Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Max amount of daily protein intake

DanButcher

DanButcher

Sep 9, 2010
I've been incorporating about 2grams per lb of bodyweight daily but does anyone know what the maximum amount of protein should be PER intake? That is, could anything above X grams in one sitting be a waste? I've heard anything over 30 grams at one time cannot be handled efficiently but I think the threshhold must be higher than this, especially if one's routine involves higher nitrogen retention, increased protein synthesis, improved red blood cell count, "slightly" elevated testosterone to epitestosterone ratio, etc.

Stats: 5'8", 220lbs, approx. 12-13% BF, cycled on/off since '98.

Mconniff

Mconniff

Nov 11, 2011
Anything over 50 grams is not only bad for your kidneys, but your body will only process 50 an hour anything more than that will go straight through.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Anything over 50 grams is not only bad for your kidneys, but your body will only process 50 an hour anything more than that will go straight through.

Classic! Scientific evidence or it didn't happen :)

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
2g/lb * bw does sound a bit overkill. I don't think its a dangerous amount but I have no science to back that up. I usually read that 1 to 1.5 is recommended. Personally I think its much more important to consider the source of all this protein. What percentage of this is from supplemental protein? Over 30% I'd say you have an issue.
GS

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I was just reading an article that says 20 grams per meal.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ion/six_things_you_need_to_know_about_protein
I've read this same number several times over the years.
However, when you're eating a lot, you need calories so it has to come from somewhere.
So you will probably have more than 20grams per meal to help meet your daily
calorie requirement.

Or...would it be better to up carbs and fats and keep protein at 20-30 grams per meal?
I don't know. I usually have more than 20 grams of protein per meal that's for sure.

S

Sammy555

Feb 22, 2012
It's all bullshit supplement industry talk. When I wanna get ripped I eat 1 meal per day with about 150+ grams of protein for 4 days of the week and get stronger. Eat a large piece of steak, throw up 10 hours later, I promise you there be bits of steak in your puke. You'd have to eat 10x daily to hit 200 g if you believe above study lol . Like lions we evolved to hunt a big meal, eat the fucker than find another hapless animal a few days later. This 30g of protein per meal bollocks just winds me up. Always ask yourself this when posed with a nutrition question, does it make sense from an evolution point of view. While we're at it ask yourself the same question about satuated fat. Rant over, flame suite on :eek:

Let me be clear my rant isn't at above posters, just bullshit supplement industry bro science in general

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Well the American RDA (I believe) is 0.4g/lbs, but this is based off studies with relatively sedentary individuals.

Logic would dictate that the more active you are then the more protein is going to be required; on a base level the protein will simply be used to fascilitate muscular recovery, preventing muscle/bone loss and providing your body with what it needs to either maintain or build muscle, depending on your activity type and the intensity level.

For strength training athletes I would be looking at at least double that, so 1g/lb bodyweight and upwards. The reason I am suggesting one gram/lb bodyweight and upwards is that people that train with weights are definately going to working at least twice as hard as the sedentary person (bit of a no-brainer there), so 1g would really be just a starting point. As you increase the protein markedly past this point, there has to be some optimal point where muscle building can occur ~ the ideal combination of training stimuli and protein intake/utilisation in the body. I'd have to look at the data for this, but I would say it's impossible to set a definative number as everybody is different, both with their muscular response to training, diet and how well their digestive system is functioning. Then of course you have the different types of protein, the main two being animal and plant... there are a lot of variables to factor in.

For an experienced lifter I would probably start around the 1.5g/lb bodyweight mark and take it from there depending on their initial response to that amount.

paarke

paarke

Sep 18, 2010
I usually shoot for a tight window of between 30 and 40 grams per meal or supplement shake.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
A few things to consider.

#1 - A meal is ENTIRELY different than a protein shake. Food will take substantially longer to digest than a protein shake, which brings me to #2.

#2 - Gluconeogenesis. Look it up, I'm not going to fully explain it to you, but basically, after a certain amount of amino acid assimilation, your liver will determine that your body is saturated with amino acids, and it will process the remaining amino acids by converting them into sugar. Yes, that is right, your liver will turn excess proteins into carbs. Exactly where that point is, will be largely individual, but a safe ballpark number would be about 30g/hour. That means if it only takes an hour to break down a protein shake, then to avoid gluconeogenesis, you should keep the shake at 30g or less. But a steak, as was already pointed out, will take upwards of 8 hours to fully digest, so you could conceivably eat a steak with 200g of protein (big-ass steak) and still actually use all of the amino acids for their intended purpose, instead of storing any as glucose.

#3 - Do whatever you want, but don't expect the "American RDA" to EVER be able to give an accurate recommendation, because it's a blanket statement for the masses and based on a study paid for by somebody. Figure it out for yourself. If you look like Dexter Jackson on a vegan diet, then more power to ya. I'll keep eating my steak, chicken, fish, and any other meat (besides FD's tubesteak) that I can get my hands on, because I've learned that THAT is how I grow.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
There is no set maximum amount. It's all dependent on the person and whether they're "on" or not.

E

eknight

Mar 28, 2013
For natural strength athletes, numerous studies have shown that more than .83 g/pound body weight- that's total body weight, not LBM- does not provide any better results. Some studies actually show that quite a bit less produces results that are on pace with over a gram/pound bw. -EK

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic