Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Quitting Coffee

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I quit coffee a week ago, somewhat on a whim. The past few months, I've found myself enjoying it less and less, so one morning I just didn't make it and kept not making it. My sleep has been better than it has been in a very, very long time... 5+ years at least. I'm also dreaming, something I have also not done in a very, very long time. So, in spite of only drinking it even just the mornings, apparently it was increasing things chronically to the point of interfering with sleep. However, that is one of only a few positives (the other positive being gut related). My workouts have suffered. I can't get a pump for shit. I have little endurance. My mood sucks. My energy levels suck. I'm really thinking of re-introducing it (maybe smaller amounts) but wonder if I should just press ahead. It's only been a week, but I'm wondering if there won't be any return to previous baseline or adjustment.

Has anyone successfully quit coffee and thought "wow I'm glad I did that?" Because while I do love quality sleep, for the other 16+ hours a day, those all have been sucking. It feels very similar to having low Test.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Nope....I lover it, lol. I put 1 Tablespoon in my morning protein drink, and then another around 3pm in my Greek yogurt meal. At night, i'll usually have another Greek uogurt meal before bed, and i'll use DECAF instant coffee for that one. Decaf is NASTY, but it tastes fine when I mix it with my yogurt.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Nope....I lover it, lol. I put 1 Tablespoon in my morning protein drink, and then another around 3pm in my Greek yogurt meal. At night, i'll usually have another Greek uogurt meal before bed, and i'll use DECAF instant coffee for that one. Decaf is NASTY, but it tastes fine when I mix it with my yogurt.

Yea, I think I've been using too much for a long time. Usually equals like 4-5 tablespoons of a fresh grind per pot.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I had to quit for over a year because it was causing vertigo. I never really got to the energy levels that I had with coffee. I was happy when I could drink it again.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Yea, I think I've been using too much for a long time. Usually equals like 4-5 tablespoons of a fresh grind per pot.
Yea, I don't drink any from a pot. I like drinking coffee, but when I drink hot liquids I start sweating like a madman. Adding it to my protein drink is awesome. I make them the day/night prior so that the flavors meld together by time I drink it.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
For pumps and energy in the gym try this https://yepstrength.com/shop-now-1/ols/products/stupid-pumped. You only need one scoop.

Best thing about the stuff other than the fact it does work. I ran into John at the St. Louis show last year and bought his pre-workout formula that contained stimulants and the stuff was awesome. We got to talking a bit and started following each other on IG. Fast forward to a year later. I run into John at another show and as I walk up to the booth he says, "Bro, I am so stoked you made it to the show. I wasn't sure after your bout in the hospital if you were going to compete or not, but I am glad you made it. I also designed a new pre-workout formula with no stimulants you can use with your heart issues." The dude actually cared enough to remember me and the fact I was hospitalized a couple months before the show.

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
I usually drank more on the weekends than through the week. Now I seldom finish a 12oz cup in the mornings when getting ready for work. On days I'm running behind and have to make a shake with egg whites, protein, salt, L-Glutamine & collagen I'll just toss whats left blender bottle and finish it.

I've never been a flavored coffee guy, but I do like a Starbucks Carmel macchiato when I can. Which means next Monday after I finish competitions, lol. A little Rumchada or baileys helps too, lol.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
i quit all preworkout and just grind n brew coffee all day......only down side is the strong coffee taste all day.

bad on your kidneys and blood vessels but we are al going to die 1 day so why make yourself miserable!

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
One other thing, how has your water intake changed since you dropped the coffee? I know a lot of people naturally drink more water when their caffeine intake is higher. If your water intake has dropped, it could be the reason for no pump and decreased energy levels.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
One other thing, how has your water intake changed since you dropped the coffee? I know a lot of people naturally drink more water when their caffeine intake is higher. If your water intake has dropped, it could be the reason for no pump and decreased energy levels.

Water is about the same, which admittedly wasn't great on coffee anyway. I felt so much better on coffee, aside from the deep sleep I now get. I'm so tempted to just resume at a much lower amount to try and find that "therapeutic" dose. It's been 8 or so days, now.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Water is about the same, which admittedly wasn't great on coffee anyway. I felt so much better on coffee, aside from the deep sleep I now get. I'm so tempted to just resume at a much lower amount to try and find that "therapeutic" dose. It's been 8 or so days, now.
Not sure where you are health wise and condition wise, but maybe try bumping up the sodium and fats before jumping back on caffeine.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic