Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Shoulder replacement

ogre

ogre

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2016
Looks like I'm going to be getting reverse shoulder replacement sugery.Anyone had it done?What should I expect.I had rotator cuff sugery done 13 ys ago on my other shoulder and really sucked and took a year to heal.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I am trying to schedule mine for late Dec. Left first then right. Pain now is unbearable and can't do shit. Asked the same question a while back, don't think anyone has gone there yet. I saw 4 different surgeons. The guy I'm going with played college football, had surgeries on both shoulders and can't raise his right arm above his shoulder bc of arthritis. He knows what is coming and gets it. He is an avid lifter so he is focused on getting you back on track ASAP. The rTSAs now aren't your grandfathers rTSAs. They've come a long way. They do CT 3d imaging to obtain a best fit for the patients, reattached as much in the way of RC muscles, esp the subscap for stability. In some cases superior to TSA. He told me brace for 2 weeks, PT and no strength work for 3 mos, then start back slowly There are restrictions, they tell you nothing overhead over 25 lbs, shit I can't raise my arm overhead at all now so I'd take that. Each case is different, some return to sports (not powerlifting or OL) but have good strength and ROM, others no so much but its related to rehab and previous fitness along with mindset. One of my former clients is a retired vascular surgeon and had an rTSA, he follows pretty much what I write for my regular clients wo issue. A good friend and former world class PL (mid 80's to mid 2000's) has an rTSA. She used to squat 570's, bench 315 and DL over 600. Even in her 60's with the rTSA she is benching 135, incl DB 40's and hex bar DL 225, no problems at 8 mos post op. Her doc doesn't know she's being that aggressive, but the shoulder is holding up well. They used to think the rTSA would wear out, now their are finding even in younger patients that are active, the rTSA outlasts the patient. Farmers get them and still manage to do pretty heavy farm work so the old school thinking of can't lift more than a cup of coffee or wipe one's ass is grossly outdated. Having said that, you have to find the right surgeon. Lets keep eachother updated esp with rehab. Also thinking of adding primo or var to my HRT post op and with rehab. There was a NIH study looking at VAR post rotator cuff surgery in both men and women, but I don't think it was ever published, likelyl bc it showed benefits and no one in the clinical world wants that or anything good coming from AAS.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . . Having said that, you have to find the right surgeon . . . .
Been an avid reader of your posts here, learning what I can about what seems relevant to me ... and one question I keep wondering ever since your praise for that robotic prostate surgery woman who seems way ahead of the average urologist:

How do you go about your doctor-shopping in a way that produces reliable recommendations as to who the state-of-the-art providers are?

I see here that you saw 4 surgeons before you selected one, but how did you even narrow it down to 4 "finalists" among all the surgeons one might find during an online search?

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Looks like I'm going to be getting reverse shoulder replacement sugery.Anyone had it done?What should I expect.I had rotator cuff sugery done 13 ys ago on my other shoulder and really sucked and took a year to heal.
Make sure you ask your doctor whether or not you will ever be able to lift weight again. Mine informed me I would not ever be able to lift more than 25 lbs. I prefer to just deal with the pain.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
I am curious if any of you guys have considered stem cell injections. I have recently listened to some podcasts. One was on Superhuman Radio about a Dr Seeds that was using the patients own bone barrow. Separating the stem cells and injecting them into the joint. A half hour procedure with amazing results. He also uses peptides to feed the stem cells into new cartilage and joint material. Sounds amazing. And this podcast was from 2018. I have also heard of it on Think Big podcast. Forget who mentioned it but they said guys were going to Panama. Dr takes out some bone marrow. You chill on the beach for 5 days while they multiply your stem cells. Then they inject it into the joint and you fly home. I realize these procedures would be out of pocket and most likely you guys are going through insurance. But if not it might be something to look into. If this Dr Seeds was doing this 3 years ago in the US, I would think it should be more available now from other doctors. And if it’s working as good as it sounds, hopefully will become more of a standard option. Instead of cortisol shots that actually damage the joint further. I could see this procedure being slow at being accepted by most doctors and surgeons because it will put them out of a job potentially. And the prosthetic joint companies out of business as well. So just like finding a cure for cancer, no one (besides the patient) wants that to happen.

norm

norm

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2023
Take a look at my post not too long ago:

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
LOL, norm, I had not forgotten that post that came very soon after your Intro, but I did forget that it included one possible answer to my doctor-search question.

I did remember that you were in Southern Cal, which would be a deal breaker for me, but I forgot you included the method you used to choose your doctor. That might or might not work with whatever things I suspect are wrong with my shoulder, or in my part of the USA, but it'll get me started.

Thanks AGAIN, norm ... hope you're enjoying that gym you and genetic freak spoke about back around then.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Make sure you ask your doctor whether or not you will ever be able to lift weight again. Mine informed me I would not ever be able to lift more than 25 lbs. I prefer to just deal with the pain.
BT, no one seems to know where that number comes from. It's like they told me not to lift more than 6 lbs for 6 weeks after my HOLEP prostate laser. I was back in the gym in 7 days without issue, started easy and nothing on a bike, but 6 lbs and they couldn't tell me where that number came from. Back surgery, no more than 10 lbs for 3 mo. My neurosurgeon said that was made up bullshit, he said don't strain and wear the brace. I carried a 40 lb copier up the stairs at 6 weeks. Those numbers have never been validated by any study and certainly not in a fit population. My situation is really bad, I can't even lift my arm let alone 25 lbs overhead. My friend is pulling 225 with the hex bar without problems. When I mentioned this to one of the surgeons (she is chair of the shoulder surgery dept at a major institution), she didn't even flinch. Told me I'd be able to do what I described and that was way more than the 25 lb limit. I have no choice, so we will see how this goes.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Been an avid reader of your posts here, learning what I can about what seems relevant to me ... and one question I keep wondering ever since your praise for that robotic prostate surgery woman who seems way ahead of the average urologist:

How do you go about your doctor-shopping in a way that produces reliable recommendations as to who the state-of-the-art providers are?

I see here that you saw 4 surgeons before you selected one, but how did you even narrow it down to 4 "finalists" among all the surgeons one might find during an online search?
She was into robotics with her PhD and then went into urology, she does laser work on BPH, but is very skilled. First I ask around and read their bios on line, then narrow my search to 4 from different institutions or practices. The initial office visit gives me an assessment of the surgeon and supporting staff. If they come off as an arrogant ass or throw any red flags, they are off the list. Two, I look for who aligns best with my expectations and my expectations come from reading the lit and forums, they are realistic. Three, I see if they listen and consider my individual needs. Are they are a true surgeon or technician (we do 10 of these a week, when do you want it done) vs figuring out what is the best possible procedure for me and what I need to do in life (ADLs, exercise, etc.) again within reason. Lastly, 3 have to be in agreement as to what needs to be done, if not I keep looking. The rest is insurance and admin bullshit, but with Medicare it makes it alot easier to find the best surgeon and supporting staff.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Take a look at my post not too long ago:

My rotators are trashed, the rTSA is the only option. We'll see how this goes.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
BT, no one seems to know where that number comes from. It's like they told me not to lift more than 6 lbs for 6 weeks after my HOLEP prostate laser. I was back in the gym in 7 days without issue, started easy and nothing on a bike, but 6 lbs and they couldn't tell me where that number came from. Back surgery, no more than 10 lbs for 3 mo. My neurosurgeon said that was made up bullshit, he said don't strain and wear the brace. I carried a 40 lb copier up the stairs at 6 weeks. Those numbers have never been validated by any study and certainly not in a fit population. My situation is really bad, I can't even lift my arm let alone 25 lbs overhead. My friend is pulling 225 with the hex bar without problems. When I mentioned this to one of the surgeons (she is chair of the shoulder surgery dept at a major institution), she didn't even flinch. Told me I'd be able to do what I described and that was way more than the 25 lb limit. I have no choice, so we will see how this goes.
Are you talking about a reverse shoulder replacement? I just got through talking to an orthopedic surgeon with UT orthopedics. Because I have two rotators that seem to be missing he wants to do a reverse shoulder replacement. I asked him specifically about weight training and what amount I could lift after rehab and he said not more than 25 lbs. Hell, I would blow out my replacement getting up out of bed so I told him that was out then.

@Wilson6 I understand your pain. I am in considerable pain but can still work out with lighter weights for higher repetitions. I have no problem doing an incline press with 150lbs for 12 reps. But my right shoulder pops badly. I can't do anything over head and can't do front raises and minimal weight doing lateral raises. I am living on Ibuprofen, Tylenol arthritis strength and Celebrex. I rotate them every day. I have long acting cortisone injections every 4 months and have even tried hyaluronic acid injections, hGH injections, BPC 157/TB500, nothing is helping. X-rays show itis getting worse.

My dilemma is right now I can continue to at least work out and keep the muscles strong. If this doctor is right and I can't ever lift more than 25lbs I am fucked for good. The guy tells me I can do other activities. REALLY....I have degenerative disk (L4/L5) osteoarthritis in the other shoulder and knee. So there is no other activity I can even do. So without weight lifting my health is going to go to shit quickly.

If you get this done please keep me informed. My quality of life sucks and the pain makes it very difficult to even sleep.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Just found this

PERMANENT RESTRICTIONS

Reverse total shoulder replacements are mechanical devices susceptible to wear. Lifting heavy objects creates high force at the glenoid (socket) and is associated with loosening and early failure. For this reason, NO LIFTING greater than 50lbs floor to waist is allowed. NO lifting greater than 25lbs should be done at chest height or above. Inability to stay within these restrictions is likely to cause failure of your total shoulder replacement in a short period of time.

This is just what I was told by the orthopedic surgeon I went to see. Under these restrictions, I'll tolerate the pain.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic