Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How far would you go (or have you gone) to get to Nationals & beyond?

C

cagedfreak

Oct 30, 2011
Ok u think crossfit is bigger then bodybuilding? last time I checked there werent people lining up for autographs and pictures at crossfit events bro....u ever been to the arnold? Or the olympia? Or any pro ifbbb show for that matter? Clearly not or u wouldnt have made the idiotic statment about crossfit being bigger then bbing.... how bout the dozens of bodybuilding magazines that fly off the shelves, I guess u dont think we are paid to be featured in those magazines either? Dont know many crossfit athletes gracing the covers of magazines, i guess u think yoga is bigger then bbing also? Im not saying everyone can make a living bbing just like not everyone can make a living fighting, but my point was that supplament companies are growing by the day, and they want and need more athletes to advertise there products, the industry is growing whether u choose to believe it or not is irrelevant....if u get ur pro card today you undoubtubly will get sponsered and ur life will change....it did for me and it happens all the time, to me u sound like a bitter half athlete who never excelled in anything so u think others cant....well I have some truth for u brother just becuz u cant do it doesnt mean others cant, so for u to make a statement to guys giving there heart and soul into something and say "idiots need to give up on pipe dreams" just shows how negative ur attitude is and thats why u will always be an average joe.....but for those who arent satisfied with a life of mediocrity, dont let negative ppl like this dude tell you that u cant do something....if u want it bad enough it will happen

Sure... I'll be eating my words.

I have friends who fight MMA and they still need to work and they fight in the UFC and Bellator. MMA doesn't pay nearly what you think it does. Not to mention you need to pay coaches, gyms, travel, etc.... It's very costly if you plan on actually getting somewhere. In fact they interviewed Chris Leban (sp), one of the original TUF contestants who went on to fight and have a successful career in the UFC and he said he would have been better off becoming a sanitation engineer if he was concerned about making money. Very few actually make the big bucks so many think MMA fighters receive.

Perhaps things have changed in bbing but in terms of media coverage it'll never be as big at MMA or for that matter it'll never be as big as Crossfit. BBing isn't mainstream nor is it "in".

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
What does leaving his family and kids have to do with getting to the Nationals? I don't get this.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Wait what .... I've competed at the Arnold and Olympia . CrossFit is there with plenty of people in line.
La fit expo as well.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ok u think crossfit is bigger then bodybuilding? last time I checked there werent people lining up for autographs and pictures at crossfit events bro....u ever been to the arnold? Or the olympia? Or any pro ifbbb show for that matter? Clearly not or u wouldnt have made the idiotic statment about crossfit being bigger then bbing.... how bout the dozens of bodybuilding magazines that fly off the shelves, I guess u dont think we are paid to be featured in those magazines either? Dont know many crossfit athletes gracing the covers of magazines, i guess u think yoga is bigger then bbing also? Im not saying everyone can make a living bbing just like not everyone can make a living fighting, but my point was that supplament companies are growing by the day, and they want and need more athletes to advertise there products, the industry is growing whether u choose to believe it or not is irrelevant....if u get ur pro card today you undoubtubly will get sponsered and ur life will change....it did for me and it happens all the time, to me u sound like a bitter half athlete who never excelled in anything so u think others cant....well I have some truth for u brother just becuz u cant do it doesnt mean others cant, so for u to make a statement to guys giving there heart and soul into something and say "idiots need to give up on pipe dreams" just shows how negative ur attitude is and thats why u will always be an average joe.....but for those who arent satisfied with a life of mediocrity, dont let negative ppl like this dude tell you that u cant do something....if u want it bad enough it will happen
You should probably calm yourself down... especially since you are wrong. Crossfit has a huge following and people do line up at these events for it.

What on earth are you so butt hurt about anyway?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

Been to the Arnold several times and been to the Olympia once.... I never went to watch BBing. I was there to support friends and family competing.

And yes, Crossfit is larger than BBing. Look at the growth rate. 50k in the stands watching the CF Games. Were there 50k of people to watch the bbers prancing on stage at the Arnold, Olympia, Nationals, the USA's, the Southern States, etc... Ummm. NO. Is BBing on ESPN now? Um... NO. I'm not a fan of Crossfit. If you were actually active on this board you would know that but the facts are the facts. CF is bigger and attracts more people than your sport, more than my sport, and many others.

As for myself, I've competed in several sports and I've done ok. I don't need to flaunt it and I don't get butt hurt by others who may have opinions that differ from mine.

And you need to reread what I wrote.....I never said someone shouldn't strive for more. What I said is someone can achieve much even with a life, career, family, etc which is why I used Mark as an example.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
What does leaving his family and kids have to do with getting to the Nationals? I don't get this.
She asked him not to try to be a super heavy. He's 280lbs at 5'5 right now. He doesn't look like a healthy guy and he's not making the kind of money to sustain the HGH and gear doses without his family going without. That's why it's relevant, because he chose BBing over a wife and two kids under the age of 5.

C

cagedfreak

Oct 30, 2011
I was on my tablet when I typed that....meant to write " u dont see the people who are lining up for autographs at bbing events?" must have made a typo auto correct....i kno crossfit obviously has a following im not retarded, and while crossfit has more people doing it then bodybuilding i dont think the ability to make a living doing it professionally is that probable, there are more people doing crossfit then in the NFL also, but does that make crossfit bigger then football? The answer is no....i have no problem with crossfit I just dont see very many athletes making a living doing it, do you? Maybe im missing something but the last I checked at the arnold expo the crossfit ppl there had full time jobs and werent making a living doing crossfit. I make a living bodybuilding....i was an "idiot with a pipe dream who needs to wake up" when I was struggling to get my pro card that this dude thinks is worthless, and apparently anyone going for there pro card and making sacrifices is an idiot with a pipe dream.....not to mention him saying that bodybuilding isnt mainstream and not "in" & I wouldnt have an income if bodybuilding wasnt growing so yea maybe it was a little personal to me, wasnt trying to point anyones sport down, I respect all athletes at all levels, I was just trying to make a point.

You should probably calm yourself down... especially since you are wrong. Crossfit has a huge following and people do line up at these events for it.

What on earth are you so butt hurt about anyway?

Last edited:
C

cagedfreak

Oct 30, 2011
I reread what u wrote...u said "idiots with pipe dreams need to wake up" & I was one of those idiots struggling for a pro card that u say is worthless, and I make a living in bbing....a sport that u say isnt growing, isnt mainstream, and isnt "in" so yea I took those statements a lil close to home....i reread what u wrote and now I understand the main bulletpoint of ur statement about u can still achieve greatness without sacrificing ur family and I agree with u on that, but the other statements where what "butt hurt" me as u say....but I agree with the main point of ur post after rereading it

Been to the Arnold several times and been to the Olympia once.... I never went to watch BBing. I was there to support friends and family competing.

And yes, Crossfit is larger than BBing. Look at the growth rate. 50k in the stands watching the CF Games. Were there 50k of people to watch the bbers prancing on stage at the Arnold, Olympia, Nationals, the USA's, the Southern States, etc... Ummm. NO. Is BBing on ESPN now? Um... NO. I'm not a fan of Crossfit. If you were actually active on this board you would know that but the facts are the facts. CF is bigger and attracts more people than your sport, more than my sport, and many others.

As for myself, I've competed in several sports and I've done ok. I don't need to flaunt it and I don't get butt hurt by others who may have opinions that differ from mine.

And you need to reread what I wrote.....I never said someone shouldn't strive for more. What I said is someone can achieve much even with a life, career, family, etc which is why I used Mark as an example.

cmeliftheavy

cmeliftheavy

Jan 29, 2011
Bodybuilding is a selfish journey, and when on that journey will sacrifice all. Its difficult to explain and even harder to understand as well as watch occur. These type of stories are pretty common, unforutnetly many will be hurt on this journey. I recall watching documentaries where people sacrificed everything to pursue their dream of making stage. Even in the PL sport there are those that have walked away, separated/divorced to chase the dream.
A few of my mates are on their 3rd and 4th marriage due to the frustration and complications that weigh training causes. Even my mirage has had its difficulties pertaining to the training time. I am one of the few that are blest with a supportive mate that works with me on my time required...

Its a sad situation to here one walks away from the loved ones but there are always deeper issues that may not be relevant to the spectators eye...

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
I reread what u wrote...u said "idiots with pipe dreams need to wake up" & I was one of those idiots struggling for a pro card that u say is worthless, and I make a living in bbing....a sport that u say isnt growing, isnt mainstream, and isnt "in" so yea I took those statements a lil close to home....i reread what u wrote and now I understand the main bulletpoint of ur statement about u can still achieve greatness without sacrificing ur family and I agree with u on that, but the other statements where what "butt hurt" me as u say....but I agree with the main point of ur post after rereading it

Glad to have you on the board "idiot with a pipe dream." It motivates me to know you went against the grain and got your pro card. An IFBB Pro card in bodybuilding is no easy task with how fast the sport is growing, and how many competitors are in the national shows.

S

sabagoy

VIP Member
Jun 2, 2011
This thread does hit home a little...i remember asking myself "Why i bodybuild" and wrote a little something a long time ago.

Why I bodybuild

It’s not for attention or recognition…its not to stand on stage under the lights or to be compared and competing against others… Though the attention and recognition received from others does instill accomplishment and satisfaction… they only see this achievement on a superficial level… with how you have separated yourself from those around you with how you look… they do not see the real results of the commitment, sacrifices and hard work…the internal satisfaction only you can know and feel.

Bodybuilding is my religion and the gym is my church. It’s a never ending pursuit in connecting deeper into yourself and testing yourself…realizing you are so much stronger than you ever thought you could be…able to push yourself further than you ever thought you could…a sense of pride deep inside that no one can understand because only you can feel it, know it and do it. The gym is a place of growth. You leave everything else at the door and get lost in yourself and in the weights…As you are consistently trying to top your best each and every day…you know that your inches turn to feet and dimes turn to dollars. Witnessing how amazing the human body can be and only scratching the surface of its true potential. Shaping the body at will through ways that are only possible by first reshaping your actions and mind. Forcing the body into uncharted territory as if a fight for balance before it accepts a new higher level has been set…

This passion is the purest forms of reflection with what you put in you get out. It’s selfish, not because you must put it before everything else, but because only you genuinely experience the immense gratification that the sacrifices, dedication and determination can bring.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
There's no way I would put my daughter on the back burner for that! To me that's just ridiculous! He is a selfish man IMO, very selfish.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic