Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How long can a cut last???

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
A couple people over at the AM forums said that being on a cut for more than 12 weeks is a bad thing.

I've been on a cutting diet and since November of last year. Got up to 303lbs and felt horrid.

Since then I've lost 60 lbs and have gained substantial strength, but am still sitting at 23% BF, which is unhealthy to say the least.

What scientific reasons could y'all give me to stop what I'm doing???

I've taken two scheduled week-long breaks to avoid overtraining and have lost this weight by intelligent means. No fad diet stories here, no low carb shit, just 500-1000 calorie deficits with a weekly chest meal, rocking 20/40/40 fats/carbs/protein daily. I lift heavy also. Those that follow my log know the deal.

Can my cut last until I'm at a healthy BF percentage or am I hindering myself somehow???

Appreciate all the advice y'all dole out. Love being apart of this community.

18gauge

Feb 3, 2012
i dont believe in that garbage... cut until you are where you want to be. if you are still able to lift heavy, arent losing strength like crazy, and dont just generally feel like shit, keep doing what you are doing. the one thing you might worry about with a sustained calorie deficit is becoming hypothyroid. shouldnt be an issue if you are having the occassional cheat

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
A couple people over at the AM forums said that being on a cut for more than 12 weeks is a bad thing.

I've been on a cutting diet and since November of last year. Got up to 303lbs and felt horrid.

Since then I've lost 60 lbs and have gained substantial strength, but am still sitting at 23% BF, which is unhealthy to say the least.

What scientific reasons could y'all give me to stop what I'm doing???

I've taken two scheduled week-long breaks to avoid overtraining and have lost this weight by intelligent means. No fad diet stories here, no low carb shit, just 500-1000 calorie deficits with a weekly chest meal, rocking 20/40/40 fats/carbs/protein daily. I lift heavy also. Those that follow my log know the deal.

Can my cut last until I'm at a healthy BF percentage or am I hindering myself somehow???

Appreciate all the advice y'all dole out. Love being apart of this community.

Sounds like some broscience... I would ask you some questions to help you come to an answer to their claim:

1. Are you making progress towards your goals?
If yes then Broseph should STFU.

Ok so its only one question... whatever. Keep makin progress brother.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Sounds like some broscience... I would ask you some questions to help you come to an answer to their claim:

1. Are you making progress towards your goals?
If yes then Broseph should STFU.

Ok so its only one question... whatever. Keep makin progress brother.

Hahaha. I feel I'm in the best shape or my life at this very moment and am becoming better daily, so fuck em all.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hahaha. I feel I'm in the best shape or my life at this very moment and am becoming better daily, so fuck em all.

Exactly... And keep your journal updated here. People are checkin in on you and if we see you doing something dumb we generally will let a guy know ;)

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
the one thing you might worry about with a sustained calorie deficit is becoming hypothyroid. shouldnt be an issue if you are having the occassional cheat

Definitely having cheat meals on the regular. At least 1, sometimes 2 a week. Hypothyroid is scary shit though!

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
Just want to point out there is a world of difference betwen cutting to lose weight when you were overweight, and cutting for a contest when you are already low bodyfat. It is generally accepted that when losing large amounts of bodyfat you have to do it for a much longer period of time, and you don't risk the potential adverse sides if you stick to the slow and steady 1-2lbs a week routine and keep your diet macros in a healthy combination. Cutting for a contest is like another world entirely, if you are already at 15% bodyfat and need to get to 5%..you have to eat and train in ways that wouldn't generally be considered "healthy" necessarily. Most try to stick to 1-2lbs of fat a week loss...but to do that as the bodyfat drops it becomes more and more difficult and results in some people doing 2-3 hours in the gym every single day while keeping their calories ridiculously low...this is where you start risking damaging your metabolism...

Just keep your head on straight and train and eat well...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic