Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Training enviornment in commercial gyms

S

sajesak

Jun 14, 2023
I can't stand training in this kind of gym any longer. Any grunting and I get so many eyes in my direction. I want to yell, scream, rip the weight to fucking pieces. I don't want to cycle, I don't want to sit on a machine texting, I don't want to do 20 rep preacher curls, I just want to fucking lift weights like an animal. Is this too much to ask? Maybe I'm a madman, but since when did lifting heavy ass weights involve sitting down on a stupid ass chair and staring at our biceps.

Why is everyone afraid to train hard and train loud and encourage each other? Instead of looking at me funny when I decide to yell to get that weight up, why don't you stand next to me yelling at me to kill that fucking weight instead of sitting on your phone walking from the preacher curl to the hammer strength machine like a fucking penguin?

Wish people would wake the fuck up and learn that results come from hard work, smart programming, AND INTENSITY! Not doing tricep pushdowns while staring in the mirror.

Edit:
Well, I guess I got to see what goes on in the minds of those who choose to submit to the gym clique and remain quiet while performing movements people have been grunting through since people walked on two legs while suppressing natural human instincts. I may not agree with it, but I accept it. Maybe I am a douche, but I have no intention of hurting anyone. My only intention is to push myself to lift more weight, and there really is a mentality you need to lift to your full potential. Maybe this isn't the case with a 1rm, but I know it is the case when grinding that last rep out in a set of 5 8 or even 20. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you make noise while squatting 185, as long as you're doing it correctly and pushing yourself I will encourage you to do what you can to complete your set.

S

sajesak

Jun 14, 2023
I can't stand training in this kind of gym any longer. Any grunting and I get so many eyes in my direction. I want to yell, scream, rip the weight to fucking pieces. I don't want to cycle, I don't want to sit on a machine texting, I don't want to do 20 rep preacher curls, I just want to fucking lift weights like an animal. Is this too much to ask? Maybe I'm a madman, but since when did lifting heavy ass weights involve sitting down on a stupid ass chair and staring at our biceps.

Why is everyone afraid to train hard and train loud and encourage each other? Instead of looking at me funny when I decide to yell to get that weight up, why don't you stand next to me yelling at me to kill that fucking weight instead of sitting on your phone walking from the preacher curl to the hammer strength machine like a fucking penguin?

Wish people would wake the fuck up and learn that results come from hard work, smart programming, AND INTENSITY! Not doing tricep pushdowns while staring in the mirror.

Edit:
Well, I guess I got to see what goes on in the minds of those who choose to submit to the gym clique and remain quiet while performing movements people have been grunting through since people walked on two legs while suppressing natural human instincts. I may not agree with it, but I accept it. Maybe I am a douche, but I have no intention of hurting anyone has any idea on
. My only intention is to push myself to lift more weight, and there really is a mentality you need to lift to your full potential. Maybe this isn't the case with a 1rm, but I know it is the case when grinding that last rep out in a set of 5 8 or even 20. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you make noise while squatting 185, as long as you're doing it correctly and pushing yourself I will encourage you to do what you can to complete your set.
thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole

Jul 31, 2023
I can see both sides.
Yelling / loud grunting during a lift does raise the heart rate, oxygenate the blood, create more adrenaline and cause the muscles in the core to contract which makes for a better lift and better lifts are what every weightlifter wants.

On the other hand, setting aside the mirror models, machine sitters w/cell phones and video taking tiktok folks, it does take some concentration when one is honestly trying to train so someone or a couple of someones yelling to make their goals can distract others trying to reach theirs.

As for myself, if there are any noisy distractions at the gym, whilst i do not listen to motivational music whilst working out and shooting for hypertrophy, I do have noise canceling headphones in my bag if I need them.

Note: I think the worse case of noise makers are the guys who do sets of deadlifts and then on the last lift they drop their weights instead of completing the eccentric move.
But again, I have noise canceling headgear so carry on Harry…..

Last edited:
rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
Just out of curiosity what are your stats?
I’d could be they think you’re intimidating….
Or it could be they think your silly.

some grunting never bothers me if a guy really is digging in and working. Now if he is just putting on a show that’s different.

Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole

Jul 31, 2023
Just out of curiosity what are your stats?
I’d could be they think you’re intimidating….
Or it could be they think your silly.

some grunting never bothers me if a guy really is digging in and working. Now if he is just putting on a show that’s different.
LOL….
Saw a new guy and a gal come into the gym a couple of weeks ago and everything the guy picked up warranted a yell from him. He’d pick up a couple of #20’s from the dumbbell rack and yell and pick up a stripped bar and yell and so forth.
Long story short……..he was obviously trying to impress the girl but she got wise and left him at the gym.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Rule of thumb. If you grunt, and everyone in the gym stops what they are doing to look at you, like you are some kind of idiot, then you are doing it wrong.

But if you’re the undisputed king of that gym, and everyone in the gym stops what they are doing when you lift anyway to gawk in amazement, you’ve probably earned the right to a grunt and a “Yeah Buddy! Light weight baby!!”

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Not going to lie, if you are making excessive noise in the gym, I usually judge you. Mainly, because mostly those I find in this category are lifting weights that I find, for a lack of better words, pedestrian. I know heavy is relative, but if I were them, I wouldn't want to bring a bunch of attention to the fact I am incline pressing 185 for 8 when the guy before me did 405 for the same number of reps. Haha.

S

sajesak

Jun 14, 2023
I can see both sides.
Yelling / loud grunting during a lift does raise the heart rate, oxygenate the blood, create more adrenaline and cause the muscles in the core to contract which makes for a better lift and better lifts are what every weightlifter wants.

On the other hand, setting aside the mirror models, machine sitters w/cell phones and video taking tiktok folks, it does take some concentration when one is honestly trying to train so someone or a couple of someones yelling to make their goals can distract others trying to reach theirs.

As for myself, if there are any noisy distractions at the gym, whilst i do not listen to motivational music whilst working out and shooting for hypertrophy, I do have noise canceling headphones in my bag if I need them.

Note: I think the worse case of noise makers are the guys who do sets of deadlifts and then on the last lift they drop their weights instead of completing the eccentric move.
But again, I have noise canceling headgear so carry on Harry…..
thank you so much for your suggestion. really appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
1694393088464.jpeg

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic