Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Hey, what should I do?

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
Hey, I'm 17 years old, 5'9, and 150 pounds. I got into bulking about a half year ago cause I wanted to be bigger and heavier, But now I'm not sure what I'm looking for. From my understanding, bulking is to put on muscle and a little bit of fat to help you get a bigger look, but because of the fat your muscles are less defined. And cutting is to lose weight and put on muscle so you have defined and lean look. Is there a way I can do both? I want to get heavier (at least 170) but still get cut and defined muscles. If I bulk, I'll get heavier but gain no definition. if I cut I'll get the definition I'm looking for but lose weight. I need some advice.

956Vette

956Vette

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2010
Great question, I'm sure you'll receive expert guidance here. Advice from the hip is to enjoy being invincible and focus on adding lean body mass. Getting heavier will ultimately increase your metabolism (it's all about your basal metabolic rate), provided you're going hard during your anerobic exercise (& eating well thereafter). Lift heavy and worry about restricting your diet later. Best of luck!

T

Trip

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
basics basics basics first

mass builders are squats, bench, shouler press and dead lifts

those excercises build ALL muscles

it will establish your basic body type and show u what you got the quickest

then after 3-4 years you can define

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
You are young and have the benefit of newbie gains with a high metabolism and high levels of testosterone. You can probably get away with a little bit of both for a while, but it won't last forever. Maybe 10 lbs of muscle gain without much if any bodyfat then you will have to suck it up and put on a little fat.

Protein, protein, protein. Push it up, 200-250 grams from protein sources. I do not count the protein from rice, vegtables, etc... Keep the fats high enough that you are not suppressing your natural testosterone, so around 75 grams a day. Use the carbs as your tool to gain and lose weight. Remember building muscle takes a lot more time than building fat. If you only see slight gains on the scale, but good gains in the gym you are likely building new tissue and maybe getting a little bit of recomp at the same time. Once the scale stops moving, push the carbs up a little more. It doesn't need to be much. You could either add 50-60 grams a day or have a couple high days where you add 200-300 grams.

T

Trip

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
fwiw like genetic freak says, realistically 7-10 lbs per year of keepable muscle the first 3-4 years is normal male stuff

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
fwiw like genetic freak says, realistically 7-10 lbs per year of keepable muscle the first 3-4 years is normal male stuff
Yep, even for the enhanced, top level guys this is pretty much where it is. Look at the transformation pictures Derek Lunsford posted on IG. The difference in looks is crazy, but when you break it down it was 10 lbs a year over 8 years. I would give both my nuts to gain 10 lbs of muscle a year. I don't need them anymore anyways. Haha.

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
You are young and have the benefit of newbie gains with a high metabolism and high levels of testosterone. You can probably get away with a little bit of both for a while, but it won't last forever. Maybe 10 lbs of muscle gain without much if any bodyfat then you will have to suck it up and put on a little fat.

Protein, protein, protein. Push it up, 200-250 grams from protein sources. I do not count the protein from rice, vegtables, etc... Keep the fats high enough that you are not suppressing your natural testosterone, so around 75 grams a day. Use the carbs as your tool to gain and lose weight. Remember building muscle takes a lot more time than building fat. If you only see slight gains on the scale, but good gains in the gym you are likely building new tissue and maybe getting a little bit of recomp at the same time. Once the scale stops moving, push the carbs up a little more. It doesn't need to be much. You could either add 50-60 grams a day or have a couple high days where you add 200-300 grams.
Alr got it, Thx for the help. I rly appreciate it.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010

This is excellent advice right here. If you follow it and continue your consistent training in the gym, you'll see the results you're looking for. Hitting your target of 170 this year may be a stretch, but a solid 10 pounds of lean mass is achievable, and you'll notice that in the mirror for sure.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Yeah man at your age you still have a ton of growing and filling out to do. I was 17 when I graduated High School. And I was still growing and filling out. Like other guys have said take advantage of the amount of natural hormones you have in your body. Lift, eat, rest.

I feel like for a young guy like yourself perma-bulking to add as much muscle as possible is the way to go. But is your goal to get as strong as possible, putting on as much mass as possible or being shredded up for the beach?

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I still remember having to put on weight for football every year and spending the summer in the gym with a stack of peanut butter sandwiches and a gallon of milk knowing I was going to lose a bunch of weight from double sessions in the heat come late August but also not wanting to feel bloated and shitty at the beach.

In think if your know what your goals are it makes it so much easier. A lot of people want it both ways and that’s hard.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
And working a physical job from 5 am to 3pm six days a week trying to replace all those calories I was burning off. But still going out every night.
Basically doing everything wrong as far as growing…

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
I still remember having to put on weight for football every year and spending the summer in the gym with a stack of peanut butter sandwiches and a gallon of milk knowing I was going to lose a bunch of weight from double sessions in the heat come late August but also not wanting to feel bloated and shitty at the beach.

In think if your know what your goals are it makes it so much easier. A lot of people want it both ways and that’s hard.
Sry misunderstood, my goal is to put on as much mass as possible. I think I'll just stick to bulking for now. Thx again!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic