Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Push for the last show of the year -Rock

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
goals definitely seem doable, I agree with Bigguns thoughts as far as judging, and I have seen guys who are not as "chiseled" because they are focused on growing not place in shows because of their conditioning, but when they are where they want to be size wise they blow out the competition, using the competitions in the process to gain judges feedback and performance practive…. Good Luck Rock!

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
goals definitely seem doable, I agree with Bigguns thoughts as far as judging, and I have seen guys who are not as "chiseled" because they are focused on growing not place in shows because of their conditioning, but when they are where they want to be size wise they blow out the competition, using the competitions in the process to gain judges feedback and performance practive…. Good Luck Rock!

Thank you DC!!

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
248 this am. Feel great. I slept in today to get some extra muscle growth rest. ;)

Can really see things getting sharper. It would be better if I'd shave before pics.

Last edited:
RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Looking good mqn! Good luck at your show, stay positive and you will fine bro!

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
That really is a lot of improvement in very short time.

I literally just started cardio 2 weeks ago after the first pics were taken. The back fat goes first then the belly. I think I'll have time to get it done. I'm shooting for being 95%ready 4 weeks out.

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
Hey Rock,
Looks like you are in a good position at 12 plus weeks out. To nail conditioning you have to be down in good shape several weeks out so keep that in mind.

I grabbed your quote below because I see some real positive thinking in here that a guy our age is not a easy task to pull off. That is "15# heavier then last year comment". IMO that will hurt your prep in a few ways mostly mentally. You know this game gets very mental. I say get that part about last years scale weight vers this years scale weight out of your mind.
IMO The goal is to better your best. Hell, ya a new 15# of lean mass would be great. But so would 2,3,4 or maybe 5#,

I see guys year after year tell me just how much lean mass they gained in the off season. Then show time they scale much heavier. Yet, there is one problem..... they looked like butter balls. Their body fat might be a few % higher then the year before. The difference between 3% and 6% is a fair amount of scale weight.

My point in all of this is approach each week with a goal. Reach that goal. Not by starving but working your nutrition and training to maintain as much lean mass as possible while burning body fat.

Rock Im not trying to come off like a know it all. I'm just sharing what I see often in our sport. We build in the off season that is the time to grow. When in comp prep mode we more often then not are in a catabolic state do to lower calories. So, kinda hard to BUILD muscle. We do our best to maintain. Yes, I know all about growing into a show. I see that more as a depleted guy filling back out with carbs the weeks coming into the show.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey. I didn't know there we any shows that late in the year.
I will keep an eye on this thread too.

GC

Thanks for the props fellas. I know I've got a long ways to go, I really let my conditioning get out of hand this summer. But I've done it before and I can do it again. Hopefully I don't just end up 12 to 14 pounds lighter. Best case scenario is to add a few pounds of muscle as I drop the fat pounds over the next few weeks. Would really like to be on stage at 235. That would be 15 pounds heavier than last year.

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
GC I really appreciate you taking the time to post on this. This will only be my second bb show and I am working with a trainer, but it is always great to hear advice from those that have been there before. When I competed men's physique, I was able to get a lot more shredded. Probably because I wasn't quite as concerned about losing any muscle during the cut phase. The potential for losing any muscle that I've gained is really a hard thing for me to overcome in trying to get my conditioning right this time which is why I kind of want to keep The goal of gaining some muscle as I'm losing fat in mind. Maybe it's just a mind thing, I know the scale weight is going to go down but I also monitor my look in the mirror quite a bit.

Yes my concentration is on conditioning. I'm really not all that concerned about scale weight, I was more or less guesstimating where I should be on stage. If you ask me I couldn't tell you where I put on the 15 pounds of lean mass. Most people I know say that I've gotten a lot bigger, but I just don't see it in the places I really want to grow such as my lats, upper arms and shoulders. I've somewhat given up hope on my hamstrings and glutes's developing the way they should. It's just bad genetics.

I would greatly appreciate you keeping an eye on me through this and giving me any and all advice you can. That's why I'm going to post weekly pictures. Not that I don't trust and have confidence in my trainer, but sometimes just more eyes on my physique and more critique will just help me improve that much more.

And you are very right 2, 3 even 5 pounds of muscle in a year of good solid quality muscle is great.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hey rock, your quads look excellent in your front pic, especially at 12 weeks out. You've got nice separation. Not trying to be overly critical, but if you can get your hammies and calves to come up to your quads, you'll have an excellent set of wheels.

Overall, you're looking great! I'll keep following your progress, if you care to share.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Separation in your quads is coming in nicely bro! That's where I wann lean out at a little more. Good work Rock

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
240.4lb this morning. I feel like I made pretty good progress this week. Had a cheat on Thursday, first in 3 weeks. 10 weeks out. Feel pretty beat up. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411931727.406813.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411931778.561935.jpg

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic