Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Fitness Ring Options

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Anyone use one? More and more options out there now. Oura seems more reasonably priced, but I don't know if the membership is required or just gives more bells and whistles.

I just need basic metrics, HR, steps... some sleep monitoring for Pox possibly.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
The Mrs recently bought me an Oura ring, membership is about $6/mo for continuing data interpretation. I track my sleep, HRV, SO2. With mild SA it tells me when my breathing is interrupted. I like it, but don't wear it much during the day, just for nighttime data. The Mrs wears hers all the time and tracks everything. My dentist turned me on to it and he's a well read guy in the lit. I recommend it, just the basic ring.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
The Mrs recently bought me an Oura ring, membership is about $6/mo for continuing data interpretation. I track my sleep, HRV, SO2. With mild SA it tells me when my breathing is interrupted. I like it, but don't wear it much during the day, just for nighttime data. The Mrs wears hers all the time and tracks everything. My dentist turned me on to it and he's a well read guy in the lit. I recommend it, just the basic ring.
Thanks Wilson... do you need the membership for more "Fancy" data? I'm mostly interested in pox, steps, etc as I'd be wearing mine regularly. I do like the idea of watching my sleep more.

Yano

Yano

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2022
Thanks man ! , time to hit up the Google n check this out.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
No ring, but I bought some cheap ass fitness watch (Mindrose) off Amazon for $40 that works just as well as the $300 ones. It tracks steps and sleep, can measure BP, HR and Oxygen. You can also set it up to receive your texts, IG, email, etc...

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
No ring, but I bought some cheap ass fitness watch (Mindrose) off Amazon for $40 that works just as well as the $300 ones. It tracks steps and sleep, can measure BP, HR and Oxygen. You can also set it up to receive your texts, IG, email, etc...
oh, that may be pretty good then... Its really more for my days off, trying to get a minimum of 5000 but ideally 10000 steps a days... sitting at a laptop all day doesn't garner alot of steps even with my workout... I've had to add the treadmill at 30 minutes at 2%, 3.5mph does roughly 4000 steps to get to 5000 on those days, but it's annoying carrying my phone everywhere in the house and holding it during the walking.

Last edited by a moderator:
genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
oh, that may be pretty good then... Its really more for my days off, trying to get a minimum of 5000 but ideally 10000 steps a days... sitting at a laptop all day doesn't garner alot of steps even with my workout... I've had to add the treadmill at 30 minutes at 2%, 3.5mph does roughly 4000 steps to get to 5000 on those days, but it's annoying carrying my phone everywhere in the house and holding it during the walking.
One thing I incorporated to increase my step count on training days is I take a lap around the gym between each set. It takes me roughly 45-60 seconds to walk the lap, which is right about how much time you want between warm up sets anyways. Before my working set, I take two laps. This will add about 4000-5000 steps depending on what I am working in the gym. I have started a trend, as I was doing it during contest prep. Now there are half a dozen people in the gym doing the same thing. We look like mall walkers. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
One thing I incorporated to increase my step count on training days is I take a lap around the gym between each set. It takes me roughly 45-60 seconds to walk the lap, which is right about how much time you want between warm up sets anyways. Before my working set, I take two laps. This will add about 4000-5000 steps depending on what I am working in the gym. I have started a trend, as I was doing it during contest prep. Now there are half a dozen people in the gym doing the same thing. We look like mall walkers. Haha.
Even in the ICU we can have SLOOOOOOW days spending half of it shopping on Amazon :D, so then go in the stairways and climb 14 floors, once, but 2-3x my shift.

That's actually very cool G, that means you've garnered their respect, cool.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Thanks Wilson... do you need the membership for more "Fancy" data? I'm mostly interested in pox, steps, etc as I'd be wearing mine regularly. I do like the idea of watching my sleep mo
I think you need the membership for all data, but not sure. Sounds like the Mindrose is the better option for general data and price though. I find the ring hard to wear during the day, finger swells and as much as I use and wash my hands, it bugs me.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
I think you need the membership for all data, but not sure. Sounds like the Mindrose is the better option for general data and price though. I find the ring hard to wear during the day, finger swells and as much as I use and wash my hands, it bugs me.
It did say something about being careful with the sizing, that it's not really 1:1 "regular ring size" to theirs.

Cool, thanks man, yeah, will try the mindrose.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
There are some good options to track that aren’t expensive. I know on my office days I set an alarm to get up and walk for a few minutes ever hour. Otherwise, just working out doesn’t get you anywhere close to the steps you’re looking for. Try for 10,000 steps a day!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic