Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Atmae Fitness training log, hopefully it will interest someone...

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Yeah, I've had a couple of looks at your log, sorry haven't got round to commenting on it yet as still setting things up and getting bearings etc, but will be following. I like crossfit training and use it myself, come off it for a bit know as my goals are more specific but you will see the odd WOD pop in my training.

all the best

Yeah same here. Concentrating more on power and oly at the moment but I'll throw in a metcon that I like 2-3x a week to keep my conditioning up.
I'm also trying to average 2.7k in rowing per day, everyday. Amazing results with it so far.

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
Hi all,

Just to outline where am at with my main lifts/exercises and the planned progression over the next few months.

My main goal is the TSC so my main programming is for Deadlift, Pull ups & K/B Snatches with other exercises taking a secondary consideration to these.

Deadlift
My current best is 255kg(561). I hit that for the first time recently after a 4 week cycle with the max test in the 5th week. The last 3 weeks I’ve just done 3x3 70%, 3x3 80% and tomorrow I’ll be going for 3x3 90%, which then takes me to the main plan for the next 10 weeks which is the Smolov plan for deadlifts. The Prep cycle differs from the Squat plan but was written by the same guy (Feduleyev). There's three workouts a week which I’ll be doing Tues, Fri & Sun.

Smolov DL Prep Cycle:

WeekWorkout 1Workout 2Workout 3
1Back Hyper 5x5Pyramid DL 40%x5rx2
50-60%x6x6
GM with a jump (bodyweight only)4rx5
DL on box 60%x4, 70%x4, 80%x4rx5
DL off blocks 70%x4,
80%x4, 85-90%x4rx5
2Speed DL 60%x3
70%x3, 80%x6rx3s
Good Mornings (GM)
6x6
Pyramid DL 50%x6rx2
60%x6rx7
DL 60%x4, 70%x4, 80-85%x4rx6
DL off blocks 70%x3,
80%x3, 90x3rx5
3Pyramid DL 50%x6rx2
60%x6rx7
Back Hyper 5rx6
GM with a jump (bodyweight only)5rx6
DL 70%x3, 80%x3rx2, 85%x2r, 90-95%x2rx2,
85%x5rx2
GMx6x6
4DL on box 70-75%4x4,
80-85%x 4rx5
DL off blocks 70%x3,
80%x3, 90-95%x3rx6

DL 70%x3, 80%x3, 85%x3, 90%x3rx5Pyramid DL
50-55% x6rx2
60-65%x6rx7
Back Hyper 6x6

After this I’ll retest my max lift and use the new lift for the next lot of %. There is a two week switching cycle between this phase and the next. There is no set plan but the focus is on speed.
I haven’t got a ‘pre-set’ plan for the peaking phase just the guidelines to use similar loading schedule to the squat programme with 2-3-2-2 high volume/high intensity DL sessions in each of the four weeks, so will be setting up my plan under these guidelines over the next few weeks.

If you are going to use this in programme in the lead up to a comp it says the last heavy ‘shock’ DL must be planned no later than 10 days b4 the meet. Then just keep pulling light for technique & maintenance.

This is my first time going through this programme but based on my previous experience of Smolov I hope to put at least 20kg onto my DL by the end which will take me to my 275kg(605) min target.

Pull ups

With these I’m aiming to hit 25+ bodyweight tactical pull ups. I like working under the principle of moving less is easier when you can already do more. So at present I’m doing the set sessions of pull ups with a 16kg K/B. Looking to build up to the 15-20rep mark with this and then I’ll either restart the progression with a heavy weight or may use a different programme, a lot depends on how I progress with the current method.

I’m hitting these 3 sessions per week for 5 sets per sessions. the plan builds up the volume gradually and at the moment I’m around the 6/7rep per set mark. I follow this in a straight progression with tests every 3 weeks that set the next rep scheme. If I hit a sticking point I’ll back off for a couple of weeks and repeat.

I also hit quite a few bwt pull ups through the week on the rings &/or bar but nothing too challenging.

K/B Snatches

I think hitting the target on these (150+ in 5min) is going to be the toughest challenge of the three at the mo.

Working through a progression with the test size kb (24kg) right now which I’ve been on for six weeks so far. Start easy with 5reps each side on the minute for 14minutes and work down each session taking a minute of and adding a rep to each side until 14/14 on the minute for 5mins which will give me 140 in 5min.

At 10/10 for 9 minutes stage now. As the reps get more challenging will look to stay on each stage for 2 weeks to make sure completing it comfortable, if I hit any blocks will back off a couple of weeks and start using more of a wave method.

Once I get to the 14/14 I’ll move the weight up to the 32kg and either repeat this progression or use a slightly different one.

I only hit the snatch session once a week and use a mix of k/b based assistance work as well, which also has beneficial transfer to the deadlifts.

So that sums up the main targets for the next few months, I’ll post again over the next couple of days outlining my secondary targets/work & progressions which will be for Bench, k/b clean & presses and Squats.

I’m travelling about next week so won’t be training in my regular place, but will be starting the deadlift programme tues 3rd feb. At present I train 5 days per week with Monday and Thursday as rest days.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yes. I used to squat high bar narrow stance Oly style back squat and I've transitioned to a low bar medium stance powerlifting 'esque squat stance. It has helped many pounds to my lift. In fact I'm lifting more and I'm much lighter than I used to be. If you're thinking of low bar squatting, I suggest you incorp. good mornings into your training. It does take some time to get used to but since you're focusing on your pulls you'll have plenty of time to get your technique down.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
So much knowledge in here, this is a great log already! The smolov dl layout looks interesting. How long do you run it for?

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
So much knowledge in here, this is a great log already! The smolov dl layout looks interesting. How long do you run it for?

Thanks,

I'm going to be running it for 10 weeks, 4 week prep cycle, 2 week switch phase, 4 week main cycle. Then I'll break/deload for a week or two b4 starting a different programme.

There is a week intro phase which you can do b4 the prep cycle if you haven't dl for a while which involves dl on three consecutive days at gradually increasing %. The switch phase can be 1 or 2 weeks. If you follow it in a lead up to a comp you'd add your usual peaking/pre-comp week onto the end as long as it fits within the guidelines.

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
Yes. I used to squat high bar narrow stance Oly style back squat and I've transitioned to a low bar medium stance powerlifting 'esque squat stance. It has helped many pounds to my lift. In fact I'm lifting more and I'm much lighter than I used to be. If you're thinking of low bar squatting, I suggest you incorp. good mornings into your training. It does take some time to get used to but since you're focusing on your pulls you'll have plenty of time to get your technique down.

Thanks, good to know I'm moving in the right direction.

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
Hi all

Just going to outline my secondary programming considerations which are bench, squat and KB clean and press, basic gymnastic skills.

Bench
At the moment I am working through a relatively simple 8 week cycle which follows the format

Week 1&2 60% 4x10 reps
Week 3&4 70% 5x6 reps
Week 5&6 80% 6x5 reps
Week 7&8 90% 3x3reps

All reps are done with a 2-3 sec pause.
Currently on week 5 off this cycle. My current 1rm is 155kg(341) and all % are done off this figure. I'll do a 1rm test shortly after the end of this and then run a different bench cycle/programme.

Squat
I'm currently in a phase of changing my squat style from OLY to PL so whilst following the Smolov DL am mainly just going to be doing technique work. I'll also be working on my single leg squats (B/W) technique twice a week performing 3x5 reps day 1 and various iso holds an a 2nd day.

In relative terms my Squat is my weakest lift out of the main three PLs. I managed to bring it up quite significantly with the smolov programme last year (from 150kg to 180kg) However my current max would be around the 170kg mark. I think my main problem is due to the other training goals I engage in I don't really let my legs recover as much as they should for optimal strength. When I ran the Smolov for squats I cut out all extra leg based cardio for the duration.

After I finish the Smolv DL I will look at bringing my squats up again, really would like to get to the 200kg+ mark as I think this would represent a better balance between the main lifts. Got a few programme ideas I'm looking over at the mo but basically need to implement one that will allow me to effectively build max strength whilst allowing my legs to stay fresh enough for other activity.

KB Clean & Press
For these I'm using the ladder progression method.

Basically start 3 sets of 3 rung ladders - 1 rep each side, 2 reps each side, 3 reps each side would be a 3 rung ladder. In between each rung you do a B/W exercise, usually I do a pull up variation, for the equivalent number to the rung (eg 1 rep, 2rep, 3rep). Active rest of 3-5 mins between sets performing something like skipping/jogging/shadow box etc.

Each week move up by adding another rung or set until you hit 5 sets of 5 rung ladders.
There's various ways you can build this but something like 3x3, 4x3, 5x3, 3x4, 4x4, 5x4, 3x5, 4x5, 5x5. Once you complete 5x5 get the next size KB at restart at 3x3.

All the reps should be completed with perfect form and do not fail on any reps, just build up the volume nice and easy.

I'm currently at the 32kg (70) KB for 5x4 ladders.

Gymnastic 'skills'
I put the skills in '' as I don't think the stage I'm at quite qualifies as skill yet. I'm working on getting the planche as this is a base move which once you can do will provide a good base to perform other moves. just following a basic progression template which involves different stages of holds. Once you master one stage you move onto the other. I'm at the first stage of progression and it id estimated that it would take a minimum of 6months to be able to perform the full move. I basically just throw the progressions into the warm ups and/or cooldown phase of my main session.

The other skill is work on the rings including the muscle up. can do a muscle ups on the bar and learnt this after following a programme last year, then went and got a set of rings and quickly found it was a whole different ball game. As with the planche have a few progressions to work through and throw these into the warm up/cool down phase.

That basically catches up to where I'm at and where I'm hoping to get to. Will start posting the real time training from next week.

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
Workout Tue 3rd Feb
Warm up & tech
inc:
Mobility drills
Glute Bridge 3x10
Squat tech:
Face Wall Squats 3x10
Box Squats 3x10

Main:
Single leg Box Squats 3x5 (2min r/p)
Back Ext 5x5 15kg, 25kg, 30kg, 30kg, 30kg (2min r/p)
WT Pull ups (16kg) 6, 5, 4, 5, 6 (2min r/p)

Stretching

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
Workout Wed 4th Feb

Warm up inc:
Mobility Drills
Skipping
Hardstyle plank 3x10 sec
Bench

Main:
Bench 1x5r @ 125kg, 5x5r @ 120 (3-5min r/p)
(target was 6x5r 125kg (80%1rm) all with 2-3sec pause, however needed spotter to assist on first set so scaled back wt)
Rings practice 20min - Dips, press ups, baby muscle ups & various static holds
24kg KB Snatches 11/11 on the minute every minute for 8min

Stretching

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Nice work dude!

I would love to be able to do a planch on the floor. I am not sure how to work up to doing it though.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic