Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

POWER RED DONATION

956Vette

956Vette

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2010
Lab monitoring I use to better interpret when blood donation is helpful (learned the hard way crashing ferritin):
On Androgens Monitoring:
  • CBC (includes Differential and Platelets) [ 6399 ]
  • Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP) [ 10231 ]
  • Ferritin [ 457 ]
  • Iron and Total Iron Binding Capacity (TIBC) [ 7573 ]
  • Lipid Panel With Ratios [ 19543 ]
  • PSA Total [ 5363 ]

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
I donate Power Red, have never felt off....but I did have a ferritin crash that freaked out my doc. Low ferritin can cause a ton of problems. Always a good idea to take some iron supplements for a couple weeks after a Power Red donation. Nothing crazy. I think the Red Cross literature, which I didn't read the first time I did a Power Red, says to take iron.

956Vette

956Vette

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2010
I donate Power Red, have never felt off....but I did have a ferritin crash that freaked out my doc. Low ferritin can cause a ton of problems. Always a good idea to take some iron supplements for a couple weeks after a Power Red donation. Nothing crazy. I think the Red Cross literature, which I didn't read the first time I did a Power Red, says to take iron.
What I liked about donating double red was that you left hydrated, as compared to giving whole blood.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Did you have any symptoms when ferritin was crashed? What did doc have to say?

My ferritin was extremely low (well out of range) but hemoglobin was normal. Doc wasn't too concerned and said I was not anemic. Kind of surprised me.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Have struggled with Ferritin and Iron for years, having to take an expensive heme iron supplement to even tread water at max dose. Few months ago I dropped all orals (was taking year round because I am invincible). I have a whole battery of labs on Monday I'm hoping are going to show some improvement with blood values and lipids.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
Did you have any symptoms when ferritin was crashed? What did doc have to say?

My ferritin was extremely low (well out of range) but hemoglobin was normal. Doc wasn't too concerned and said I was not anemic. Kind of surprised me.
Nothing. We were looking for something else and she kinda ran the test on a whim. It was 26ng/dl, and normal range is 23 - 233. So I was very low normal. If memory serves me correctly I had just done my first Power Red about 2 weeks prior. She was shocked I wasn't having symptoms but she was very, very concerned. Started me on iron right away.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Nothing. We were looking for something else and she kinda ran the test on a whim. It was 26ng/dl, and normal range is 23 - 233. So I was very low normal. If memory serves me correctly I had just done my first Power Red about 2 weeks prior. She was shocked I wasn't having symptoms but she was very, very concerned. Started me on iron right away.
Interesting. Mine was 10 ng/dl. Started an iron supp for 3 months then doc rechecked bloodwork, but didn't even check ferritin again. Bloodwork came back normal and doc never mentioned ferritin again. I quit taking the iron supplement shortly afterward as my hemoglobin was heading into the 18s. I donate a few times a year and feel fine.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
For 26 years, I had elevated RBC and hematocrit. Every single lab test it is high. I can donate double reds and a couple weeks later I am high again, so I stopped donating.

I had some heart issues at the beginning of June and figured I had to do something. I jumped on Dante's protocol of 1000 mg citrus bergamot/4000 fu nattokinaise in the morning and evening along with stopping all vitamin c supplementation and watching my iron intake. I went from eating red meat several times a week to maybe once a week and cut out the cream of rice/wheat, spinache, etc... In two months I went from a 57.1 to a 50.3 hematocrit. My doctor thought he pulled up the wrong patient's chart.

J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
For 26 years, I had elevated RBC and hematocrit. Every single lab test it is high. I can donate double reds and a couple weeks later I am high again, so I stopped donating.

I had some heart issues at the beginning of June and figured I had to do something. I jumped on Dante's protocol of 1000 mg citrus bergamot/4000 fu nattokinaise in the morning and evening along with stopping all vitamin c supplementation and watching my iron intake. I went from eating red meat several times a week to maybe once a week and cut out the cream of rice/wheat, spinache, etc... In two months I went from a 57.1 to a 50.3 hematocrit. My doctor thought he pulled up the wrong patient's chart.

Yup good ol dante knows his stuff!! Vit c will keep that stuff jacked up fo sho!!

I need to go run blood this next week and see how i look as well! Been getting dissy spells and woke up with a few bloody noses

Only issue with me is when i take natto it causes me to have bloody noses within a week

Citrus berg causes low blood sugar with some as well… im one of them… but i may try alternating the citrus berg and natto thru the week to see how i fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I've been trying to figure this out for several years. My ferritin is at the bottom of the normal range but Hb/HCT is always high. Blood iron is about mid normal. There is a condition called hypoferritinemia wo anemia (HWA). Low ferritin and normal Hb, and can produce symptoms of anemia. If blood iron is mid normal on a daily basis then you can't become anemic. Its a paradox. My hematologist isn't concerned, if I increase iron intake, it does nothing to increase ferritin, just accelerates the erythrocytosis. We represent a distinct subset of HWA, like everything else androgen related, you can't compare the lab variables and Sx to what happens in other disease states that elicit the same abnormalities. If we consume enough iron a day, does a low ferritin really matter?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic