Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Crossfit and Bodybuilding

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Here's Kendrick Ferris (Weightlifter) doing "Isabele" 30 Power Snatches at 135# for time

Another athlete doing it. Amazing time with good form in at 1:17.

Now if a ton of cardio and running were programmed and then immediately after
you had to do Isabele...then that would be terrible programming but that's not
something you will ever see because everyone knows that's a terrible idea
and has a high potential for injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
I saw some of the crossfit games and i can respect the level of intensity and training that goes into what they do. I wouldn't be able to do some of that shit. But i know a couple guys that crossed over to crossfit from bodybuilding and they have lost a significant amount of muscle doing it. I mean if your goal is to snatch and squat progressively heavier weights in record time, or win a foot race carrying a 150lb bag, then crossfit is for you; but if your goal is to pack on lean body mass and build a muscular physique then bodybuilding is probably gonna help you achieve that goal over crossfit

CTJ, what's your stats? What's your physique look like? I mean i can post up pics of Arnold in his prime, Cutler, Coleman, Kai, etc and say that bodybuilding is superior but i let my own stats and physique do the talking for me:

6' 215-220lbs with less than 12% bf

Like somebody said earlier, those guys didn't build those physiques doing crossfit

Last edited:
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Oly. Movements for 15 or 30 reps......not this guy. That's why I chose the place I did because they will let me make those modifications. I've made my feelings known to them re. That and they are OK with it. I'm there for the conditioning aspects. As far a a bb. I would think that it could be good on a limited basis. Otherwise I don't think it has good carry over

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I did a bit of Oly lifting. Was always taught to snatch in 2's and clean in 3's.....that's why I hate CrossFit.

Oh yeah, and because of most CrossFitters. Either way, I don't spend much of my day worrying about it. Also, some of the CrossFit chicks on ESPN are hot as shit!!!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You can't use Ferris as an example. He's an outlier. He is a World Level Oly lifter so performing a snatch with a 1/3 of the weight he can do would be easy for him and also he's been training Oly lifting for what seems like forever. He was a top guy back when I was an Oly lifter.

Personally, I don't have anything against doing 75 reps of Snatches and C& J but they should broken down to sets of triples or at the very most sets of 5 and you work up to that kind of volume... you sure as hell don't start with it. When I was an Oly lifter I would perform easily a hundred C&J and snatches in the course of a week but it was done correctly and with direct supervision of one of the top Oly liting coaches in US history. And I only trained the lifts 3x week b/c I was a SHW.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I posted a honda after the ferrari for reference. The honda killed it though.
That guy is a sponsored athlete as well. It takes me just over 3 minutes to do that workout (1RM snatch of 225)
I agree with with breaking up the snatches. It's basically a must. I'm pretty much doing doubles or singles
the whole time.

@dieyoungstrong - So your thinking is you were taught how to do doubles and triples and someone else
decides to do it differently so you hate them? Seems logical, bro.

However, good news for you because most serious CF athletes work on double and triples quite frequently. I do a variation of a Takano weightlifting program.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
You can't use Ferris as an example. He's an outlier. .

You also can't use beginning or intermediate Crossfit guys with poor physiques or form and use them as the example of why
you dislike crossfit. (not that you do it, but I see it as common leverage against why someone doesn't like CF).

I've said it before, that's like watching a pee wee football game and saying you dislike college football because of it.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
@dieyoungstrong - So your thinking is you were taught how to do doubles and triples and someone else
decides to do it differently so you hate them? Seems logical, bro.

However, good news for you because most serious CF athletes work on double and triples quite frequently. I do a variation of a Takano weightlifting program.

I didn't actually mean that like I said. It's fine to build volume through doubles and triples. That's just how I was taught. Nothing or nobody is going to convince me that doing snatches for time or 25 reps or whatever else they do is good and doesn't lead to lots of unecessary injuries. I only did Oly lifting for about a year because I really wasn't wild about the training, but I wanted to try it out.

I know the top guys don't do regular WODs from the websites.

The main problem I have with it, is all a guy needs to do to coach "Crossfit" is go to a few seminars, fork over a few thousand, and he has himself a box where he is teaching Olympic lifts to people. I'm sorry, but that is fukked up. Yes, there's bad gyms and great gyms, bad boxes and great ones. The difference is that when some shmuck sees the crossfit games on ESPN and decides he's going to do crossfit, he has no idea about what makes a good box vs bad one.

If the same guy goes to a Planet Fitness, he gets pizza and hops on a few machines and goes home. The potential for the guy getting seriously injured is much less then going to some guy who took a few seminars on Oly lifting and thinks he's fit to coach.

Hittin

Hittin

VIP Member
Jan 24, 2012
Here's Kendrick Ferris (Weightlifter) doing "Isabele" 30 Power Snatches at 135# for time

Another athlete doing it. Amazing time with good form in at 1:17.

Now if a ton of cardio and running were programmed and then immediately after
you had to do Isabele...then that would be terrible programming but that's not
something you will ever see because everyone knows that's a terrible idea
and has a high potential for injury.

Horrible and absurd comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I saw some of the crossfit games and i can respect the level of intensity and training that goes into what they do. I wouldn't be able to do some of that shit. But i know a couple guys that crossed over to crossfit from bodybuilding and they have lost a significant amount of muscle doing it. I mean if your goal is to snatch and squat progressively heavier weights in record time, or win a foot race carrying a 150lb bag, then crossfit is for you; but if your goal is to pack on lean body mass and build a muscular physique then bodybuilding is probably gonna help you achieve that goal over crossfit

CTJ, what's your stats? What's your physique look like? I mean i can post up pics of Arnold in his prime, Cutler, Coleman, Kai, etc and say that bodybuilding is superior but i let my own stats and physique do the talking for me:

6' 215-220lbs with less than 12% bf

Like somebody said earlier, those guys didn't build those physiques doing crossfit

I've posted a ton of pics and videos of me in my journal.
I was 192 at my heaviest natural bodybuilding.
Started at 145lbs at 21 years old and built up to that 192 over 4 years. Stopped completely for 3 years because it got boring.
Got back into training with CF because it was different. Now I sit around 175-180lbs at 10% at 5'9". That's me in my avatar.
Again, more pictures and videos in my journal.

I don't care that much about size these days. I would like to be bigger but it's not a big deal either way. I feel good.
Nobody thinks CF style of working out is superior to bodybuilding for building size. That's absurd.

I do power lifting, weightlifting, and metabolic conditioning with CF.
Max DL 500lbs
Max squat 415
Max bench 275

tDIpioK.jpg

yGRnPUU.png

Last edited:
Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
i got no problem with CF beside that fact ,most of the guys are major dorks...but the girls are nice...and whats up with the pink socks all CFs wear?

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
i got no problem with CF beside that fact ,most of the guys are major dorks...but the girls are nice...and whats up with the pink socks all CFs wear?

Are you kidding me, Bro Bundy? lol The amount of dorks in bodybuilding is off the charts.
Not sure about the socks bro. I don't wear long socks.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic