Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Blackenalma
What's New?

Trying to help out a buddy, but GOTDAMB!

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
His problem is classic addict behavior. I actually spoke with a former addict about it, who is also a friend I used to train.

The behaviors:

1) it's nearly impossible to convince him that there is a problem with his behaviors. (In this case eating mass quantities and drinking like a college student)

2) he gives himself MASSIVE pats on the back for extremely extremely minor acheivements.

"I haven't had a drink for three days!!" Yeah neither has anyone buddy, it's Thursday.

There's not much I can do when someone genuinely thinks their half-assed workout is beast mode. And he won't listen to any opinions otherwise.

I don't think you're going to be able to fix this guy, when he doesn't take responsibility for his problems, or even recognize he has them in the first place. If I were you I'd be trying to convince him to hire a coach to challenge him and teach him things you "aren't qualified to" and get him out of your way so you can focus on your training.

Reactions: HGH
Jaydub

Jaydub

Aug 9, 2016
When I'm at the gym with buddies like that I let em go balls out. When they try to go to big I tell em in mid rep "I ain't gonna lift it for ya.." let them sweat a count or 2, then rack the weight for them. Not there to do their work too. Do that a few times they get cautions of going too far.

He'll burn up.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
I don't think you're going to be able to fix this guy, when he doesn't take responsibility for his problems, or even recognize he has them in the first place. If I were you I'd be trying to convince him to hire a coach to challenge him and teach him things you "aren't qualified to" and get him out of your way so you can focus on your training.

yeah and also this happened today:

he is a carpenter and builds a lot of furniture and cabinetry that i design. remember that he has claimed that he's going to stop drinking to lose weight.

he finished a beautiful piece i designed and i went to his shop to help him deliver it to my client. i go in there and i noticed that there is a big outdoor-sized trash can next to his work bench. i had to move it out of my way and saw that it was light as a feather because it was FULL of only beer cans. A couple water bottles, but a SHITLOAD of beer cans. Next to it were a few cases also packed with empties.

:-(

i hate to say it but my policy for people with addiction issues is to run. far far away from them. they'll only drag you down with them.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
From a physics stand point, it's quite simple. Work = force x distance. Moving 225lbs 2ft is more work than 275lbs for 1ft.

If it's studies you're looking for, there are many.

Article/blog discussing study results:

http://www.personaltraineroxford.co...-better-when-it-comes-to-muscle-size-and-str/

The studies:

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/C...f_Range_of_Motion_During_Ecologically.32.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22027847

In one study, however, it showed that, when squating, full ROM (Ass to grass) did NOT increase muscle size over partial (Parallel or just above). It was suggested that a full ROM helps to increase proper functional form though. In other words, the benefits of full range squatting goes beyond just muscle increases.

Good info!!!...Thank you for posting!!!... I'll comment once I have a chance to look over all of them....

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I definitely feel your pain, but I totally disagree with the majority on this....... I've seen dozens of guys come in blazing and wash out. Most of us started just like this guy and probably didn't realize it.
For whatever reason lifting weights is something that EVERYONE is an expert in. You can't tell anyone anything because everyone knows what works the best, they just don't have the (drugs, time,genetics, beard, etc..) of the pros.

We've had good, top 10 powerlifters move out here to train with us only to insist on doing their own programming and then stagnate or get hurt because they won't humble themselves enough to listen. And that's the good lifters! The amateurs are even worse most of the time!

The age of the internet means that everyone has a friend who is way stronger/ bigger/ more cut but nobody has ever heard of and THEY say (whatever stupid opinion the person has that literally no competitive person will take seriously).... and that adds to it too.

The only way guys like that ( and that's most guys weather we'll admit it or not) will ever listen is if they hit a wall, get frustrated, and then come looking for advice. The best thing you can do is encourage them without blowing smoke up their ass and wait for them to want to improve. Some will and some will wash out.

Louie Simmons said it best..... a buddy of mine moved to Columbus to train at westside full time instead of just the monthly trips a lot of us make. His first week he blows out his IT band and is laying on the floor of the gym in pain..... Louie walks by and just goes "Well, it's not for everybody" and walks off...... and that's how it is.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Addiction is a whole nother topic... but it's not always best to run. They first have to admit they have a problem and have to be willing to get help. This doesn't happen till they hit rock bottom. Rock bottom is different for everyone but what doesn't change is that until that person hits it, they won't want to change.

Training may be a way to help keep this friend of yours clean and for that I say don't give up on him. I know many TOP level guys and girls that use sports as a way of staying clean. .

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
Addiction is a whole nother topic... but it's not always best to run. They first have to admit they have a problem and have to be willing to get help. This doesn't happen till they hit rock bottom. Rock bottom is different for everyone but what doesn't change is that until that person hits it, they won't want to change.

Training may be a way to help keep this friend of yours clean and for that I say don't give up on him. I know many TOP level guys and girls that use sports as a way of staying clean. .

Sorry man but I've been around a lot of people with addiction issues. I've never been around anyone who ever stayed clean except one. An addiction will always place their drug/booze/cigarette/whatever above everything else in importance. Include you. Even if they're your mother/brother/etc.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Sorry man but I've been around a lot of people with addiction issues. I've never been around anyone who ever stayed clean except one. An addiction will always place their drug/booze/cigarette/whatever above everything else in importance. Include you. Even if they're your mother/brother/etc.

We're all entitled to our opinion. I work with addicts and have experienced the opposite and this includes IV users.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
For some to recover, it can take years, perhaps hitting rock bottom more than once. My brother is a recovered meth user and my sister is a recovered heroin user. My sister seems to battle with alcoholism on and off though, but I think she's also been sober for a year. My brother has been clean for 6 years and is doing extremely well. I am so proud of him and happy for him and his family. Hoping my sister can hang on. :/

The problem is, my sister had too many enablers in her life, my step mother being one of them. My brother, on the other hand, got a LOT of tough love. I think this was key to his recovery and path moving back in to a functional and happy life. He did land in jail, then a rehab, but that was it. He was done with it. My sister was in and out of rehab constantly. Her druggie BF actually got her out once too. My dad forced my step mother to stay out of it after that. I think that was the only reason she recovered after that.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
From a physics stand point, it's quite simple. Work = force x distance. Moving 225lbs 2ft is more work than 275lbs for 1ft.

If it's studies you're looking for, there are many.

Article/blog discussing study results:

http://www.personaltraineroxford.co...-better-when-it-comes-to-muscle-size-and-str/

The studies:

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/C...f_Range_of_Motion_During_Ecologically.32.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22027847

In one study, however, it showed that, when squating, full ROM (Ass to grass) did NOT increase muscle size over partial (Parallel or just above). It was suggested that a full ROM helps to increase proper functional form though. In other words, the benefits of full range squatting goes beyond just muscle increases.

Thanks!!!... I know we have 3 types of fiber to attack....slow, medium and fast twitch.... I'm assuming by doing full motion on reps we would ensure recruitment of all three along with certain types of speed/weight ratios that one would apply?... I know quite awhile back with my research, if I'm not mistaken, we need to go heavy in order to recruit the deep muscle tissues so that you get a fuller development of the muscle belly?....

B

body_by_donuts

Jul 5, 2011
fuc that... you go hard and he'll learn quick. Ocne he is faced with reality he will be more open minded.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
He quit today.

Said he works better longer hours on days he doesn't lift. This could be because AT NO POINT did he change his life outside the gym. He didn't even go to bed any earlier so he was lifting at 6am on little sleep. Plus not changing diet. Plus drinking 5-7 nights per week.

So there you have it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic