Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

sciatic nerve flare up?

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Whoops the reply above was for another thread (about shoulders)! Ha! Disregard that.

Your case is definitely not hopeless though, if the herniation have healed decently.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Sadly, most physicians don't have a clue about sports injuries. It's not really rocket science.

If the tissues are undamaged, or at least not torn, you're likely dealing with poor stabilization. It's almost always an issue.

Rotator cuff and scapular stability is a must. They also are requires to move correctly. A common issue is that the scapula does not follow the humerus with posterior rotation and abduction, but instead elevates. That's a recipe for frozen shoulder and impingement.

Second is rotator cuff stability, when the small stabilizers do not adequately centrated the humeral head in the socket.

Sometimes, excessively tight triceps, biceps, delts and coraco brachialis have potential to pull the humerus out of axis. These also need assessment. These are specific things that almost never happen with the general population. Mainly meatheads.

Don't give up. If there's nothing torn, it IS fixable.

My AC joint is completely blown out from my college baseball days. That's another issue altogether. When I put the back of my hand to my lower back behind me, I have a golf ball that sticks out of my socket. I know you're newer around here but I'm a walking ailment and just trying to live normal and throw some decent weight around in the meantime.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
My AC joint is completely blown out from my college baseball days. That's another issue altogether. When I put the back of my hand to my lower back behind me, I have a golf ball that sticks out of my socket. I know you're newer around here but I'm a walking ailment and just trying to live normal and throw some decent weight around in the meantime.

Well, sounds like rotator cuff dysfunction. Humeral anterior glide is likely the diagnosis.
Sounds like you have a lot of problems mate, I am sorry to hear it.

Both the posts I made with specific advice, I'd invite you to try out. I haven't looked at you in person, but what you're describing I've seen so many times...

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Well, sounds like rotator cuff dysfunction. Humeral anterior glide is likely the diagnosis.
Sounds like you have a lot of problems mate, I am sorry to hear it.

Both the posts I made with specific advice, I'd invite you to try out. I haven't looked at you in person, but what you're describing I've seen so many times...

Cuff is intact and the strongest part of my shoulder. Appreciate you chiming in benevolently.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
So you have assessed external rotation (infraspinatus teres minor), abduction (supraspinatus) and subscapularis? Manual muscle tests? All are working perfectly?
I am struggling to believe it, as it doesn't keep the humeral head inside the socket. Kinesiologic dysfunction IS possible even when it's strong, but if you're able to lock your shoulders together (you're not new to lifting after all), then I strongly doubt it's as function as you claim. Obviously I am not saying this to doubt your words, but rather to find a solution to your problem mate.

I can try to make a better evaluation, but I need a pic of your posture from the front, side (knees hip ,shoulder and neck should be visible in this one) and back (shoulderblades' contour need to be somewhat visible).

Last edited:
P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
Raiden I had the same thing and my own was due to prolonged (and I mean prolonged) periods of sitting at work. And when I felt that numbness hit my arse, I would simply just get up for a few seconds and sit right back down. Stupid, stupid mistake.

I took me a very short time to mess myself up and over one year to fix it.

I started to perform every morning without fail rope and band stretches. You lay on your back but the band or rope on your foot. Put your foot in the air and stretch it toward your chest. And at first I couldn't stretch worth crap, but little by little it got better.

Then I also started to do glute bridge exercises at the gym. And even though it looked weird sticking your privates into the air with a bar across your hips; the exercise helped a lot.

Another thing that I did was kickbacks on a machine. That's the machine that most woman use to tighten their bottoms. And believe me, that was a humble experience because I felt like such a wimp.

And the thing that upset me the most was that my powerlifting went down the toilet. Hell, I could even feel my bad glute go numb when benching. So forget about squatting or deadlifting.

But now, I don't sit for long periods. I stretch every day in the morning and afternoon. Continue on with my "weird" exercises at the gym and have been able to get back to my powerlifting:)

Hope this helps...

phantom

phantom

Jul 7, 2014
My sciatic nerve hit me so bad I was crawling on the floor barely able to get up. They have me a shot of decca in the hospital and major pain killers and muscle relaxers. Feel your pain

Billthebutcher

Billthebutcher

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2011
Its the craziest thing I was out one day after sleeping on the couch. Thats a whole another story lol. Got up rolled on the ground and couldn't move. Got in Truck drove to office got there and got out and started sweating and was stuck. Hope you feel better soon. Its NO joke

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
i just looked this up and sounds almost identical. It says can be triggered by sitting for prolonged periods or certain kind of excersizes involving legs or hips. Thanks man i will keep this in mind. Welcome to TID bud.

Raided I got same things sucks ! Just work on flexibility fir that area .

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
So you have assessed external rotation (infraspinatus teres minor), abduction (supraspinatus) and subscapularis? Manual muscle tests? All are working perfectly?
I am struggling to believe it, as it doesn't keep the humeral head inside the socket. Kinesiologic dysfunction IS possible even when it's strong, but if you're able to lock your shoulders together (you're not new to lifting after all), then I strongly doubt it's as function as you claim. Obviously I am not saying this to doubt your words, but rather to find a solution to your problem mate.

I can try to make a better evaluation, but I need a pic of your posture from the front, side (knees hip ,shoulder and neck should be visible in this one) and back (shoulderblades' contour need to be somewhat visible).

Another incredibly insightful post! This dude is a frigen genius love em , big man crush hug lmao

N

NattyIce

Jul 14, 2014
same problem.. cant do any lower back exercises anymore or else it willl leave me in agony.. even squats cause quite some pain... super annoying.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I know how you guys are feeling. I fell off a building almost 10 years ago and fractured a vertebrae (L4). And herniated my L4 and L5 disks.

It still flares up at least once or twice a year, mostly when I slack off from hip mobility work, or don't go to the chiro for over a month (ideally I need to be adjusted every other week). Reverse Hypers help a bunch with lower back problems. They open everything up. I also got a nice stim machine at my house.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic