Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

List of injuries is crazy

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
I’m still recovering from fracturing my elbow doing preacher curls… (too heavy) or old brittle bones? Maybe a combination of. Loud snap, lots of pain and then the chipped bone floating around soft tissue area of the joint.
However, with a chip at the tip there is no surgery or treatment. Was advised to wear a sleeve for 3 months. Sounds good but I’ll pass … it’s healing up fine.

Also, have a lump just under right deltoid that recently increased in size. Had an MRI and thankfully it shows most likely a benign cyst. MRI also displayed a torn labrum 3:00 to 5:00 o’clock. Not a huge tear but a tear

Haven’t addressed that yet because I’m getting ready for surgery / lower right side groin hernia. Happened while training shoulders. Felt it tear and it sucked. Haha. Surgery this month on the 31st followed by 6 weeks recovery. No lifting.

Right hip replacement will be coming this winter and has yet to be scheduled. Was diagnosed in 2018 when soreness started. Surgeon claimed I’d need both replaced eventually. I thought naw it’s a money grab and I’ll work thru it …. and I have till recently. Right hip has been killing me. Time to quit procrastinating. I’m not typically afraid of surgery but having half of my femur sawed off tossed away and replaced with metal isn’t appealing to me at all. Kind of scared of this one. But the positive of it is I’m tired of being in pain and eating ibuprofen like M&M’s. Haven’t been able to train at my typical level.

Once this is all caught up I’ll be one helluva example of an old man surgery recovery and rebuilding. I love life and look forward to that part of these trying times.

If ya’ll are interested in my training recovery I think I’ll probably start a training log after the surgeries and document it here. I’d also deeply appreciate any and all advice thru the coming recovery and weight training.

Lastly, I do not have a Pay Pal and feel bad for having not yet donated to TID. Please advise and thank you all for your time.

Last edited:
Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I think at some point we all start to deteriorate. You got a choice set on the couch and do nothing and maybe save a joint and some muscle pain or get in the gym trying to be healthy and deal with the repercussions of a healthier stronger lifestyle. I will take the second over the first any day of the week.

Stay strong keep us up to date

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
You have been through a lot this past decade brother. Glad to see you still staying positive!

norm

norm

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2023
That fractured elbow story had me cringing. I am always concerned that some injury will strike with no warning. It's already happened a few times, like a sudden "pop" doing regular set leg press, a boarding fall that tears my triceps tendon off the elbow, and recently a shoulder replacement.
If you haven't already, be sure to do lots of research on the hip replacement. I did that for my shoulder replacement and the outcome has been excellent. I have a post about that experience. I bet your hip replacement will turn out better than you are thinking.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
This is why I have kind of backed off increasing the weights on progressive overload. Instead, I have gone lighter and just made the reps a lot harder. I watch guys in the gym doing curls with way too much weight. I used to be one of them and my biceps never grew. However, the pain in my elbows did. I backed off a lot and now really focus on isolating the bicep and not allowing the delts or back to do any of the work. I might look like a pussy only doing 25-30 lbs on dumbbell preacher curls, but I have the biggest arms in the gym by a lot.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Yeah bro, about 15 years ago I gave up lifting heavy, got skinny and now it is normal. But I missed my mass for months. I did enjoy being able to play ultimate frisbee with my son and his pals without getting winded in 3 minutes, also my bloodwork biometrics all improved and I feel like I will live longer and with a higher quality of life. It's all in the ego bro.

I hope you heal up quick from your injuries and upcoming surgery.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Well you just made me feel better. 57 and one shoulder labrum clean-up and a torn pec 10 years ago prior to a PL meet. Guess I'm ahead of the curve. All my shit still hurts now when I got out of bed but better in 10 min.

Brother, my heart goes out to you. Father time comes for all us, it's how we deal with it that matters. At one time, I had a very competitive total, those days have gone by. Still held on to 90% of it at 50 y.o. and then she took a nose dive. Sure I'm not the same man I used to be with the weights but I can still look good. I also can take refuge in the fact that I had my day in the sun and been higher on the mountain then the average sloppy DadBods out there.

Heal up, assess where you are at, modify and enjoy the time in the gym. Honestly, I don't miss the stress of competing one bit.

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
Hey brother we go quite a way back. I hope the operation and recovery go as well as it
possibly can. I panic just getting an MRI done. Feel like I'm in a damn coffin, never mind the results of it. My back, knees, shoulders all
are fucked, just not sure of the extent. I wake up and walk bent over like the crow magnum man for a good 15 minutes, then i start to straighten out in time.
I'm praying for ya buddy.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I love this place, makes me feel better about myself :) Prostate HOLEP Sept of 22, fusion/disc replacement lumbar March of 23, still dealing with the DVT but improving, have a seroma (fluid fill cyst of sorts in my left abdomen from the surgery) drained once, it is back and will need to be addressed (1200 cc), left shoulder gone, rTSA in Dec, right will be next. Just got over pneumonia while on vacation (first vacation since 2016 and was really looking forward to it), bilateral groin hernias (least of my pain), trying to keep moving despite the stabbing shoulder pain (giant GH cyst and two torn rotators, both sides and severe arthritis). Been through too much already to put a bullet in my head, might as well get the rest fixed. Just have to keep moving forward and remember there is always someone out there that would be happy to switch places with you.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I’m still recovering from fracturing my elbow doing preacher curls… (too heavy) or old brittle bones? Maybe a combination of. Loud snap, lots of pain and then the chipped bone floating around soft tissue area of the joint.
However, with a chip at the tip there is no surgery or treatment. Was advised to wear a sleeve for 3 months. Sounds good but I’ll pass … it’s healing up fine.

Also, have a lump just under right deltoid that recently increased in size. Had an MRI and thankfully it shows most likely a benign cyst. MRI also displayed a torn labrum 3:00 to 5:00 o’clock. Not a huge tear but a tear

Haven’t addressed that yet because I’m getting ready for surgery / lower right side groin hernia. Happened while training shoulders. Felt it tear and it sucked. Haha. Surgery this month on the 31st followed by 6 weeks recovery. No lifting.

Right hip replacement will be coming this winter and has yet to be scheduled. Was diagnosed in 2018 when soreness started. Surgeon claimed I’d need both replaced eventually. I thought naw it’s a money grab and I’ll work thru it …. and I have till recently. Right hip has been killing me. Time to quit procrastinating. I’m not typically afraid of surgery but having half of my femur sawed off tossed away and replaced with metal isn’t appealing to me at all. Kind of scared of this one. But the positive of it is I’m tired of being in pain and eating ibuprofen like M&M’s. Haven’t been able to train at my typical level.

Once this is all caught up I’ll be one helluva example of an old man surgery recovery and rebuilding. I love life and look forward to that part of these trying times.

If ya’ll are interested in my training recovery I think I’ll probably start a training log after the surgeries and document it here. I’d also deeply appreciate any and all advice thru the coming recovery and weight training.

Lastly, I do not have a Pay Pal and feel bad for having not yet donated to TID. Please advise and thank you all for your time.
Ive had both hips replaced and they do not cut any of your femur off. The surgery is brutal as they make a deep incision to get to the ball joint, then they hang your lower leg off the side of the table and the bottom of your foot goes from facing the floor to facing the ceiling to dislocate the ball from the socket. They do cut off the ball and they do hammer a 6" steel post into your femur and screw a ball on to the end of it. They also put a cup into your hip for the smaller ball to fit into. The first hip I had done the surgeon did major damage to the nerve in my leg and it took me 6 mo. to fully recover. The second hip the surgeon was awesome and I was home the next day walking around with no support. The one thing that really sucks is your squatting days are over unless you want a revision in a couple of years. You can see the surgery on youtube. You may want to wait until after the surgery to watch it.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
It's safe to say most of old-timers have a passion for the gym and that probably bleeds over with other activities and relationships.

We all start and end at the same place. I think God drops you off on day one and then picks you up. On the way skyward he's going to ask you, So what did you do with your time? He's better fly slow because I'm going to have a lot to say.

I think most of us will be able to look back on our lifting career and say that we had a good run. That should make the limping a little more bearable.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic