jacobss
What's New?

flaxseed oil and fish oil

big bx

big bx

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2011
MF

You have a brand you suggest? Been using GNC brand fish oil. Something better? Also a brand for flax?

narcissus79

narcissus79

Oct 17, 2012
Fish oil is superior in most capacities due to the fact that it contains un-conjugated fatty acids. Flax oil is mostly CLA, or Conjugated Linolenic Acid, which the human body does not utilize as efficiently.

Fish oil also comes closer to optimal 3/6/9 ratios.

Actually flax oil is closer to optimal ratios, as fish oil only has 30% omega 3, so it won't help to alter our own omega levels. Many western style diets are over saturated in omega6, which in abundance creates inflammation.

Fish oil has bioactive varieties of omega3 but you need to alter the ratios by utilizing as much flax oil as possible.

All oils should be consumed with food.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
MF

You have a brand you suggest? Been using GNC brand fish oil. Something better? Also a brand for flax?

Well here are two good brands, and although these products have obvious distinct differences either of them would be a good choice:

images
solgar-omega-3-700.jpg

Someone also asked me about cod liver oil as well; Cod liver oil is actually pretty low in omega 3 content so it would not be a suitable option to use as a source omega 3 source. It’s primarily comprised of Vitamin A & D. It’s the DHA and EPA content of omega 3 that you are after (arguably DHA being the more important of the two), and simply put the cod liver oil does not contain them in any significant amounts.

I'm not familiar with brands of flax you have in the States, ideally cold pressed and organic is ideal though.

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
MF - What are your thoughts about Lovaza?

For others Lovaza is a prescription fish oil capsule. Each 1-gram capsule is 38% DHA, 47% EPA, and 17% other fish oils in the form of the ethyl ester.

-IM

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
MF - What are your thoughts about Lovaza?

For others Lovaza is a prescription fish oil capsule. Each 1-gram capsule is 38% DHA, 47% EPA, and 17% other fish oils in the form of the ethyl ester.

-IM
TBH I have never heard of it and know nothing about it. Any chance you could post the breakdown of the oil in mg per capsule? Thanks MF.

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
Best I could find so far: sorry your gonna have to copy and paste I don't have 10 posts yet :/ and do the dot replacing.

wwwDOTgsksourceDOTcom/gskprm/en/US/adirect/gskprm?cmd=ProductDetailPage&product_id=1336506912652&featureKey=603462

-IM

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
the ultimate omega is good stuff

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
the ultimate omega is good stuff
It is, fantastic stuff. All of Nordic Naturals range is damn good (and I don't work for them or Solgar btw)!

Anyone know the what the difference between the two fish oils I posted? :) Normally it matters somewhat but with those two products it doesn't, pro's and cons with each practice as well. There's your clues haha MF.

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
Wow, MF you really got me looking into this Fish Oil stuff now!! I found that the Lovaza has some sides for a fair amount of people it seems. I never even looked into it because it dropped my Tri's from 728 to 300!! So, I was a happy camper. But, I've had some weird nerve/muscle pain for a while now and am seeing some people claiming it was the Lovaza. So, I'm thinking of making the switch for a month to one of the two you mentioned ( leaning to Nordic since it is close to the same dose of the Lovaza ).

I can't find out if Nordic or Solgar is made as an ethyl ester or a natural triglyceride form.

Found this info and it has me wondering and comments would be appreciated.

"Two types of readily available omega three fish oils are ethyl ester and triglyceride
The natural triglyceride form of fish oil should go thru molecular distillation to purify the oils. A typical natural triglyceride form of fish oil will have a concentration of about 180 EPA and 120 DHA. The synthetic ethyl ester version uses ethanol in the distillation and concentration process during transesterification to produce a higher concentration of EPA and DHA. During this process the natural triglyceride backbone is replaced with an ethyl ester backbone. This produces a fairly pure and highly concentrated omega three fish oil. This concentrated form of fish oil can obtain 450 EPA and 300 DHA in one capsule. In order to convert the ethyl ester back to the more natural triglyceride form, one more step of transesterification must be done to replace the ethyl ester based backbone with a triglyceride backbone the way it occurs naturally in ocean fish. Many fish oil companies will not go that extra step due to cost! It is almost 50% more expensive to go through this final step to convert the synthetic ethyl ester fish oil back to more natural triglyceride based fish oil. Almost all of the leading authorities on omega three fish oil will agree that the triglyceride form is more stable and bioavailable over the cheaper synthetic ethyl ester version. Most patients using this triglyceride form of fish oil will have fewer problems with burp back of the nasty fish taste common to some fish oils. Ethanol is a free radical and ethanol can potentially cause free radical damage in the body. The amount of ethanol in this form of fish oil is relatively low (.1%-.5%) but certain groups of populations should be avoiding ethanol completely. You can do a quick test at home to see what type of fish oil you have. If fish oil eats thru a Styrofoam cup in thirty minutes or less, this may be related to the ethanol content. Spend a little extra money and ensure you are getting the most concentrated bioavailable form of fish oil, and take only triglyceride based fish oil. If it doesn't say natural triglyceride or TG form, then it is probably ethyl ester based. Certain European countries like Denmark do not allow the sale of ethyl ester fish oil over the counter, only the triglyceride form. Ethyl ester fish oil in these countries is controlled with prescription. The overall cost per absorption ratio makes the concentrated triglyceride form of fish oil a better value than the ethyl ester version."

Hope that wasn't to much of a read LOL

-IM

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
Well, I was able to find where Nordic Naturals is made with the triglyceride ester. I wasn't able to find out about the Solgar brand Omega 700 MF recommended. Still looking and am wondering if that is the difference he mentioned / asked if anyone knew lol. Having this ester as a triglyceride seems to explain the higher cost of Nordic also. Just a little more info for those taking it and need it. Looks like I'll be picking up some Nordic to give them a try and see if there is a change.

-IM

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic