Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Sunroof Broke....$7700 to replace. Looking to replace with some kind of glass.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
I have a 2000 ML 430 with a Lamella Roof from Webasto, made for Mercedes. the majority of the roof folds back. unfortunately,the sunroof will not close and remains open approx. 6inches.

I went to several authorized MB repair shops and no one can get it closed. Not even the local MB dealer. seems MB scrapped this roof because of the problems. to replace the cose is $7700 which is not doable, the vehicle is worth that at best. I bought it from a neighbor for my daughter. Less than 80k miles on it....no probs, no service lights....just this dayum sunroof issue.

so I am looking to see if I can get a glass in its place....but can't find any custom car places in the NJ/NY/CT area these days. bckg in the days, there were few available, but I guess the car custom business is not as big as it once was.

I found something called Glassback sunroofs...but these are only made for Mustangs and Chrysler 300

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...v_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900-s&va=glassback+roof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY5hk0CKtoQ

if anyone has any ideas of knows of a place that can give me some assistance....let me know. I have attached a pic of a similar model.

Attachments

• ml 430 3.jpg
    ml 430 3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,371
Last edited:
rezjzzor084

rezjzzor084

MuscleHead
Dec 17, 2013
you could ask someone who knows what to do with fiberglass

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
you could ask someone who knows what to do with fiberglass

Thanks.....will google this now....

Back in the day.....fellaz were getting wide body kits.....Koenig and other type stuff.

people just do customize there cars like they use too..

upholstery....yes......not much outside the car...other than wheels and Matte finish pant now.

basskiller

Friends Remembered
Sep 12, 2010
sheet metal ???

replace inner headliner
paint just the top.. could even accent it like it was ment to have the secondary color

Popeye50

Popeye50

Nov 5, 2012
Ive seen some badass custom Lexan/Plexiglass roofs...maybe look into that...not sure on the cost though

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
Im not familiar with that car bro but I did collision repair / bodywork for over 10 years and ill be damned if there is anything a good bodyshop cant handle. It may never work again when they are done but ill bet you they get it closed. Im not sure how that system works but im sure one could disconnect an electric motor or some shit and get it closed. I would bring a couple cases of beer down to a good privately owned bodyshop and get er done. The beer is just the carrot.................all bodymen and painters are drunks.

Regulator

Regulator

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2011
Couple trash bags and a roll of duct tape. U didn't say it had to be pretty.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
oh wait.....my goal is to get it closed....and never used again....not that I want to fix it. they tried to push and pull and the thing just does not budge. the motors still work....but the sunroof is jammed. according to the specs....the sunroof has about 31 moving pieces......

there are several owners with vehicles like this in the same predictament. My neighbor is a MB repair dude....he said MB offered classes for this when they first came out.....but the number of trained techs today that knows about the roof are far and few.

so my neighbor is saying to pull it in the garage....drop the headliner...take everything down...and put it back together closed.......but I want to see if I can just get rid of the sunroof and put glass there....

when closed...there is a lot of inside noise.......and the roof is not well insulated.

thanks for the replies...will look into the glasses...

Basskiller....that may be an option after the glass.

I have a budget ......and not going to go broke here.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Manually crank it, LOL Like the 3 dealers you took it to didn't try that already??

I got nothing bro, maybe WD40 and some vice grips :)

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
I believe this 100%. I have a 325xi..my sunroof came off track. The estimate was 5K+. I got it closed. Now I do not use the sunroof anymore LOL.

L

Lil Canada

May 10, 2011
Webasto has had several recalls on different models of their product. Check with them and see if they will fix it under a warranty or a recall. Buddy of mine has a great body shop and he could make it look like that roof never existed and go with sheet metal like they would have from the factory. I would not do fiberglass on it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic