jacobss
What's New?

Video Floodlights

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
My Ring floodlight lights crapped out and didn't realize you can't change the bulbs, you need to buy a whole new unit.
Any recommendations on a replacement? Would prefer not to spend $300 every fee years cause you can't change the stupid LCD's that should last for 10 year +.
Read mixed reviews on the blink which is much cheaper.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I have had the Blink exterior cameras for 4-5 years. They are pretty damn good. Only had to change the batteries in each unit once so far. The only complaint, they can be a little sensitive. They will pick up wasps and big bugs flying around, which can get annoying the summer. I haven't tried their lights. I just bought the solar motion controlled lights from Amazon and put them around the house and fence: https://www.amazon.com/Aootek-light...708477123&sprefix=motion,aps,191&sr=8-27&th=1
I have had them a few years and the batteries are still going strong.

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
Unfortunately, consumer grade electronics come with drawbacks such as this. Is a separate light & camera an option you would consider? This might open up some flexibility of equipment selection

I have a ring door bell cam and it‘s meh. Convenient and a nice add on to my Hikvision ip cameras. For improved security, you’re really better off with pro cameras. There’s no comparison to the quality of video capture and the logic for motion events.…face detection, vehicle detection, missing objects, forbidden times for motion activity, line crossing, etc. Little to no false alarms.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Blink is long lasting in my experience, I have seven all installed pre-covid everything is still working as it is designed.
However the alerts come across a little slow sometimes and the chime for the cameras, (separate from doorbell) is non adjustable for Iphones and is a pleasant tone rather than an ALERT type sound which I dislike as I want it to get your blood moving instead of a hey wake up sleepy head sound.
Zones and sensitivity adjustment per camera is excellent and video quality day or night is top notch.
Cable/ power is out and you are PHUCKED unless you have a gen but if cable is out you still get nothing,
Overall Blink is good but not great. IMO.
I still have am and use em.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Unfortunately, consumer grade electronics come with drawbacks such as this. Is a separate light & camera an option you would consider? This might open up some flexibility of equipment selection

I have a ring door bell cam and it‘s meh. Convenient and a nice add on to my Hikvision ip cameras. For improved security, you’re really better off with pro cameras. There’s no comparison to the quality of video capture and the logic for motion events.…face detection, vehicle detection, missing objects, forbidden times for motion activity, line crossing, etc. Little to no false alarms.

Agree.
I have LTS cameras, pretty much just US branded Hikvision and a Ring camera.

Heady Muscle

Heady Muscle

VIP Member
Oct 13, 2014
I have had the Blink exterior cameras for 4-5 years. They are pretty damn good. Only had to change the batteries in each unit once so far. The only complaint, they can be a little sensitive. They will pick up wasps and big bugs flying around, which can get annoying the summer. I haven't tried their lights. I just bought the solar motion controlled lights from Amazon and put them around the house and fence: https://www.amazon.com/Aootek-lights-reflector-Waterproof-Security/dp/B07NQ4L1SB/ref=sr_1_27?crid=27X7ZGISD7B2V&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.t8vXM9en1MgINd_ssiZE_PScvrEuuYWxQS7f8PlEyoPWkoM1Smg9ywJgyLp1lg1RPrc2dfcnW3WvvGdIX_w-iGZolm9GcQ3CxIA-0bh1RCrLnxEC1SDjl9BWyYcgOc3B0vEIaG2NCGGZuwosiKl9i-lemo4ItJyMe1TlnaqD_jesp7XnPFTmWL3lk_kGtgpXcFL6h6WOMbxM4f1ivAnww3rFoTnBXmIcAT1eFw5PqHCNdt6OToB_M38MmaVqw1yHcuMQAUmXvA4lT1kt53tUkLHRQwDUSMyHWzWbPB5sCqA.04Tv86cdyY9yusmheHwmOl9m01JxEeCRgqYObYqFHCU&dib_tag=se&keywords=motion+sensor+outdoor+lights&qid=1708477123&sprefix=motion,aps,191&sr=8-27&th=1
I have had them a few years and the batteries are still going stron
I have had the Blink exterior cameras for 4-5 years. They are pretty damn good. Only had to change the batteries in each unit once so far. The only complaint, they can be a little sensitive. They will pick up wasps and big bugs flying around, which can get annoying the summer. I haven't tried their lights. I just bought the solar motion controlled lights from Amazon and put them around the house and fence: https://www.amazon.com/Aootek-lights-reflector-Waterproof-Security/dp/B07NQ4L1SB/ref=sr_1_27?crid=27X7ZGISD7B2V&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.t8vXM9en1MgINd_ssiZE_PScvrEuuYWxQS7f8PlEyoPWkoM1Smg9ywJgyLp1lg1RPrc2dfcnW3WvvGdIX_w-iGZolm9GcQ3CxIA-0bh1RCrLnxEC1SDjl9BWyYcgOc3B0vEIaG2NCGGZuwosiKl9i-lemo4ItJyMe1TlnaqD_jesp7XnPFTmWL3lk_kGtgpXcFL6h6WOMbxM4f1ivAnww3rFoTnBXmIcAT1eFw5PqHCNdt6OToB_M38MmaVqw1yHcuMQAUmXvA4lT1kt53tUkLHRQwDUSMyHWzWbPB5sCqA.04Tv86cdyY9yusmheHwmOl9m01JxEeCRgqYObYqFHCU&dib_tag=se&keywords=motion+sensor+outdoor+lights&qid=1708477123&sprefix=motion,aps,191&sr=8-27&th=1
I have had them a few years and the batteries are still going strong.
I was just looking on Amazon for these types of lights. Thank you

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
My Ring floodlight lights crapped out and didn't realize you can't change the bulbs, you need to buy a whole new unit.
Any recommendations on a replacement? Would prefer not to spend $300 every fee years cause you can't change the stupid LCD's that should last for 10 year +.
Read mixed reviews on the blink which is much cheaper.
I would put a motion light there then wire in the Ring outdoor camera next to it. The outdoor camera’s work great. Additionally, I didn’t know those damn lights don’t allow bulb replacements.

I’ve used the blink cameras before, but the video quality at night sucks, plus the monthly fee and app suck too.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I bought 6 of these a few months ago, 4 of them are still working
I have had mine for a while. All 8 are still working, but they are Chinese quality, so you never really know what you are going to get.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic