245 x 1 (Vid)
275 x 2
295 x 3 (Vid)
305 x 1 (Vid)
305 x 1 (Vid)
305 x 1 (Vid)

275 x 1 (Vid)
275 x 2, FAIL (Vid)

more hot garbage today....hindered once again by bicep pain....flossed after the the way too hard 305 singles, still couldn't manage what was supposed to be 5 triples @ 275....I go through this at least once a month, still doesn't make it less frustrating...the pain makes it impossible to build power out of the hole....in the vid you can see how much harder it is for me to control the descent, and when reversing the movement I lose the ability to keep everything in line, mostly because of how much it hurts to keep the arms flexed, because of crazy sharp pain in my triceps and biceps...will chalk it up as a loss, while trying to avoid swinging my fists through any random walls.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
that bicep pain has me a little nervous for you ... any chance you can do a cycle where you drop the weight a bit and add some reps? Instead of heavy doubles/triples, stay in the 5 to 6 rep range? A 275x3 is 825lbs per set. Maybe doing 200x5 instead (1000lbs per set) might help you still maintain/build strength, but give that bicep a chance to heal.

You may want to add in some bicep curls as accessory work. A lot of powerlifters tear their biceps, and some of them admit afterwards that they never did bicep isolation work. I hate doing it, but a torn bicep freaks me out (as it has been described to me) and so I try to do some bicep curls once a week at least. Not too heavy, but enough to make the muscle get stronger.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
I can only assume it's tendinitis....a sightly different feeling than when I had it in my forearms during my wannabe BB days....also no real shoulder issues which usually is a sign but, not sure what else it could be...Flossing has been the only helpful thing to do, although temporary...last week I added BB curls at the end of my bench day, and have been doing bi's and abs on fridays, along with some isolation work on my Fluff day...it's been kept at bay here and there...the last time it prevented me from finishing a workout was 3 weeks ago, and even then I finished my backoff 5x4....

it's really frustrating since coming back from injury a couple months back, bench was the slowest developing lift, until recently, where it's been probably my best out of the 3...

appreciate the insight CL...a deload of some sort like you mentioned may help...I'm going to surf the net some more, see how much I can learn about it, and hopefully keep plugging away....

any and all critiques/opinions are always appreciated...

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
if you are confident in thinking its tendonitis, then you may want to look at getting some kind of pain relief cream like Capzasin, or Screamin' Hot Toast to apply before your workout. It takes a bit to get use to, but it definitely numbs the tender areas pretty good.

Also, flossing is good and was helpful to me, but I have come to rely on rolling and smashing my elbow and forearm areas to help promote recovery. Right around the 1:00 mark of my last video, I recorded a brief snippet of video rolling my forearm and elbow. It's hard to tell, but I'm smashing my arm up into the rolling pin in order to break up that tendonitis gunk. You may want to see if lacrosse ball/rollingpin-type can break up some of that gunk in conjunction with the flossing?

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
I hate to say this, but if flossing, smashing, flushing (high-rep curls), and TENS unit are not working and you can't find a workaround (angle or grip changes, etc.), you might have to rest it and take NSAIDS until you are out of the acute stage to reduce the inflammation and swelling.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Everyone has given legit advice.
PT that to death and please don't tear.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
If it's tendonitis the ONLY thing that'll help is giving that tendon a break. I used to dig ditches for a living and it wasn't until I stopped that my tendonitis went away. It fuxking sucks to say, even worse to hear, but tendonitis is no joke and rest and anti-inflammatories with good hydration is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
if you are confident in thinking its tendonitis, then you may want to look at getting some kind of pain relief cream like Capzasin, or Screamin' Hot Toast to apply before your workout. It takes a bit to get use to, but it definitely numbs the tender areas pretty good.

Also, flossing is good and was helpful to me, but I have come to rely on rolling and smashing my elbow and forearm areas to help promote recovery. Right around the 1:00 mark of my last video, I recorded a brief snippet of video rolling my forearm and elbow. It's hard to tell, but I'm smashing my arm up into the rolling pin in order to break up that tendonitis gunk. You may want to see if lacrosse ball/rollingpin-type can break up some of that gunk in conjunction with the flossing?

I bathe in screaming toast. Good stuff and it does help A LOT.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015

thanks CL...I used to religiously hit the arm with a tennis ball, but got lazy...it's officially back in the daily rotation...

I hate to say this, but if flossing, smashing, flushing (high-rep curls), and TENS unit are not working and you can't find a workaround (angle or grip changes, etc.), you might have to rest it and take NSAIDS until you are out of the acute stage to reduce the inflammation and swelling.

yesterday, smashing, flossing, and 2 15 rep sets of slow 4 count eccentric 15 lb curls were heaven sent...iced em afterwards...as of right now, feel great....

If it's tendonitis the ONLY thing that'll help is giving that tendon a break. I used to dig ditches for a living and it wasn't until I stopped that my tendonitis went away. It fuxking sucks to say, even worse to hear, but tendonitis is no joke and rest and anti-inflammatories with good hydration is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea...similar experience when I had it in both forearms...only went away when I stopped...hydration is on point, gallon and half a day, and will stick to at least 2 sets of the lightweight high rep eccentric curls along with rolling, floss, and ice daily...lately it has only flared up once or twice a month, stopping me from hitting the volume I want, but hasn't really hurt during regular daily activities...

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
5/28/16

Sumo Deadlift

135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 1
395 x 1 (Vid)
435 x 3 (Vid - Belt from here on)
450 x 2 (Vid)
450 x 2 (Vid)
460 x 1 (Vid)
460 x 1 (Vid - cutting skills suck, somehow only got 2nd half of lift)

Deficit Conv. (Beltless - 2 inch plate)

345 x 3 (Vid)
350 x 4 (Vid)
355 x 5 (Vid)
385 x 2 (Vid)

Deficit SLDL (Belt on - 2 inch plate)

315 x 5 (Vid)

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Im jelly, those pulls looked way too easy! Nice to see the kiddo down there with you, mine will come use the lat pull down then lay down on the bench and draw! Its great to expose them to healthy habits so young. Do you always pull sumo or mix it up with conv?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic