Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

What supplements work?

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
Hard to know what to believe on protein intake and its effect on the liver and kidneys. When I first started having liver and kidney numbers which were admittedly pretty high, I was using a meal service which mostly focused on protein with very few veggies.....and there was WAY too much salt in there to boot. I was also using protein powder, but not excessively. As soon as the blood test came back, before my re-eval appt, the doc messaged me and told me in capital letters to stop using protein powder and cut back on other protein as well. I did, and a retest two weeks later showed the numbers were significantly reduced. I don't know what to believe. I don't use protein powder anymore and switched to a meal service with meals designed by a dietician which is much healthier with a better macro balance and not so much salt. I don't eat out much and mostly rely on the meals. My liver and kidney numbers are all good now. Just throwing it out there from personal experience, could be different people react differently, perhaps the numbers were caused by something else, but the most significant thing for me is the numbers came right down after the diet change (and drinking way more water).

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Same as Littleguy above. I have used a shit-ton, and for many of the last several years, i've only used the bare minimum or what I need at the time to stay healthy.

Right now....

What I usually take every day:
Multi-Vit
D3 - 5,000iu
1.8-3.6g combined EPA/DHA from fish oils
5-10mg per night Melatonin
Some Magnesium Glycinate at night if I have it.
Whey protein <---although I consider it as food.
K2

Also right now while cutting:
Ephedrine & caffeine.

If I had more to spend, i'd add the following ED for health:
15-30g per day collagen
5g/d of creatine monohydrate
6-10,000 F.U. Nattokinase

I'm gonna add in Yohimbine at some point again.

IMO, creatine is the only thing worth a crap for adding size outside of diet and training and drugs.

Other stuff for health i'd use if needed:
Possibly higher K2/K1 etc.
Maybe berberine or ALA if my BG was out of range.
Maybe a supp (or drug) or two for cholesterol support if on orals.
Maybe some liver stuff (ALA, NAC, etc) if on orals.
BP meds if elevated.
Astragalus for kidneys if I am pushing AAS or if any kidney issues.

There are probably a few more. If I am not pushing AAS, and if I am active and training and doing cardio, my list is pretty small. If I am pushing stuff, which is hardly never these days, or if I am being more sedentary, I will increase as needed, and to make up for my laziness and lack of living healthy, lol.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Hard to know what to believe on protein intake and its effect on the liver and kidneys. When I first started having liver and kidney numbers which were admittedly pretty high, I was using a meal service which mostly focused on protein with very few veggies.....and there was WAY too much salt in there to boot. I was also using protein powder, but not excessively. As soon as the blood test came back, before my re-eval appt, the doc messaged me and told me in capital letters to stop using protein powder and cut back on other protein as well. I did, and a retest two weeks later showed the numbers were significantly reduced. I don't know what to believe. I don't use protein powder anymore and switched to a meal service with meals designed by a dietician which is much healthier with a better macro balance and not so much salt. I don't eat out much and mostly rely on the meals. My liver and kidney numbers are all good now. Just throwing it out there from personal experience, could be different people react differently, perhaps the numbers were caused by something else, but the most significant thing for me is the numbers came right down after the diet change (and drinking way more water).

"The numbers."

That is pretty vague dude. If the doctor is talking about BUN, then he is very misinformed.

What numbers was he referring to?

Also..."but the most significant thing for me is the numbers came right down after the diet change (and drinking way more water)."

Dehydration can elevate numerous values.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Must haves for me are D3 cod liver fish oil zinc mg melatonin astragalus k2 liv 52 and natto. If under stress will add in bcomplex shot and add some C. I dropped a ton of other stuff and went to 3 times a week for my staples.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
What numbers was he referring to?
I will go back and look for the message and post the tests he was referring to. At the time I was drinking around 48-64 oz of liquids/day. It's now between 64-80 oz per day (rough estimate, but at least 64 for sure....some days significantly more than 80). I have a hard time drinking more than that.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
What fish oil (brand, strength, etc.) you all using? Anyone using Kirklands? Tired of paying fish oil tax. Was using Carlson Elite Omega for years, then they jacked the price up over $10 a bottle... I mean it is now priced over $10 higher than it was.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
What fish oil (brand, strength, etc.) you all using? Anyone using Kirklands? Tired of paying fish oil tax. Was using Carlson Elite Omega for years, then they jacked the price up over $10 a bottle... I mean it is now priced over $10 higher than it was.
I dumped Carlsons for these and love them. I do use their COD liver oil too as it's cheaper than their omega 3.

Screenshot_20230909_192649_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20230909_192800_Amazon Shopping.jpg

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011

I almost always use Kirkland. I take half in the morning and the other half at night with my last meal. I always take them, then eat afterward.

I've used NOW's liquid fish oil as well, and I liked it. Sometimes you can get it cheap on Amazon, but I think they increased the price. I bought that because even my kids would take it (Lemon flavored). It's way cheaper than Carlson's and the other popular liquid fish oil (Forgot the name).

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I almost always use Kirkland. I take half in the morning and the other half at night with my last meal. I always take them, then eat afterward.

I've used NOW's liquid fish oil as well, and I liked it. Sometimes you can get it cheap on Amazon, but I think they increased the price. I bought that because even my kids would take it (Lemon flavored). It's way cheaper than Carlson's and the other popular liquid fish oil (Forgot the name).
Bulk supplements.com has a few fish oils at very good prices IMO, I did take them and then Krill oil after that, I noticed nothing from them in over a year however something good may have been happening on the inside that I don't know of.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I dumped Carlsons for these and love them. I do use their COD liver oil too as it's cheaper than their omega 3.

View attachment 14505

View attachment 14506

I didn't notice anything after stopping fish oil
myself a few months ago, not even lab-wise. But Mr. British Medical Journal has to have a reason. Massive Gonads has to have a reason. But I do wonder why the cod liver in addition to the fish oil?

I replied to the wrong message, but fuck it. I am too drunk to muster the capability to correct myself.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I didn't notice anything after stopping fish oil
myself a few months ago, not even lab-wise. But Mr. British Medical Journal has to have a reason. Massive Gonads has to have a reason. But I do wonder why the cod liver in addition to the fish oil?

I replied to the wrong message, but fuck it. I am too drunk to muster the capability to correct myself.
I do the cod liver oil for the natural vitamin a and d3 and some additional omega 3s. I was on prescribed fish oil for years cause it was free. I didn't think it really did much until they stopped covering it and every joint in my body felt like stone. I think it helps with skin hair eyes brain function etc lots of little things that you don't really feel but the dam joint shit.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I do the cod liver oil for the natural vitamin a and d3 and some additional omega 3s. I was on prescribed fish oil for years cause it was free. I didn't think it really did much until they stopped covering it and every joint in my body felt like stone. I think it helps with skin hair eyes brain function etc lots of little things that you don't really feel but the dam joint shit.

I've actually been wondering lately why I am hurting all over, in spite of diet being in check, which usually keeps inflammation low for me. I dropped the fish oil back when I dropped everything and never restarted it. Going to see what happens.

This is what I was using as a replacement for the Carlson:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Omega-3-Astaxanthin-Softgels/dp/B00JPD5ZJ4

Also was using Super K and CoQ10 but going to add things back one at a time now.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic