jacobss
What's New?

Day Trading or Long term?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Got any tips? ;)

I'd consult with a competent, experienced advisor with a reputable firm near you. :)

Avoid fishing for "tips". Work to manage risk. Diversify. Work with an advisor to custom build a portfolio that is best for your unique needs. Be patient. These are the most important things you can do.

Better managed mutual funds are a good place to start. A little exposure to things like precious metals, energy, and other commodities can help hedge against inflation - but they are VERY volatile. ETFs and funds are best for commodity exposure.

As far as stocks and bonds, I almost never have more than 5% of my $ in any one security for any length of time. And most holdings are smaller than that. But I like to look for value and growth. Low P/E, P/E/G, and high revenue growth, EPS, EPS growth, above average margins, etc.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Well since I posted ROIL is up .10 and Muscle Pharm $1.25. DSS continues to climb

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Lately I've had only about 15% of my own personal $ in long stock positions. I've been long another 15% on commodities (mostly gold and other metals and crude and nat gas via ETFs), and about 20% short on the S&P 500. The other 50% or so is cash.

*** I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS FOR ANYONE ELSE, BECAUSE I COULD BE WRONG, AND HAVE BEEN SO FOR THE MOST PART YTD!***

Other things I like to look for in stocks are a high return on equity and strong positive cash flow. If you're going to be more active in the markets, it's also helpful to have a good understanding of things on a macro level - a good fundamental knowledge of things like global economic cycles, interest rates and currency values, sectors, etc.

And learn to keep emotions in check - greed, fear, and ego are $ killers. Better to aspire to be rich than right in the world of investing. Even the very best are not always right - they've learned to keep mistakes minimal by correcting them early. It seems like the guys with the huge egos - who like to brag about how they're never wrong and they know it all - are the ones who don't have any $ to invest.

Last edited:
graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Biotech has and is on fire and the one thing Obamacare will fuel and drive is pharma \ Hospitals\ reitrement centers. Gilead 'GILD' is a excellent choice right now. I made a nice lil stash on them. I actually owned Pharmasett before Gilead bought them. :D Very well run company
Their close to their target price but have a pipeline of drugs coming up for fda approval.
If you got out of the market you missed a huge opportunity to re-coup all your gains and then some.
I don't like and have never owned gold. If I were to buy it it would be antique coins etc so even if gold drops you still have some value
jus my 2 cent!

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Biotech has and is on fire and the one thing Obamacare will fuel and drive is pharma \ Hospitals\ reitrement centers. Gilead 'GILD' is a excellent choice right now. I made a nice lil stash on them. I actually owned Pharmasett before Gilead bought them. :D Very well run company
Their close to their target price but have a pipeline of drugs coming up for fda approval.
If you got out of the market you missed a huge opportunity to re-coup all your gains and then some.
I don't like and have never owned gold. If I were to buy it it would be antique coins etc so even if gold drops you still have some value
jus my 2 cent!

I have long had a bit of $ in GILD myself. Two of my other favorite biotechs are Onyx and DNDN - both have great cancer drugs. Biotechs tend to be very volatile also though, and should therefore be respected. I made small fortunes loading up on both for brief periods when Nexavar and Provenge were going through trials and approvals. I remember Onyx going from the low teens up into the upper twenties in the span of a day or two, and Dendreon going from like 5 or 6 up to about 25 pretty much overnight as well. But both companies also saw sharp selloffs once the news was fully digested by the market. It's generally best to take most profits off the table quickly in such situations with the smaller biotechs.

These emerging biotech companies are also good candidates for takeovers. I made another small fortune over the course of about a week and a half about 6 years ago when activist investor Carl Icahn forced another biotech to put itself on the auction block, and that company's stock (which had been stuck in the upper thirties) shot up to 57-58 during that time when it was announced that a large pharma co had bought them at that price.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Another thing that can be useful to watch with stocks is institutional activity. When the insiders and big hedge funds and really big private investors who have to disclose buys and sells are largely moving one way into or out of a company, sector, or the market in general, I find that this is often a good confirmation that my own ideas are correct.

And when the direction is changing on increasing volume, or the volume is increasing in general, this is often a meaningful indicator. Some companies look great on paper, yet have no interest in them from big investors for whatever reason. It may be that there are things not seen in a 10-k that make the company less than desirable. If the company is in fact a true winner though, you may have to wait a while to see the price go up if there is little or no real institutional interest.

And a good indicator traditionally to take profits off the table and back away has been when retail investor $ has really started to flood in - that's usually when the smart money gets bearish. ;)

Another good bearish indicator in specific securities or sectors is when all of the analysts from each of the major retail institutions have labeled it a buy. Just as a good bullish indicator is when the last analyst has labeled it a sell. :)

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I'd consult with a competent, experienced advisor with a reputable firm near you. :)

Avoid fishing for "tips". Work to manage risk. Diversify. Work with an advisor to custom build a portfolio that is best for your unique needs. Be patient. These are the most important things you can do.

Better managed mutual funds are a good place to start. A little exposure to things like precious metals, energy, and other commodities can help hedge against inflation - but they are VERY volatile. ETFs and funds are best for commodity exposure.

As far as stocks and bonds, I almost never have more than 5% of my $ in any one security for any length of time. And most holdings are smaller than that. But I like to look for value and growth. Low P/E, P/E/G, and high revenue growth, EPS, EPS growth, above average margins, etc.

When you say reputable advisor, do you mean someone like Brian Schwabb? Or like Meryll Lynch?

I'd like to be able to sit down with someone and discuss trading and stocks.

I worked with a broker at Meryll before and had some success. But he did all the work. I'd like to learn how to read the graphs and etc.

Dex gave me a nice site to check out, and I am. But I was wondering, who can I sit down with and put a plan together?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
When you say reputable advisor, do you mean someone like Brian Schwabb? Or like Meryll Lynch?

I'd like to be able to sit down with someone and discuss trading and stocks.

I worked with a broker at Meryll before and had some success. But he did all the work. I'd like to learn how to read the graphs and etc.

Dex gave me a nice site to check out, and I am. But I was wondering, who can I sit down with and put a plan together?

Charles Schwabb is good if you are able to do it all yourself and just need an online discount broker to cheaply execute investments, trades, etc. Many discount brokers these days also have research that they share with clients who hold their $ and investments with them.

I'd recommend going to a nearby full service firm - preferably a local branch of a large firm. My top recommendations would be Wells Fargo and Goldman Sachs. Merrill, JP Morgan, and Morgan Stanley are also good. I'd go to several firms and have an experienced advisor from each of them meet with you. I'd recommend visiting the local websites of the local branches of these firms and checking out the bios of the advisors onboard. Narrow it down to one experienced advisor at each office, and give each a call at their direct extention to feel them out. If for some reason you don't get a good vibe from one advisor at any one firm, wait a few days and call another experienced advisor at the same firm. Trust in your advisor will be very important, and he or she should also be able to feel as though they can trust you as well.

You'll have an initial meeting with each advisor to feel one another out. At that first meeting (or perhaps at the second one), the advisor will need to get some very important information from you, and will at some point in the meeting pull out a questionaire. They will ask a series of questions designed to gauge your goals, time frames, liquidity needs now and in the future, risk tolerance, etc. Be open and honest.

After they've done this, they will or should get back to you in a day or two with a proposal to go over that will show you how they would plan to invest your $ based upon what you told them about yourself and your situation. They should explain things to you such as risk, charges, fee structures, any penalties, etc. Ask them detailed questions - why they are recommending this or that strategy or investment, what happens if this or that happens, etc.

After you've compared what several experienced advisors at several reputable firms propose to do for you, you can make an informed decision from there.

Those big firms (and pretty much all experienced advisors at all firms) prefer big money clients - typically $250k or more in investable assets. If you don't have that kind of $ yet, I'd tell whoever you talk to right up front what you DO have, but let them know that you plan to have some big $ coming in eventually. This way they don't blow you off, and for the time being they put your $ into a platform with fee structures that won't eat up large chunks of your smaller nest egg.

You can go to your local bank, but those advisors tend to be limited as to what they can offer and what they actually know, and are usually in the advisor position there because they knew the right person and got promoted up over time from teller to retail banker to advisor.

Insurance agents who a licensed to do investments also tend to be limited in what they can offer on the investment side in terms of actual products and knowledge of investments. The fees they charge also tend to be high.

And smaller firms and independent shops can be very risky to do business with in and of themselves for a variety of reasons. There are plenty of reasons you never hear about a broker at a LARGE firm getting caught for running a Ponzi scheme. Larger publicly traded firms are generally more stable and transparent, and you have the comfort of knowing that your $ is SIPC insured for a half mil and also insured against things like employee theft.

As for doing it yourself, I'd think long and hard about that. Some people have the time and aptitude and can learn to manage their own $ well. But most do not, mainly due to emotions (fear, greed, ego, etc) getting in the way. If you do decide to eventually do your own, I'd recommend taking a long term approach and educating yourself on long term investing for many months or perhaps even years before you make your first trade.

Personally, I did my own investments for years without any formal training. Had some ups and downs, and really learned a great deal once I became an advisor at a large firm myself for a couple of years. I have since gone independent, and now run what is commonly known as a small "hedge fund". I have a small number of investors (mainly family and a few old friends and old clients) who are all "accredited" - have at least $2 mil in assets and / or earn at least $250k per year. Totally different ballgame.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Been day trading and swing trading futures for almost 5 years now.
I have a handful of clients, a blog, youtube channel, futures trading group, etc.
It's everything to me. Training and trading. Doesn't get any better.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks JR that helps a ton!

I like the idea of meeting up with different advisors.

Thanks a lot man.

Ctj, can you pm me your YouTube channel?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic