Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Women’s wrestling

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I am happy to see it. Even better, is that woman's college wrestling wrestles freestyle. It makes them more competitive against the rest of the world.

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
I am happy to see it. Even better, is that woman's college wrestling wrestles freestyle. It makes them more competitive against the rest of the world.
Definitely prepares them if they want to pursue the next level (Olympic/international) competition. My daughter likes folkstyle WAY more though. She says it’s harder and more grueling when you gotta fight to get off bottom and not just lay flat and hope you don’t get rolled, lol. I actually like watching folkstyle more as well, whole other set of nerves kick in when she chooses bottom or the other girl chooses top, freestyle seems like it’s missing half of wrestling

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Definitely prepares them if they want to pursue the next level (Olympic/international) competition. My daughter likes folkstyle WAY more though. She says it’s harder and more grueling when you gotta fight to get off bottom and not just lay flat and hope you don’t get rolled, lol. I actually like watching folkstyle more as well, whole other set of nerves kick in when she chooses bottom or the other girl chooses top, freestyle seems like it’s missing half of wrestling
I was always an offensive minded wrestler and slams are my go to. I would sacrifice a lot of energy to drop someone hard. We used to get away with it in folkstyle in the 80's and 90's. Now, even a legal slam gets stopped a lot of times for an injury timeout when they should wrestle until there is a stop in the action, which is usually after the wrestler who got dropped is flat on their back. Where in freestyle, "Does he look dead, no, wrestle on." Haha.

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
I was always an offensive minded wrestler and slams are my go to. I would sacrifice a lot of energy to drop someone hard. We used to get away with it in folkstyle in the 80's and 90's. Now, even a legal slam gets stopped a lot of times for an injury timeout when they should wrestle until there is a stop in the action, which is usually after the wrestler who got dropped is flat on their back. Where in freestyle, "Does he look dead, no, wrestle on." Haha.
Very true, on the feet freestyle is definitely more exciting. The main reason I think she likes folkstyle is just the fact that she’s trained it way more and feels more comfortable wrestling it. She has great takedowns and known for big double legs where she gets them up high and smashes them into the mat pretty hard. This is from their first meet this year.

Attachments

• IMG_8055.jpeg
    IMG_8055.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 42
genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Brother she is climbing the ladder.

Another thing I love about woman's wrestling is their maturity, physical and mental. Underclassmen develop fast and you often see them contend with seniors quickly across the board. Hell, a high school freshman just wrecked the #1 ranked woman in college in her weight class. That is a 14-15 year old beating the #1 ranked college athlete. The playing field is much more even. You don't see that on the guys side. Sure, every once in a while a high school senior will beat an all-american, but that is guy 1 year removed from college. Huge difference.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
It is a great opportunity for girls to compete, gain confidence and strength, possibility at scholarships. How long until they let men pretending to be women compete and mess it all up. I hope not but you know it will happen.

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
Brother she is climbing the ladder.

Another thing I love about woman's wrestling is their maturity, physical and mental. Underclassmen develop fast and you often see them contend with seniors quickly across the board. Hell, a high school freshman just wrecked the #1 ranked woman in college in her weight class. That is a 14-15 year old beating the #1 ranked college athlete. The playing field is much more even. You don't see that on the guys side. Sure, every once in a while a high school senior will beat an all-american, but that is guy 1 year removed from college. Huge difference.
Yes she is, thanks brother, she’s definitely been putting in the work….

And yep, two different worlds, girls and boys wrestling that’s for sure.

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
It is a great opportunity for girls to compete, gain confidence and strength, possibility at scholarships. How long until they let men pretending to be women compete and mess it all up. I hope not but you know it will happen.

So good for them mentally and physically. My daughter had already built up some of the physical/mental toughness through jiu jitsu and competitions but most of her teammates are just girl athletes they grabbed from another sport. Some the coach’s saw in the cafeteria and thought maybe they weigh what we need to fill that spot, lol… the growth I’ve see in those girls from wrestling the last few years is awesome to see. I was never involved in wrestling growing up but glad I am now, my wife and kids also love it.

luckily we haven’t seen any boys trying to compete in the girls division and haven’t even heard much of it around the country like some other sports.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Yea, I watched the video of the girl in the link, and she sounded really grounded and answered the questions with good humility. I love that!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic