Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

What adjustments does my new strength training routine need?

T

Tom9999

Apr 12, 2024
Hey all, I've started seriously working out recently (New Years Resolution) and for the first time I'm sticking to it with no quitting in sight. My goals are both endurance running (want to beat my half marathon PR of 2 hours) and equal parts strength and hypertrophy. Overall goal is balanced fitness.

I’m confident what I’m doing is 1,000x better than my previous laziness of the past few years, but also that I’m probably far from optimal. As I’m just starting out, this is the time to make a good habit and so I’m really craving some serious feedback and optimization.

Here is what I've been doing each week:

Day 1: Run

Day 2: Weights
- 2 sets x 10 reps Squat with Biceps Curl
- 2 sets x 10 reps Chest Press
- 2 sets x 10 reps Biceps Curl
- 2 sets x 10 reps Incline Chest Press
- 2 sets x 10 reps Biceps Curl with Supination
- 2 sets x 10 reps Incline Chest Flys
- 60 second plank
- 3 sets x 10 reps single leg calf raises on steps (bodyweight)

Day 3: Run

Day 4: Weights
- 2 sets x 10 reps Lunges
- 2 sets x 10 reps Shoulder Press
- 2 sets x 10 reps Squat
- 2 sets x 10 reps Rear Delt Fly
- 2 sets x 10 reps Deadlift
- 2 sets x 10 reps Front Lateral Shoulder Raises
- 60 second plank

Day 5: Run

Day 6: Weights
- 2 sets x 10 reps Sumo Back Row
- 2 sets x 10 reps Triceps Overhead Extension
- 2 sets x 10 reps One Arm Bent Over Back Row
- 2 sets x 10 reps Bench Triceps Extension
- 2 sets x 10 reps Squat Shoulder Thrusters
- 60 second plank

Day 7: Rest/Yoga

The runs I'm doing a Tommy Rivs ifit program and building up, mostly zone 2, and not looking for as much feedback there.

However the strength and weights is the part I'm less sure on. I bought the Bowflex adjustable SelectTech dumbbells and a weight bench, and put this routine together using the Bowflex app. The weight I’m lifting for each set is a moderate challenge, but realizing now that I’m likely not pushing myself enough.

I just binge listened to the first two episodes of Huberman Lab with Andy Galpin guest series which was packed with tons of good info, however I'm having a hard time summarizing it all into actions for me. It all made sense at the time, but it was way too much for me to absorb which parts were the most critical. I'm thinking I need to do the following:

1 - switch to 3 sets of 5 reps on each
2 - increase weight to be much more than I'm doing. Get pretty close to the max I can do on each exercise at 3 sets of 5
3 – Unclear to me if I should mix up the days more. I kind of chunked some muscle groups together as you can see above, but I didn’t really understand what I should be doing here after listening to this.
4 – I think I may need to rebalance some of these. I think I’m too upper body focused and probably missing some key groups, but I’m not sure exactly how to analyze this.

Would love any feedback, criticism, and help so I can make the most optimal adjustments possible. Am I missing key compound lifts I should be doing? Am I right to drop to 3 sets of 5 reps on each? Am I over/under working a muscle group?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic