Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Your grip power is important

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Get liquid chalk if you can't use real stuff.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
You can only move what you can hold on to in the real world.

If this is your goal then you should train accordingly. Just curious, what do you do in real life that requires you to move 700 pounds around with any regularity?

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
If this is your goal then you should train accordingly. Just curious, what do you do in real life that requires you to move 700 pounds around with any regularity?
In construction I move around things not quite 700 lbs but I move them often enough that it's nice to do it without struggling.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
In construction I move around things not quite 700 lbs but I move them often enough that it's nice to do it without struggling.

I can appreciate that.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011

He teaches BJJ which requires as strong of grip as he can possibly have for opponent control, as for his job beyond that I do not know.

I know some farm workers and mechanics who use such a skill on a regular basis, it may not be 700lbs but that wasn't the important part of that post. As you may or may not know #s relating to plates of iron on a bar are not directly transferable to other activities like lifting odd objects and such, not saying they don't help but moving 700lbs on a bar isn't the same as moving an engine block, a fridge, a big stone in a farmers field etc.

It depends on your goals but a little more focus in that area would help even if it only means bigger forearms for vanity.

Fitter x

Fitter x

Nov 13, 2011
I just got back from Tn working on a coal fired powerhouse. I'm a pipefitter. The pipe I was working weighed 68lbs a foot. The flange connections had to be torqued to 1025 ft lbs. No grip = no job. It's nice when they come and get me and my Bro for this work cause not many can hold the wrench and pull it.
I train for strength, it helps for job security.

Last edited:
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
He teaches BJJ which requires as strong of grip as he can possibly have for opponent control, as for his job beyond that I do not know.
Gunslinger teaches BJJ?

Anyway, like I said, we all have different goals. I don't need to use my workout to better prepare for my RL job. I've been in the credit card industry for years and they don't weigh much. The debt that they cause.... well that's a different story :)

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I just got back from Tn working on a coal fired powerhouse. I'm a pipefitter. The pipe I was working weighed 68lbs a foot. The flange connections had to be torqued to 1025 ft lbs. No grip = no job. It's nice when they come and get me and my Bro for this work cause not many can hold the wrench and pull it.
I train for strength, it helps for job security.
with your handle I was wondering if you were also a fitter.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I don't think my grip is what it used to be, I used to do alot of pull ups and train forearms... My forearms are tiny compared to what they used to be :( but I can still pull 500lbs raw :)
As far as chalk goes, if a gym doesn't allow it then I'd get kicked out of there and find a new spot.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010

I worked construction off and on for years when I was younger. Yes being stronger helped a lot.

NutNut said:

Exactly. My hands need to be like hooks, once I get an arm or lapel I can have my grip giving way.

Bowhunter

Bowhunter

Oct 12, 2010
CTS can also impact ones grip. I have it in both hands, so I use straps - especially for pulling.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic