Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Where did you start your fitness journey at and why?

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
I first walked into a gym in 1987 and set eyes upon a giant of a man. Although my own training has never been about getting massive I very much appreciate the dedication of the big guys. I can trace my interest in lifting back to that day. In those days in Australia most gyms were just being established and most of them were added onto or converted across from squash courts. Although I was always into sports growing up my biggest influence was a phys ed teacher at high school that was very much into lifting. By my late teens I was set back by illness and very difficult personal circumstances. It wasn't until 2002 that I got back into exercise when I walked into a boxing gym. I competed in the amateurs here in Australia. Since 2007 its been all about the lifting and in recent times Olympic Weightlifting. I don't pretend to have achieved anything significant myself. Genetics have let me down so thanks for that mum and dad. I don't really have enough of a desire to win either. I just like having a go and doing my best for myself. I have been training people since 2006 and this is probably the only thing I am gifted for. I really enjoy getting the most out of a struggling athlete. To be honest I don't have much interest in those with the best genes. I prefer to work with those that aren't ever going to be champions and they know it. If they have the right mindset I will happily give up my time to help them. Since 2008 I have also been working as a sports masseuse. I have been lucky enough to travel overseas a bit as well. A few here will know I moderate on another forum and have been doing so for two years. I was the first person in history to establish such an Australian sub forum. All my boys are there : )I am now completing a bachelor of human movement.

To summarise the Original Posters questions.
Where did I start my fitness journey? Answer: Sydney, Australia
Why? Answer: I was always drawn to exercise. It keeps my head in the right place.
Influences: A whole myriad of other people. I try hard to learn from everyone.

S

Sparky853

Jan 29, 2014
I used to do some lifting when I was in HS, but was never very serious about it. Then I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes 3 years ago at the for old age of 34. Well, after 3 years of my doctor telling me to get more exercise (and ashamed to say, doing nothing) it got to the point where I was on two meds for Type II and one for cholesterol, and was told I had to start taking injections to keep by BG under control. That was about 6 months ago. I joined a gym the next day with my best friend, and I'm down about 25 pounds, plus I've seen a 20%+ drop in my BG numbers. I look and feel better than I have in years, wish I had done it years ago.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
Started weightlifting in my basement soon after I turned 12 after seeing Pumping Iron on HBO. I also, like a few of my fellow lifters was also motivated by bullying, needless to say, after spending my whole summer in the basement ( friends were always calling and pounding on my door, I would always decline, dedication before I even was familiar with the word) but Arnold told me to lift, and lift I did,I emerged for a new school year a fully confident and muscular young man, and very, very un-bullied.

D

dradnitzer

Apr 22, 2014
Where do you start your fitness journey at? What or who influence you to get jacked, shredded, fast, strong, sexier, etc? How did you fall in love with your fitness sport? Let's hear a little history about where you guys/gals have been and came from in your life with fitness.

I played soccer for 15 years, was that loser kid cause I didn't hangout with anyone, all I did was train to get better. When I finally realized I wasn't going to go pro, my flame went out and I lost love of the game. My best friend always told me to try weight lifting. Best decision ever made, because unlike most sports, where one can succeed with natural born talent instead of someone who works his ass off everyday, bodybuilding if you work hard, you'll get strong results.

Been doing it for about a year and half now, and I've changed a ton! Love it

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
So many awesome stories here.

brutus79

brutus79

Dec 27, 2013
I started when I was locked up... as soon as I got out I went right back to my old destructive behaviors. Seven more years of drug fueled alcoholism and I had a daughter- my princess. I realized after a few months of trying to use and be a good dad that I was going to **** up my kid worse than my parents ****ed up with me. I didn't even think that was possible- so july 2012 I walked into a 12 step meeting and I haven't touched a drink or a narcotic since.

I walked into the gym two months after and haven't looked back . I funneled all my addictive behavior into the weights, the culture, clinical trials, training journals, forums- I love all of it. Besides being a father this lifestyle gives my existence meaning and gives me feelings of self worth and accomplishment.

It also is nice that nobody even looks at my daughter or girlfreind when their 275 lb beast man is with them.

G

Geisha

May 4, 2014
I really like this thread!
I was never an athlete in school, I always wanted to tho, but mom was too broke or just didn't have the time to get me started. But right after HS I enlisted in the AF and have been pursuing my athletic goals and life dreams ever since. I've competed in everything from PLing to MT boxing. I consider my self a competitive person, but moreso I hate losing more than I enjoy winning. Lol.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic