Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

The Jungle

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
i dont like deload weeks and only do them when i am out of town for a meeting.

yeah not a huge fan of them. they are helpful when needed but it sucks to actually hit the gym and move light weight ir not go to the gym at all :(

although TBH if i had backed off on the weight a little last week i probably wouldnt have needed one this week

glad to see u start your journal bro. hope it helps u out . lots of good people w/good info here.

thanks yeah i like keeping a journal. it has helped me progress immensely over the last 2 years

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
yes, they are a necessary evil. being that im old now i dont lift that hard anymore so i can usually get by with one every 4-6months.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
yeah not a huge fan of them. they are helpful when needed but it sucks to actually hit the gym and move light weight ir not go to the gym at all :(

although TBH if i had backed off on the weight a little last week i probably wouldnt have needed one this week

thanks yeah i like keeping a journal. it has helped me progress immensely over the last 2 years

And you noticed the difference as time goes on?

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
yes, they are a necessary evil. being that im old now i dont lift that hard anymore so i can usually get by with one every 4-6months.

you dont look old ;)
/e-flirting

And you noticed the difference as time goes on?

yeah last week i noticed my hips were starting to feel a little too tight at the bottom of my squat and that my righ elbow had an odd numbness to it. this week as i was warming up on squats i noticed that around the "quarter" squat position my hips were tight, once i got in the hole they really felt uncomfortable.

the day after the squats i went to do weighted pullups(i am getting ready for another of EPC's weighted pullup comps) my elbow just had a shooting pain that went all the down to my wrist.

if i pay attention and heed the signals i can usually get away with just taking an extra day or 2 of rest during the week. if i choose to be hardheaded and keep going(this is my norm) then i end up having to take about 5-6 days off

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
lol well decided tonight to ditch the more BBing based routine and going with a more strength based routine. i love the layout of 5/3/1 so i am going to be trying that for a long while. using Wendler's max calculator for everything and taking 90% of those i have come up with these maxes to start the program:

Squat: 315(true max 350)
Deadlift: 440(low balled this one a little since it has been a while since i DLed)
Press: 185(true max 215)
Bench: 270(once again slightly low balled)

i will probably use his "boring but big" method but i am not sure yet exactly how i am going to work the assistace exercises.

the only problem i should run into is when i get home at the end of September me and the wife are expecting our second child around mid-October. i figure i will be 2-3 weeks possibly out of the gym while taking leave and helping her recuperate. then at the end of November i will be getting out of the Navy and hopefully starting a new job lol so that might interfere with training for a bit. but that is in the future so i will worry about it when it gets here :D

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
congrats on the baby! so glad im done with that part of my life! thats great that you get to take a couple weeks off to stay home and help.

5,3,1 is an awesome program, i bet you are going to love it!

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
congrats on the baby! so glad im done with that part of my life! thats great that you get to take a couple weeks off to stay home and help.

5,3,1 is an awesome program, i bet you are going to love it!

thanks. my daughter was born a month before my last deployment so i actually get to do the whole stay up all night thing with this one. but its okay i got a son on the way :cool:

yeah i like the layout of the program. looks simple, easy to follow, and flexible as far as the assistance work goes.

last time i tried something strength based it was set up around Ortmeyer's 12 week deadlift program. it helped increase my max alot but i was never able to finish the program(too much traveling between the states and Panama)

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
thanks. my daughter was born a month before my last deployment so i actually get to do the whole stay up all night thing with this one. but its okay i got a son on the way :cool:

yeah i like the layout of the program. looks simple, easy to follow, and flexible as far as the assistance work goes.

last time i tried something strength based it was set up around Ortmeyer's 12 week deadlift program. it helped increase my max alot but i was never able to finish the program(too much traveling between the states and Panama)

Awesome...bet you can't wait to spoil your boy LOL. When is he expected to arrive into the world?

Hopefully once you get back to the USA you can do something that's consistent like 531.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
Awesome...bet you can't wait to spoil your boy LOL. When is he expected to arrive into the world?

Hopefully once you get back to the USA you can do something that's consistent like 531.

around mid October

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
5/3/1 Cycle 1

Day 1- Press- 180 as working max
Press
w/u- 45x12, 95x10
w/s- 115x5, 135x5, 155x6
****was hoping for 8 on the 155 set but standing press has always been a weakness for me.

Dips- BWx15, BWx10, BWx12, BWx9, BWx10

Hammer Grip Pullups- BWx10, BWx10, BWx6, BWx5, BWx6

BB Skullcrushers- 45x15, 65x12, 65x10, 65x11

BB Curls- 45x10, 65x10, 65x8, 45x10

NOTES
for a relatively light session i feel obliterated lol. standing press has never been one of my staple exercises so i was not sure what exactly to expect from this type of setup. dips were awesome as usual but doing shoulder press first really killed the undurance on these. wont be using hammer grip pullups much more i felt these too much in the arms and not enough in the lats. triceps were already feeling the OH press and dips so i kept these light and strict.

the curls will be the only deviation from Wender's program. my biceps have always lagged behind my triceps so i need to keep atleast a little work in on them so my arms dont end up looking completely retarded

Tomorrow i get to deadlift.... hell yeah :D

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Awesome bro, glad to see you dive right into the 5/3/1 - always a good feeling when I can help someone out! Good luck with it bro, you'll see some good strength gains and a little size come on too.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
Awesome bro, glad to see you dive right into the 5/3/1 - always a good feeling when I can help someone out! Good luck with it bro, you'll see some good strength gains and a little size come on too.

thanks for the solid POB!!! i think i will like this program alot. it is flexible enough to add more or take away more volume to the assistance exercises as necessary. size i am eating for again finally. would like to get to a solid looking 210-215 again before i go home. when i left the wife saw me at a semi decent 224. would like to show her something a little more sexy when i get back! lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic