Remy14
What's New?

Lets talk Investment Vehicles

FLBB89

FLBB89

MuscleHead
May 27, 2013
Well said JR.

As you mentioned, I actually can't pay over $3400 per month or it gets taxed as ordinary income. And that's exactly why I use this - I can't qualify for a Roth Ira.

Jr: what is your opinion on REITs? My financial advisor is suggesting that as a way to diversify but the lack of liquidity scares me.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Real Estate and commodities. Sooner or later inflation will hit and interest rates will rise. Not a bad thing to put money into!

I've also been thinking of ways to invest in the Marijuana industry. Whether it's stock or buying a piece of a new company. I believe most states will eventually all legalize it for medical purposes with states slowly jumping onto the rec using because of cash flow. Colorado is set to make 100 million this year in tax revenue. States can't look the other way with that kinda cash

FLBB89

FLBB89

MuscleHead
May 27, 2013
Real Estate and commodities. Sooner or later inflation will hit and interest rates will rise. Not a bad thing to put money into!

I've also been thinking of ways to invest in the Marijuana industry. Whether it's stock or buying a piece of a new company. I believe most states will eventually all legalize it for medical purposes with states slowly jumping onto the rec using because of cash flow. Colorado is set to make 100 million this year in tax revenue. States can't look the other way with that kinda cash

Dex, I have considerable holdings in every single marijuana penny stock right now. I also believe they will be worth something one day.

A business partner of mine wanted to get an investment group going and pay to send someone to Colorado to farm marijuana.

Personally, I think the big money valuation will help to the marijuana industry when it gets bought out by big tobacco or alcohol. I know that Southern Wine and Spirits has been trying to move in on the marijuana farms but has seen resistance from the mom and pop growers. Eventually, it will happen and the stock values will be a good pay out, IMO.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Life insurance policies other than term can certainly be very useful for wealthy individuals. The tax advantage is the main reason - i.e., "Rich Man's Roth IRA"... :D

If you make a good living above a certain level you're not Roth-eligible. That means you'll eventually have to pay taxes on your retirement plans. But if you invest at least some $ in appropriate life insurance products, you'll get the tax-free appreciation benefit. And you have annual contribution limits with traditional IRA / 401k / SEP plans. Obama even wants to limit the total accumulation amounts of the investments in tax-advantaged plans. :rolleyes:

Another advantage of these products is that they are good ways to transfer wealth to heirs tax-free as well.

If you don't make $200k or more a year, and don't ever see yourself being a multi-millionaire, you can certainly do other things with your money than invest in these products. And if you are or plan to be in the $200k+ a year / multimillionaire club, you probably don't want to have everything in life insurance products, and certainly not all with one company - in the event any company or companies become insolvent.

Disadvantages are that the fees are typically higher than average and that the quality of the investment choices within the products tend to not be so great, much like with variable annuities (another good vehicle for the right person). You are also taking a risk on the insurance company itself anytime you give them $, so it's best to keep these investments with better companies, not put all your eggs in the insurance basket, and spread the insurance $ out among several insurance companies if possible.

Right on the money. There's a lot of tax issues that can make whole life insurance attactive. It is rather complex, however, and I'd recommend you talk with an invenstment advisor, who's not selling insurance to get the staight skinny on whether it makes sense to you.

Just remember, life insurance is a contract. Contracts can be breached, and if the life insurance company goes belly up, you get in line with all its other creditors. Yes, the money is in an account with your name on it, and you can borrow against it, but it's not your money. If that makes any sense.

I think it's best to be diverse, and insurance can be one of the components of your plan. I have a REIT, but it throws off a dividend of only about 5.5%, which I reinvest. When I sold out of my lasts REIT, I made a good appreciation profit, but my present one is still languishing, since real estate is still in recovery mode. Again, for me, it's less than 10% of my total assets.

For most people, they should first max out their 401K, and then think about other things. Most people will enough to retire simply with their 401k.

Hey FLBB89, I've got no problem with people retiring early. Just have a plan on what you want to do at that time. The fastest way to misery and earliy death, is an aimless existence. Find another job that is fun, or some charity work that is meaningful to you, or whatever. Man needs to get out of bed every day with some purpose. IMO. respect.

FLBB89

FLBB89

MuscleHead
May 27, 2013
Hey FLBB89, I've got no problem with people retiring early. Just have a plan on what you want to do at that time. The fastest way to misery and earliy death, is an aimless existence. Find another job that is fun, or some charity work that is meaningful to you, or whatever. Man needs to get out of bed every day with some purpose. IMO. respect.

I dont want to turn this into a philosophical thread but I already basically spend most of my days at Starbucks anyway. lol.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
I've looked at CBIS PHOT and MJNA but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Washinton, Oregon, California, Alaska, New Hampshire, and Maine (I think) are all next to make it legal. I would love to get involved somehow. It's a booming industry and it would be stupid to not get in right now.

FLBB89

FLBB89

MuscleHead
May 27, 2013
I've looked at CBIS PHOT and MJNA but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Washinton, Oregon, California, Alaska, New Hampshire, and Maine (I think) are all next to make it legal. I would love to get involved somehow. It's a booming industry and it would be stupid to not get in right now.

The stocks are basically worth nothing. Just buy a few thousand shares if you can and sit on it. Even if it does nothing, you won't lose much.

K

-KB-

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2010
For most people, they should first max out their 401K, and then think about other things. Most people will enough to retire simply with their 401k.

I'd like to agree with you but as CFO of our company I see how little people defer into their 401(k)'s. The single most important thing about saving for retirement is how much you save. Not your asset allocation, expenses, investment return, etc. People would rather spend their money.

FLBB89

FLBB89

MuscleHead
May 27, 2013
I'd like to agree with you but as CFO of our company I see how little people defer into their 401(k)'s. The single most important thing about saving for retirement is how much you save. Not your asset allocation, expenses, investment return, etc. People would rather spend their money.

Great point. Most people live paycheck to paycheck and have little to no thought of savings let alone investment. Sad reality.

Also, 401k has pros and cons. My company owns more than one business. 401k means matching full time employees (up to a point). To me, that is a con. Another huge con is you can't take money out until age 55. I'm in my 20s. Thats just not liquid enough for my timeline.

K

-KB-

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2010
Great point. Most people live paycheck to paycheck and have little to no thought of savings let alone investment. Sad reality.

Also, 401k has pros and cons. My company owns more than one business. 401k means matching full time employees (up to a point). To me, that is a con. Another huge con is you can't take money out until age 55. I'm in my 20s. Thats just not liquid enough for my timeline.

Then to me you have two buckets of retirement savings. One for age 40 to 55 and then one from 55 on up if there's a 401(k) vehicle (pre-tax or Roth) that would work. There could be some overlap where the first bucket is big enough to help cover you from 55 up.

How many employees do you have?

FLBB89

FLBB89

MuscleHead
May 27, 2013
Then to me you have two buckets of retirement savings. One for age 40 to 55 and then one from 55 on up if there's a 401(k) vehicle (pre-tax or Roth) that would work. There could be some overlap where the first bucket is big enough to help cover you from 55 up.

How many employees do you have?

My income disqualifies me for Roth Ira.

12 employees

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic