Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Statin is killing my joints.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Niacin is not fun! Tried it. The flush is horrible! And my understanding is that’s the only kind that works. Citrus bergamot, Berberine and EPA is all you need imo. Throw in some nattokinase and your heart will thank you.

Yea I took one of the 1000mg tablets last night for the first time. Woke me up with mild stomach pain and then the flushing crept up to full blast and lasted maybe two hours. It definitely was not fun. Going to take half tonight and work on tolerance.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Yea I took one of the 1000mg tablets last night for the first time. Woke me up with mild stomach pain and then the flushing crept up to full blast and lasted maybe two hours. It definitely was not fun. Going to take half tonight and work on tolerance.
I tried to get used to it. But for me, the more I used it the more I hated the flush. Even at 250mg my skin would get prickly and eventually dropped it. And sometimes the same dose would be more of a flush one day than the next. Make you think you have a good dose but then next day it’s bad flush at same dose. 500mg fucks me up for a couple hours. Funnily I accidentally took one not that long ago on accident. A whole pill of 500mg I think and I was at work. Turned bright read. Was miserable. Most tolerated way I took it was yeah, splitting up dose thru the day. I just couldn’t get used to it even at low doses. Oh, and it didn’t help my HDL, which was why I was taking it. Already got LDL under control. Just haven’t been able to find anything to raise HDL yet. For me anyways.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
That chit aint cheap either elite epa even thru iherb is like $70+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look for it on Amazon. Can get it for under $40. Carlson - Elite EPA Gems, 1000 mg EPA Fish Oil, Wild-Caught, Norwegian Fish Oil Supplement, Sustainably Sourced, Helps Maintain Healthy Triglyceride Levels, 60 Softgels https://a.co/d/3Su106A
IMG_1004.png

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
So no seed oils, only olive oil, what about canola?

Im not on any androgens and havent been for years, quit trt in 2014-2015 and my total test is over 500… tested in September of this year…

So fresh fruits, meats and veggies

What about carbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Use real butter for frying. There’s an Irish brand at most grocery stores. Kerrygold I think it’s called. Way better for you than canola. Margarin is just solid seed oil. No go.

Lurch

Lurch

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2013

That's a strong dose to start. Maybe 250-500 until you get used to that and then up it from there. I recently spent around 3 weeks getting used to 500mg before upping it to 1000. I'll stay on that dose for a while and probably bump it up to 1500mg. Annoying part is even just stopping for a few days will drop my tolerance a bit. Water soluble so it's easy to go and hard to build up.

Use real butter for frying. There’s an Irish brand at most grocery stores. Kerrygold I think it’s called. Way better for you than canola. Margarin is just solid seed oil. No go.

That or the Kirkland grass fed butter is what I've used for a long time. Such a strange world we live in where we have to stress that we should use real foods. So much propaganda was pushed with these ultra processed alternatives.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
That's a strong dose to start. Maybe 250-500 until you get used to that and then up it from there. I recently spent around 3 weeks getting used to 500mg before upping it to 1000. I'll stay on that dose for a while and probably bump it up to 1500mg. Annoying part is even just stopping for a few days will drop my tolerance a bit. Water soluble so it's easy to go and hard to build up.

That or the Kirkland grass fed butter is what I've used for a long time. Such a strange world we live in where we have to stress that we should use real foods. So much propaganda was pushed with these ultra processed alternatives.

Niacin is proving very random for side effects. 1000mg first day, which I posted. 500mg next day. Worst so far. Brutal sides and came on fast under an hour. I was on fire and just had to lay in bed... couldn't move or I'd start itching like crazy. 500mg yesterday. Nothing. Going to 500mg it again today. Roll the dice.

I've been using Kerry Gold for a while, but it is rather expensive. Go through a package once a month, so it's not terrible. Gotta hit Costco today and will take a look at Kirky's.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I thought the flush free niacin was proven not to work the same?
I took Niaspan about 10 years ago from the doc and let me say it almost killed me. Flushing it itchy out of my skin ...even my eyeballs were flusing dry itchy... goddammit.

Lurch

Lurch

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2013
I thought the flush free niacin was proven not to work the same?
I took Niaspan about 10 years ago from the doc and let me say it almost killed me. Flushing it itchy out of my skin ...even my eyeballs were flusing dry itchy... goddammit.

From everything I've read that is correct, the flush free forms don't show the same effects on cholesterol. The first phase of building up your tolerance can be, uncomfortable with the flush. However, if you compare the side effects (which I don't like that term, they're really just effects, it's not like a side dish you order with dinner) with statin drugs, the flush starts to look a lot better.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I'm up to 1000mg without side effects. Once I had done three days of sides-free 500mg, I bumped to 1000mg. Had a little bit of facial and arm irritation, but beyond that nothing. Since then, it's been fine. Such a basic supplement with a such a weird response. I'm curious as to why it makes your skin itch and burn for capillaries to expand, but I'm even more curious as to how the body acclimates. What really happens?

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
I tried niacin for a good while. Even half a 500mg tablet I could not get acclimated to. I would take half in morning half in evening. Some doses I’d be fine. Some would get flush. That was most I could tolerate and from what I remember you needed at least 1000mg per day to get benefits so stopped taking it after bloodwork showed no improvement to HDL.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic