jacobss
What's New?

Training at high altitudes

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Well I went to Denver for work, mile high city right. Im a few weeks away from a bodybuilding contest. I got 4 workouts in. The first 2 were ok, but the last 2 kicked my ass. Cardio was hard. everything was hard it seemed lol. I mean the first 2 were tough, but got through them. But those last couple kicked my ass.
Im now back home and cardio is a breeze lol.

How do they do it? man. Well, suppose they get used to it.

ogre

ogre

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2016
Well I went to Denver for work, mile high city right. Im a few weeks away from a bodybuilding contest. I got 4 workouts in. The first 2 were ok, but the last 2 kicked my ass. Cardio was hard. everything was hard it seemed lol. I mean the first 2 were tough, but got through them. But those last couple kicked my ass.

I remeber the first time I went out there I was at garden of the Gods walking around the trails and crawling on the the rocks all of a sudden I could not get my breath I started freaking out.Yeah my body dont like high altitude.My guess is the Bronko's have an advantage over the away teams.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
After about a month you get used to it. We would always schedule our physical fitness test the week after we came back from a month of mountain warfare training. The struggle up there made for vast improvements once we returned to sea level. Most of us were knocking 2-3 minutes off our 3 mile run times.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Help me clarify something, so you train it higher altitudes your body's going to produce more red blood cells to meet the need for 02. So what about gear induced polysythema which fucks with hemocrit and hemoglobin. Some gear it's better than others at increasing RBCs. Why don't we see a huge difference compared to coming back from altitude?

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Help me clarify something, so you train it higher altitudes your body's going to produce more red blood cells to meet the need for 02. So what about gear induced polysythema which fucks with hemocrit and hemoglobin. Some gear it's better than others at increasing RBCs. Why don't we see a huge difference compared to coming back from altitude?
For endurance athletes you do. When I was still doing the combat conditioning/crossfit stuff and my RBC/HCT would climb my muscle endurance was off the charts. It wouldn't be anything for me to run sub 5 minute miles at 5'9" 200 lbs.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
For endurance athletes you do. When I was still doing the combat conditioning/crossfit stuff and my RBC/HCT would climb my muscle endurance was off the charts. It wouldn't be anything for me to run sub 5 minute miles at 5'9" 200 lbs.
I guess I just told on myself and how much I hate cardio. Hard biking and swimming no problem, jogging or running,I'm dying.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I guess I just told on myself and how much I hate cardio. Hard biking and swimming no problem, jogging or running,I'm dying.
Well it would be a logical conclusion to connect when she wants it really hard and fast on how long I'm going to be able to keep up cardio wise. Lol

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
It gets to me too everytime I go skiing. I'll catch myself feeling out of breath just going up the stairs sometimes lol.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010

wow I’m surprised you had trouble around Denver, it’s only 5200 feet above sea level. Usually, you have to go to 8000 feet to really feel it. hydration plays a lot into how you feel. Plus iron level. Haha just warm up slowly and take some breaks.

I remember the first day I was in Colorado I went straight to do a hike and it was around 12,000 feet, I only noticed that it was a little hard, but adapted pretty quickly.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic