Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

List of injuries is crazy

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I was thinking more about this post, my take is don't wait until everything is broken. Take the most important/painful problem off the list and work your way down. I started with my prostate bc I knew the back surgery esp would be a nightmare with urinary retention, second was the back. Had I waited, it would have been insurmountable to overcome. As my neurosurgeon said, "if it can be fixed, get it fixed, it it can't, figure out how to deal with it, don't put up with anything that can be fixed because it just destroys your QOL."

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I hear and feel your pain bro, believe me.......lmao
Everything is phucked but not as fucked as being a fat assed pig that gets zero respect and some old saggy pussy!
My shoulders alone took a couple of years to recover somewhat but still worth it, keep hitting it and look to the future, the log would be fun to read, I never did one because I am a shitty and slow typer.
Best to you man

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Well you just made me feel better. 57 and one shoulder labrum clean-up and a torn pec 10 years ago prior to a PL meet. Guess I'm ahead of the curve. All my shit still hurts now when I got out of bed but better in 10 min.

Brother, my heart goes out to you. Father time comes for all us, it's how we deal with it that matters. At one time, I had a very competitive total, those days have gone by. Still held on to 90% of it at 50 y.o. and then she took a nose dive. Sure I'm not the same man I used to be with the weights but I can still look good. I also can take refuge in the fact that I had my day in the sun and been higher on the mountain then the average sloppy DadBods out there.

Heal up, assess where you are at, modify and enjoy the time in the gym. Honestly, I don't miss the stress of competing one bit.
You have been through a lot this past decade brother. Glad to see you still staying positive!
I appreciate that old friend. Thank you.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
That fractured elbow story had me cringing. I am always concerned that some injury will strike with no warning. It's already happened a few times, like a sudden "pop" doing regular set leg press, a boarding fall that tears my triceps tendon off the elbow, and recently a shoulder replacement.
If you haven't already, be sure to do lots of research on the hip replacement. I did that for my shoulder replacement and the outcome has been excellent. I have a post about that experience. I bet your hip replacement will turn out better than you are thinking.
Appreciate the kind words brother thank you

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
This is why I have kind of backed off increasing the weights on progressive overload. Instead, I have gone lighter and just made the reps a lot harder. I watch guys in the gym doing curls with way too much weight. I used to be one of them and my biceps never grew. However, the pain in my elbows did. I backed off a lot and now really focus on isolating the bicep and not allowing the delts or back to do any of the work. I might look like a pussy only doing 25-30 lbs on dumbbell preacher curls, but I have the biggest arms in the gym by a lot.
Light weights and higher reps is a smart move …. At times moderately heavy maybe? Thanks bro

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah bro, about 15 years ago I gave up lifting heavy, got skinny and now it is normal. But I missed my mass for months. I did enjoy being able to play ultimate frisbee with my son and his pals without getting winded in 3 minutes, also my bloodwork biometrics all improved and I feel like I will live longer and with a higher quality of life. It's all in the ego bro.

I hope you heal up quick from your injuries and upcoming surgery.
Nothing wrong with making the transition to an athletic build bro. Good to hear all is well…

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Well you just made me feel better. 57 and one shoulder labrum clean-up and a torn pec 10 years ago prior to a PL meet. Guess I'm ahead of the curve. All my shit still hurts now when I got out of bed but better in 10 min.

Brother, my heart goes out to you. Father time comes for all us, it's how we deal with it that matters. At one time, I had a very competitive total, those days have gone by. Still held on to 90% of it at 50 y.o. and then she took a nose dive. Sure I'm not the same man I used to be with the weights but I can still look good. I also can take refuge in the fact that I had my day in the sun and been higher on the mountain then the average sloppy DadBods out there.

Heal up, assess where you are at, modify and enjoy the time in the gym. Honestly, I don't miss the stress of competing one bit.
Thanks brother! I appreciate the motivating and understanding conversation from all of you.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
I hear and feel your pain bro, believe me.......lmao
Everything is phucked but not as fucked as being a fat assed pig that gets zero respect and some old saggy pussy!
My shoulders alone took a couple of years to recover somewhat but still worth it, keep hitting it and look to the future, the log would be fun to read, I never did one because I am a shitty and slow typer.
Best to you man
LG you have been thru more then I and your still standing upon the mountain top. Lots of respect for you brother much appreciated.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Hey brother we go quite a way back. I hope the operation and recovery go as well as it
possibly can. I panic just getting an MRI done. Feel like I'm in a damn coffin, never mind the results of it. My back, knees, shoulders all
are fucked, just not sure of the extent. I wake up and walk bent over like the crow magnum man for a good 15 minutes, then i start to straighten out in time.
I'm praying for ya buddy.
Absolutely bro we do go back a long ways. I’m the same with those damn MRI’s. Between the claustrophobia and ping noises non stop it takes everything I have to make it to the end. I’m not one to sit absolutely still for that long. The tech kept shutting it down and restarting .. she wasn’t happy with me lol

Yeah bro the aches and pain are part of it as you approach 60. At 63 I’ll get thru these injuries and get back at it I’ll never quit just make big adjustments. Still on TRT dose and will keep it there for long term. I even went as far as joint a gym that is somewhat expensive but has kick ass machines, a track surrounds the weight room, steam and dry sauna (separate rooms), hot tub and swimming pool. I don’t think swimming will be part of anything but now I understand why the old farts like saunas and what not. I won’t engage in walking around nude like some of the geezers but I get it now hahaha. So the place is super clean and provide towels, hygiene products and the likes. I think I can get some shit done there. It’ll be good..

thanks brutha ;- )

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Light weights and higher reps is a smart move …. At times moderately heavy maybe? Thanks bro
Occasionally, I will hit something in the 6-8 range, but most of the time it was because I was just depleted and something I did for 10-12 a couple weeks before or I really slowed the tempo down.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for all of the understanding and inspiring replies. I’ll get thru it. Gonna stay lean and eat super clean so that once I’m ready to build back a bit gains show immediately. Leanness has always been easy for me. I’d rather have size genetics but it is what is and always has been. Haha

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic