jacobss
What's New?

Owning dogs

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
Sorry brother,
I had the vet come to my house when it was time for my dog. I didn't want to take him to an unfamiliar environment for his last moments (vets office).
Wanted him in his own home to make it as comfortable as possible for him. My wife, kids and I lied with him on the floor and held him and kept telling him how
amazing he was until his eyes closed. I was there when my parents took their last breaths, and this was every bit as excruciating.

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
Man, they are so awesome until the end. My son took our dog to the vet as he has had a cough. Got a tumor on his lung and heart. When my boy told me I was gutted. This dog and I have had some adventures. He always went 4x4ing with me all over the USA. Fishing trips to the coast. Hiking in Arkansas. Now he is at the end and damn it sucks.

Amazing how attached we get to these critters. Vet says he may last a month, he may last a year but surgery at his age is a 50/50 proposition that he even makes it through it. So we are gonna make him comfy and love him to the end.
Sorry to hear that. I've got a 16 year old Boston now that still gets around decent but def does not have a ton of time left. We had this dog's parents and he was the first born in the litter, the only one we didn't give away.

He was actually born in the middle of night. My wife woke me up and he was sitting there on my chest. He has been such a great dog and always has to be around us, in fact, he has separation anxiety. All my dogs have been awesome but when he goes, it will probably hurt the most.

Hope you get the max amount of time to love and cherish your dog. Doggies make great memories and bring a ton of happiness.

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
Sorry to hear that brother. We put on our beloved boxer down 4 years ago and I still have not gotten another dog. When memory photos pop up in my Google gallery, I get choked up. There is something very special about that unwavering loyalty and unconditional love. They don't hold grudges like a wife and the excitement never fades when you walk through the door for the millionth 'first time'.
LOL @ they don't hold grudges like a wife :D

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
I'm very sorry JG. It hurts like a mofo when man's best friend is in pain and will cross the dog rainbow bridge. Days seem to run together the older I get, but it seems like just yesterday that you lost Gus. Much love to you , the family and most of all your pup.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
We have a lot of dogs so I've been through this many times. Some worse than others. None were easy. I hope he beats the odds and live a year or more.

massimo1

massimo1

VIP Member
Dec 16, 2022
This is a good thread. I am on the threshold of getting a rescue dog. I realize I have to expect it may have about 10 years in a good home . But then again, me too.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Five down and four still here for me + Wife. Dogs sometimes just up + die when Nature says so, but I'm guessing most Dogs with loving owners die when their owners decide it's time to take them to the Vet.

That's the worst part ... deciding when is too soon vs. when did we wait longer than we should have?

I wouldn't mind having godlike powers over many humans I meet, but I hate having them over Dogs, and don't think I deserve to.

100%

Just had to bring my guy to the vet last night to be put down. Tough day for the family, but his arthritis really set into his hind legs. He couldn't even get up for a day and a half. Even for a meatball, he'd get up and try to stand, but just sit back down. He was clearly in pain and it was time.

D

Dynahinte

Mar 14, 2024
I was there when my parents took their last breaths, and this was every bit as excruciating.

Yano

Yano

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2022
My dog has passed away yesterday. I'm full of mourning...he lived with us for 15 years!
*offers up a hug n hearty handshake.

Truly sorry for you and your families loss. Dogs are some of the best people I know.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic