Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Hi all glad to be here

T

thatCarHaulerGuy

Nov 10, 2023
Hi! Been interested in weight lifting but never did it except about 8 years ago I was in the Army, and like twice a week we would go to the gym in lieu of PT. And PT was a lot of push ups pull ups running etc. But let me be frank. I recently had a bad experience with my relationship. One that made me wake up and look in the mirror and say.. Fuck you! I hate myself. I'm 6ft.1in, weigh 150lbs. Tired of off hand comments about being skinny. Was 135lbs in the army got picked on a lot. Struggled with depression. Done with it !
I'm not skin and bones Luckily being a car hauler I do a lot of strapping and am a little tone, it's pretty physical but goddammit I wanna fill out the sleeves and chest of my shirt !
That being said.. I don't know where to begin. The nearest gym is like 30 minutes and I work 50 to 72hrs a week night shift I really don't have time to go do that on my 2 days off. However, my dad has a decent bench, bar, and plenty of weights he has said I can have. Picking them up this weekend. So uh, where do I start? I wanna work out 3 days a week to start out as I'm way out of shape and could easily over do it. Besides bench press and curls I really don't know what else I need to do. Or like how often? Pls help and thanks for having for me

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Welcome to TID.

There are so many versions of a correct answer to your training questions that this may take some time. Start off by telling us where you are going to be using that bench, bar, and weights ... apartment, house, garage, basement, out on the patio, where?

Choice of exercises is where you'll get many versions of a correct answer, but for starters, nothing wrong with curls ... but they are not among the top 3, or 5, you should be doing for adding size and strength.

Two versions you may see are Squats, Benchs, and Bentover Rows ... or Squats, Benchs, and Deadlifts.

That gets us to equipment ... and safety. Is your Dad's bench just a bench, or does it have the uprights from which you'll start that 1st rep? What will you do for a "spot" if you get stuck at the bottom? Similar thoughts about the Squat. Nice thing about Rows or Deads is all you need is the Bar, and the floor.

IF you really want to get bigger + stronger, this can be done with just one more piece of equipment:

FOOD, but that's a whole other topic, and that and the rest of your journey might better be taken from this Intro thread to a separate thread you can begin in another Forum here.

T

thatCarHaulerGuy

Nov 10, 2023
Welcome to TID.

There are so many versions of a correct answer to your training questions that this may take some time. Start off by telling us where you are going to be using that bench, bar, and weights ... apartment, house, garage, basement, out on the patio, where?

Choice of exercises is where you'll get many versions of a correct answer, but for starters, nothing wrong with curls ... but they are not among the top 3, or 5, you should be doing for adding size and strength.

Two versions you may see are Squats, Benchs, and Bentover Rows ... or Squats, Benchs, and Deadlifts.

That gets us to equipment ... and safety. Is your Dad's bench just a bench, or does it have the uprights from which you'll start that 1st rep? What will you do for a "spot" if you get stuck at the bottom? Similar thoughts about the Squat. Nice thing about Rows or Deads is all you need is the Bar, and the floor.

IF you really want to get bigger + stronger, this can be done with just one more piece of equipment:

FOOD, but that's a whole other topic, and that and the rest of your journey might better be taken from this Intro thread to a separate thread you can begin in another Forum here.
It's a bench with the uprights. I have a roommate that I could have spot me. And it does have the uprights to start from extended arms, and can flip the Claw thing at top for squats but it's not a rack no side safety things.
And yes I think I need to go to another page not sure where tho I want to know the best exercises to build mass and strength but aesthetics is main goal here don't know if that's bad or not.. food I should be ok on plenty of content online and I will get a supplement shake eventually. Ideally I'm looking for a regiment like someone to tell me day 1 do this this this and day 2 this and 3 this. I looked online but it was kind of overload and I couldn't ask questions. Thanks for input

C

cascadia

Nov 10, 2023
hello everybody,
newbie here joined to be part of of your community. looking to exchange tips about workouts, nutrition and supplements.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Hey, welcome to the forum. What's the coolest car you have ever delivered?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Raw got ya pretty well covered with his suggestions.

Just wanted to welcome you aboard. Was a skinny fuuk myself when I was a teen so I know the feeling.

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
Every morning push ups do amazing things and food food food

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
hello everybody,
newbie here joined to be part of of your community. looking to exchange tips about workouts, nutrition and supplements.
Start your own intro thread brother

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
@thatCarHaulerGuy welcome! Aw man, Raw sure did cover a lot! LOL You are off to a great start with that.
If you are getting a bench and weights from dad, that is a great start! So you can start doing some chest barbell or dumbbell flat bench presses, incorporating some shoulder movements and back movements. Then doing some various bicep curls (standing, sitting, incline). The point is to just start.
Raw did touch on one vital thing though in his epic post: food. To grow muscles, you must feed yourself properly. So on the days you lift be sure to get more proteins in...shoot you should get more in on other days too.

Good luck!

I used to scour the internet and some websites that had people performing various exercises and would just go to gym and mimic them. Then i would adjust where needed. Starting the weights off at a modest # so that i could execute the form in a proper manner. Then would increase the weight, but only if my form was good. Don't want injuries!

Good luck and cant wait to hear how you progress. You can start a progress/log here on the den too in another area.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Welcome to TID:) There are a lot of former military guys here:cool:

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic