Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Doctor says I gotta do it....

T

Thook

Jun 29, 2023
Hello all,
New to the forum here, but I'm looking to get some support and guidance. I have zero in my circle of a handful of friends who do none of this fitness stuff. So, I know a lot about nutrition in general, but due to severe depression I've really really let myself go in the past couple of years and the doctor says I need to lose some of this weight fast.
I bought myself around 250lbs of iron, a barbell, dumbbells, a bench, and squat rack. I've been busy since forever, but no more excuses. I just want to do this the right way because I know I don't know it all, and I have to lose at least 20-30lbs within the shortest amount of time possible. I'm 5'6 and around 175lbs. Much of that is abdominal, but spreading to the hips. As well, it's causing breathing issues and I'm told my heart is weak. With stress, I have noticed some irregular palpitations....which is why the doctor advised.. I'm only 50 and I can't go having a darn heart attack working in this heat. Anyway, there's soooooo much info on the web it's confusing, and I want to just find something simple even if it's hard that I can stick to without complicating the chaos I already live with.
I just started the cabbage soup thing after doing some reading, but I'd like to get some input on how maybe any of the other vegetarians have been able shed fast. Well, even omnivore info is welcome. If there's any supplements, I'm open to that even though I've always poo'd them in the past. I know....there's no magic bullets, but still.
Direct me to testimonials and just briefly say,"Do this damnit!!". That'd be great.
Tonight I have to establish my starting weights for the lifting. I've picked on the AllPro beginner's program. It seems simple and apparently effective.

Thank you kindly!
Matthew

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
Diet & cardio will be your best friend. From my experience the fastest way to lose weight is probably low carb, I think carb cycling is a better option. Other may disagree & that’s ok, I just know what’s worked for me. Good luck!

T

Thook

Jun 29, 2023
Diet & cardio will be your best friend. From my experience the fastest way to lose weight is probably low carb, I think carb cycling is a better option. Other may disagree & that’s ok, I just know what’s worked for me. Good luck!
Would you please go into some detail? What was your predominate food choices, what was your starting weight, end weight, and rate of fat loss? I have to take it easy on the cardio for now. Maybe after I've dropped some fat first. I do still have my bicycle, but I never really dropped any fat doing that. Which is why I decided to go with lifting for time being. My muscles have gotten very soft.

Darkness

Darkness

VIP Member
May 7, 2011
It takes a long time to know it takes a long time. New lifestyle. Get a coach to get you started if you do t know where to begin.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I agree with Wally and Darkness. Cardio, diet and get a coach. You dismissed cardio really quickly, because it didn't work for you in the past. Well, were you eating like shit in the past too? Were you eating to lose weight or were you just eating like you normally do? Were you doing cardio with the proper intensity and duration? Ditch the vegetarian diet idea unless you absolutely need to eat vegetarian for health reasons. The diet is lacking in overall health and usually leads to people eating a lot of processed breads and pastas, which will make you fat.

No one is going to give you exact diet and training advice, because we have a lot of coaches/CPT/nutritionists on here and it is how we make money. We will just point you in the right direction.

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
I am with the other guys that have responded so far. Man there are so many things you can do but that requires a lot more information than we have from you.
On the I can't do cardio yet, unless it is for health reason I'm telling you straight up...bullsh*t. You are just putting it off. 5'-6" & 175 is not too far off, you're just out of shape and will be happy dropping 20lbs and then think you're too skinny. Get off your butt and walk at a brisk pace first thing in the morning fasted for 30 minutes. What is your current nutrition like? Most likely not as good as you may think it is and probably too high in carbs & fats.
Your will notice changes just by starting training...ad the fasted walking in the morning and dialing in your nutrition will get you started. You can even do a couple 24 hour water only fasts (black coffee and unsweetened green tea are acceptable and neither will have calories or sugars). Get rid of any sugars, condiments with sugars & carbs...yes no sugar added most likely still has sugars in them and no sugar added ketchup still has carbs.

So my advice is do fasted cardio (walking briskly), write out your meals and check your macros, get rid of any sugars & bad fats, probably cut your carbs, possibly do a 24 hour fast once a week, (if it is going well possibly extend that out to 36-48 hours). This is not going to happen overnight and your largest weight loss will probably be that first couple weeks if you get your head in it and focus and stay focused.

Sound a bit harsher than the others and didn't mean to but this ball is in your court, you know what you need to do, now just get it done! Get out of your own head. Stay here, make a journal and we will help you brother, we love sharing & supporting others to success. And just for fun...if you even think about taking anything but OTC fatburners (quality) , Yohimbine, CLA, L-Carnatine I'll bitchslap the fat off of you :) Do the work and you will be happy in a couple months and traveling the road to fitness lifestyle.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I also noticed how fast you wrote off cardio. Tbh I kind of checked out after that. You ask what to do & make excuses why you can’t do it. You can’t walk?! Come on now, do you want this or not. Of course more intense cardio would be better but atleast give it a chance.

B

Bilter

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2011
Step 1: eliminate all processed foods. ALL OF THEM This will naturally reduce your cab intake substantially. If it wasn't not picked or killed don't eat it ( I prefer killed)
Step 2: add activity / cardio. Start with walking move to to biking or jogging > running.

T

Thook

Jun 29, 2023
It takes a long time to know it takes a long time. New lifestyle. Get a coach to get you started if you do t know where to begin.
I tried. Because I'm between jobs sporadically working for myself as a mobile mechanic and handyman, I can't afford the prices for a bit. I have a friend who's qualified, but he flakes out on me. So, I said eff and I'm going to do it myself best i can. I did it in college and I can do it, again.

T

Thook

Jun 29, 2023
I am with the other guys that have responded so far. Man there are so many things you can do but that requires a lot more information than we have from you.
On the I can't do cardio yet, unless it is for health reason I'm telling you straight up...bullsh*t. You are just putting it off. 5'-6" & 175 is not too far off, you're just out of shape and will be happy dropping 20lbs and then think you're too skinny. Get off your butt and walk at a brisk pace first thing in the morning fasted for 30 minutes. What is your current nutrition like? Most likely not as good as you may think it is and probably too high in carbs & fats.
Your will notice changes just by starting training...ad the fasted walking in the morning and dialing in your nutrition will get you started. You can even do a couple 24 hour water only fasts (black coffee and unsweetened green tea are acceptable and neither will have calories or sugars). Get rid of any sugars, condiments with sugars & carbs...yes no sugar added most likely still has sugars in them and no sugar added ketchup still has carbs.

So my advice is do fasted cardio (walking briskly), write out your meals and check your macros, get rid of any sugars & bad fats, probably cut your carbs, possibly do a 24 hour fast once a week, (if it is going well possibly extend that out to 36-48 hours). This is not going to happen overnight and your largest weight loss will probably be that first couple weeks if you get your head in it and focus and stay focused.

Sound a bit harsher than the others and didn't mean to but this ball is in your court, you know what you need to do, now just get it done! Get out of your own head. Stay here, make a journal and we will help you brother, we love sharing & supporting others to success. And just for fun...if you even think about taking anything but OTC fatburners (quality) , Yohimbine, CLA, L-Carnatine I'll bitchslap the fat off of you :) Do the work and you will be happy in a couple months and traveling the road to fitness lifestyle.
No really. I can't. I also have a minor back problem making jogging, jump rope, and things i used to love off limits for now. It went out on me a week ago and I couldn't even crawl under a car to put the motor in. Walking I can do. Maybe a light pack up and down the big hill that is my gravel county road driveway. Some yoga and proper lifting should fix the back, I believe
I stay away from sugar for the most part. Divorce has had me in severe depression, so I did fall of wagon some.
So, those are the good thermogenic supplements? I'll have to budget something in after I get a regular job. I'm doing well to afford food and gas right now

T

Thook

Jun 29, 2023
I agree with Wally and Darkness. Cardio, diet and get a coach. You dismissed cardio really quickly, because it didn't work for you in the past. Well, were you eating like shit in the past too? Were you eating to lose weight or were you just eating like you normally do? Were you doing cardio with the proper intensity and duration? Ditch the vegetarian diet idea unless you absolutely need to eat vegetarian for health reasons. The diet is lacking in overall health and usually leads to people eating a lot of processed breads and pastas, which will make you fat.

No one is going to give you exact diet and training advice, because we have a lot of coaches/CPT/nutritionists on here and it is how we make money. We will just point you in the right direction.
Sorry, I'm adamant about not eating meat. I don't care what anyone else does. It's a personal thing for me. So, let's not go there, please.
I eat from the natural foods store and keep it simple. Don't buy sweetened sauces, pastas, or much of anything else like that. I like some bread sourdough. Dinner tonight, for example, was a large salad with lots of egg, olives, and peppers, half a can of chili, and 3inch chunk of sourdough. Really, I do eat pretty simple and not a lot. Contrast to a few months ago when I didn't even care about living anymore. I'd eat nearly a whole pizza by myself

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Sorry, I'm adamant about not eating meat. I don't care what anyone else does. It's a personal thing for me. So, let's not go there, please.
I eat from the natural foods store and keep it simple. Don't buy sweetened sauces, pastas, or much of anything else like that. I like some bread sourdough. Dinner tonight, for example, was a large salad with lots of egg, olives, and peppers, half a can of chili, and 3inch chunk of sourdough. Really, I do eat pretty simple and not a lot. Contrast to a few months ago when I didn't even care about living anymore. I'd eat nearly a whole pizza by myself
Eat meat, don't eat meat. I do not care. I am just saying, it is not healthy to not eat a balanced diet and you need to supplement with amino acids, vitamins and minerals to make up for what you are not getting in meat.

I see a major issue with your entire thought process on food. You say you had a large salad with lots of eggs, olives, half can of chili, 3 inch chunk of sourdough. We would say, we had a 200 g of spinach, 125 g of whole eggs, 85 g of black olives, 85 g of peppers and 60 g of sourdough bread. We measure our food. You have no idea how much you are actually eating unless you measure it. I do this all the time with my clients and trail mix. I ask them to grab what they think is a serving size of trail mix or nuts. Almost every time they grab 4-7 times the serving size. What they think they are eating is 140 calories, but it is really 600-1000 calories.

No idea what is in the chili, so would not have had it unless you made it yourself, but since you said it was in a can, I assume it was not.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic