Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Where's the beef?

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
Costco has some incredible sirloins packed in bulk packs. They have choice and prime. The prime is only $1 more a lb. I think it is $8, but they are the most tender sirloins I have ever had. They are about 2.5" think and each steak is about 12-16oz. I use them for a bunch of our red meat needs. But we even enjoy them just as steaks. I sear each of them for 1.5min on each side w/ butter in a cast iron pan, and then put them on a tray w/ meat thermometer into a 275 oven and cook until 115. I get no arguments from the kids or wife, and normally they only want fillet ;)

But I have not seen a place with as good quality of meat at consistently good pricing as costo. We have a higher end chain store here as well, that will often run 'loss leader' meat sales and I stock up when they do good sales as well.
Wish I had a Costco close by. All I have is Sams club. While there steaks are good, the pricing and availability isn’t great.
They have a fair deal on 93/7, but I still spend too much on meats.

I’m a big fan of reverse searing steaks. I put them on a drying rack in the oven ~225 and bring them up to 100-105, then throw it in the cast iron and sear up to final temp. Nice dry crispy outside.

I love crispy steaks. This pic is one I had a restaurant recently. Basically charred on the outside. Not sure how they pull that off, unless they torch it…which I may try sometime soon.

Attachments

• IMG_8965.jpeg
    IMG_8965.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 39
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I haven't bought sirloin in a long time. I think the last time I did was many years back at Costco for like $5'ish something dollars per pound. It was pretty good. However, I mostly would buy Tri-Tip when I went. The tri-tip back a few years ago was between $5-6'ish something per pound, now it's between 7-8'ish. Costco seems to have better quality compared to all the other stores out here.

I haven't bought much red meat for most of the past 1-2 years because prices suck ass. I bought tri-tip for my daughter's birthday in November. The 93/7 lean ground beef is like 5-7 dollars per pound. At Aldi's, they actually have the 93/7 grass-fed beef for like $4.99/# if you get the 3x20oz prepackaged option.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
They have prime t-bones or NY strips on sale for $6.99 lbs I saw in an add here. Neither are my fav but they are still good. I want a 1.25" thick prime ribeye but those are $$$$$$$$$

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Nice one! I am a doe slayer. If it is a big enough buck, I will shoot it, but it needs to be 4 years old and I don't run into them that often.
I'm not a trophy hunter but I want 4 on one side. That one is top 3 of my biggest. I normally take a buck and doe with either a bow or Xbow depending on if I lift right before hitting the woods.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I'm not a trophy hunter but I want 4 on one side. That one is top 3 of my biggest. I normally take a buck and doe with either a bow or Xbow depending on if I lift right before hitting the woods.
Where I hunt, the law is 4 point on one side minimum for bucks, which is nice. You get a lot more bucks making it to that 3+ year mark.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Got two good friends that hunt somewhere near Waco Texas. They shoot white tail but also axis deer which are so much tastier than white tail. They taste like elk to me. The white tail I have tasted in Tx all have a gaminess which is not bad but I prefer axis or elk. They give me meat from their hunts frequently as they score both WTs and axis and cannot consume it all.

I am doing deer chili today with ground WT.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I got a job surveying homes for insurance companies about a yr ago. One of the homes I did was out in the country and the owner was there. The home was listed as seasonal as his main home was in the city. He owns several homes and rents most of them so he knows the market fairly well. He was telling me that homes in the country are becoming the premium buys as people realize that the way things are going with the price and availability of food people are buying homes where they can grow there own food and have livestock for meat.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I've been getting Grass Fed Sirloin at Coscto. 11.99/lb cooked. Its just a phase I am going through, but man its good and the price isn't terrible.

a-bomb83

a-bomb83

Jan 9, 2024
If you can’t go in on a cow, try your local Hispanic grocery, sometimes known as supermercado. Those prices are pretty damn good.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic