Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Are biceps curls with STRAIGHT bars safe or not?

D

doukkali

Apr 12, 2014
thats a whole different ball game.. anyway,if I could go back 20 years, I would have stopped direct bicep training all together, it is when I started 5x5 training, the first time in my weightlifting ''career'' my arms grew to a very respectable muscular 19 5/8''...just something for you to think about.

I know the 5x5 routine, it bears some risks from back squat and mixed grip deadlift. Mehdi, the guy who partially promoted it, is Moroccan like me but I disagree with 60% of his "teaching". I think that heavy loads should never be put on the top of the body during squats. This is just my personal opinion and thank your for the advice.

D

doukkali

Apr 12, 2014
I tore my pec in half doing 90lb flys. Took 9 yrs to fully recover. I screamed like a little girl. For a long time lol
Ouch, this makes me feel scared. Happy to see you lifting again !

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
I would think most of the wrist damage is done at the bottom of the motion. I know when Arnold did these he "helped" the weight up from the bottom by swinging it a bit. I'm guessing this is how he avoided the wrist issues. Also it seems like most of the benefit of heavy weight barbell curls would come in the second half of the motion during the contraction and trying to lift the weight from the bottom with just your arms would also put undue strain on the deltoids.

FYI, I like to use reverse grip only for this exercise to avoid any issues. Great way to hit the outer head

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
It is very dangerous. IF you do it in THE SQUAT RACK!Other than that they are ok. Only go super heavy once a month.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
I know the 5x5 routine, it bears some risks from back squat and mixed grip deadlift. Mehdi, the guy who partially promoted it, is Moroccan like me but I disagree with 60% of his "teaching". I think that heavy loads should never be put on the top of the body during squats. This is just my personal opinion and thank your for the advice.

Without heavy squats, it will take you twice the time to build your arms,if you build them at all.Just ask everybody

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you're not squatting heavy than you're just wasting your time and you should pick up crochet...

D

doukkali

Apr 12, 2014
Without heavy squats, it will take you twice the time to build your arms,if you build them at all.Just ask everybody
Are you saying that barbell hack squat and zercher squats are not squats?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Are you saying that barbell hack squat and zercher squats are not squats?

What he's saying is the foundation of any good program is centered around the back squat. Zerchers are good but Oly front squats would be better unless you are training for strongman. Hacks are a personal choice... I'm not a big fan of them unless you perform them old school with a bar behind you.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic