Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Finally going in for the gallbladder removal...

ccpro

ccpro

Nov 15, 2012
After wearing this drain (tube from my gallbladder exiting my abdomen into a pocket drain) for 3 months, I'm finally scheduled for surgery on Monday. Dr.s have gone in twice before but my GB was too inflamed and had created adhesion to my liver and surrounding parts, the drain was the answer...basically a secondary valve to take the stress off and allow some healing. If too inflamed they'll go "old school" and cut me open which would suck. Anyway, I can't wait to get back to some normalcy....never had this downtime. My weight is still down 30lbs from initial attack so that's a good thing although serious atrophy has occurred. This all started out as outpatient....no such luck! 11 days in the hospital, shit-ton of tests, needles, pulling this tube out multiple times walking by a bush, doorknob, counter top, an excited dog jumping on me and of course jumping out of my truck while on the phone and leaving my drain on the seat only to have the closed door remind me...I'm ready!

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Happy for you! Out of curiosity what were your initial symptoms?

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Wow…. I mean, I see that kind of stuff at work but still, I can’t imagine what that’d be like… I don’t have much to add but I hope they can do it with the laparoscope man, god speed.

ccpro

ccpro

Nov 15, 2012
Happy for you! Out of curiosity what were your initial symptoms?
Past twenty years I just thought I had a sensitive stomach...greasy, buttery foods like pork or chicken wings would make me nauseas next day. I used to throw up alot after a tasty night of eating. Finally had full blown attack and was in fetal position for 6 hrs, felt like bad gas. ER was inevitable and I don't go easy. I've since learned they can test your gallbladder. If you think you have issues ask your doc, mine just said well don't eat that.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Dam. So other than no more gallbladder attacks, will anything else improve after surgery? If I understand right, you have to avoid fats and oils when it’s removed also don’t you? Or do they have a fix for that nowadays? My mom had hers removed like 40 years ago. And actually she eats whatever she wants now that I think about it. Lol. Maybe she take’s something. I would think digestive enzymes would help. What’s the post op protocol? Hopefully it improves your digestion overall and leads to more gains in the gym! And hope all goes well with surgery brother! Good luck!

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
@Kluso for my mind going-While this isn’t of much help for you now, I’d like to mention for others, one of the BEST supplements you can take for your liver and gallbladder (they work in tandem with each other) and
CHEAP: Choline bitartrate helps prevent gallstones… get the powder, couple grams a day for Pennies

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Past twenty years I just thought I had a sensitive stomach...greasy, buttery foods like pork or chicken wings would make me nauseas next day. I used to throw up alot after a tasty night of eating. Finally had full blown attack and was in fetal position for 6 hrs, felt like bad gas. ER was inevitable and I don't go easy. I've since learned they can test your gallbladder. If you think you have issues ask your doc, mine just said well don't eat that.

I had mine taken out in 2016. BEST thing I ever did, as I was getting frequent attacks toward the end. I was averaging 3-5 attacks per year for about 4'ish years. I was having 3-4 per months the last couple of months prior to surgery. Of course, 90% of the time it hits you (well, me) in the middle of the night, which would last for many hours. I'd take a couple Vicodin, and it would subside after 1-2 hours...so I always had those on hand. A lot of those times, I would have to call in to work because I was so drained and tired from the night prior.

They always need to do ultrasounds to see if there are stones present. If none at detected, they send you in to do a HIDA scan, which they give yuou cholecystokinin form it to trigger a response from the gall bladder to how the ejection fraction is. I think the limit is somewhere around 30'ish percent, mine was low 20's.

I didn't have any stones or sludge, it just wasn't functioning right. They never know exactly what to expect when they go in for the surgery. They try to do it laproscopically, buyt if there is too much inflammation or whatever else, they will have to do the old procedure and do like a 3-5" incision. A laproscopic procedure is great because you are out same day quickly. If they have to do an incision, they hold you for 3 days.

Good luck, you will feel much better afterward. The surgeon was so mad that my regular clinic doctors kept putting it off and not forwarding a referral. I hardly ever have any digestive issues at all. I feel so much better. There may be a transitional period directly post-surgery for a few weeks or months, but it will get easier and better....at least for a lot of people.

If you are not sure how chile or fatty foods will effect you....just stay safe and eat them at home where a toilet it near, lol.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Dam. So other than no more gallbladder attacks, will anything else improve after surgery? If I understand right, you have to avoid fats and oils when it’s removed also don’t you? Or do they have a fix for that nowadays? My mom had hers removed like 40 years ago. And actually she eats whatever she wants now that I think about it. Lol. Maybe she take’s something. I would think digestive enzymes would help. What’s the post op protocol? Hopefully it improves your digestion overall and leads to more gains in the gym! And hope all goes well with surgery brother! Good luck!
Fats, oils and spicey foods. At least that is what my wife has to avoid since having hers taken out. Really sucks, because I am pretty much Cajun and spice up everything I cook. Pretty much have to cook two different meals.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
After wearing this drain (tube from my gallbladder exiting my abdomen into a pocket drain) for 3 months, I'm finally scheduled for surgery on Monday. Dr.s have gone in twice before but my GB was too inflamed and had created adhesion to my liver and surrounding parts, the drain was the answer...basically a secondary valve to take the stress off and allow some healing. If too inflamed they'll go "old school" and cut me open which would suck. Anyway, I can't wait to get back to some normalcy....never had this downtime. My weight is still down 30lbs from initial attack so that's a good thing although serious atrophy has occurred. This all started out as outpatient....no such luck! 11 days in the hospital, shit-ton of tests, needles, pulling this tube out multiple times walking by a bush, doorknob, counter top, an excited dog jumping on me and of course jumping out of my truck while on the phone and leaving my drain on the seat only to have the closed door remind me...I'm ready!
Good luck! Had mine removed a few years back, never had any problems again.

ccpro

ccpro

Nov 15, 2012
Good questions...from what I learned about my body...yes low fat, low grease, no processed anything, little white flour basically less than 65 grams of fat a day which is pretty easy. Other than being on a caloric deficit and now eating more, I just avoid the fatty stuff. Ironically, I no longer take nexium for heartburn and I can tolerate lactose in measurable quantities...I'm actually learning alot but everybody is different. I've spoke to many people who've had the GB removed and never missed a beat...I don't think that is me. I'm already on lowfat diet in preparation for surgery so I hope I'm getting a leg up. I've maintained the 35lbs loss however I lost quite a bit of muscle everywhere but I'm confidant in muscle memory. I'll keep you updated. BTW, I asked my surgeon it TRT was a problem and he said absolutely not.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
@Kluso for my mind going-While this isn’t of much help for you now, I’d like to mention for others, one of the BEST supplements you can take for your liver and gallbladder (they work in tandem with each other) and
CHEAP: Choline bitartrate helps prevent gallstones… get the powder, couple grams a day for Pennies
What helps for spleen stones?

ccpro

ccpro

Nov 15, 2012
I had mine taken out in 2016. BEST thing I ever did, as I was getting frequent attacks toward the end. I was averaging 3-5 attacks per year for about 4'ish years. I was having 3-4 per months the last couple of months prior to surgery. Of course, 90% of the time it hits you (well, me) in the middle of the night, which would last for many hours. I'd take a couple Vicodin, and it would subside after 1-2 hours...so I always had those on hand. A lot of those times, I would have to call in to work because I was so drained and tired from the night prior.

They always need to do ultrasounds to see if there are stones present. If none at detected, they send you in to do a HIDA scan, which they give yuou cholecystokinin form it to trigger a response from the gall bladder to how the ejection fraction is. I think the limit is somewhere around 30'ish percent, mine was low 20's.

I didn't have any stones or sludge, it just wasn't functioning right. They never know exactly what to expect when they go in for the surgery. They try to do it laproscopically, but if there is too much inflammation or whatever else, they will have to do the old procedure and do like a 3-5" incision. A laproscopic procedure is great because you are out same day quickly. If they have to do an incision, they hold you for 3 days.

Good luck, you will feel much better afterward. The surgeon was so mad that my regular clinic doctors kept putting it off and not forwarding a referral. I hardly ever have any digestive issues at all. I feel so much better. There may be a transitional period directly post-surgery for a few weeks or months, but it will get easier and better....at least for a lot of people.

If you are not sure how chile or fatty foods will effect you....just stay safe and eat them at home where a toilet it near, lol.
I can't really add anything...you nailed what I've been going through. What sucks is they can't tell me if inflammation has gone down until they go in laproscopicly, so old school cut you up and down is a big concern of mine. Either way it has to come out and it will be a "reboot" to my aging lifestyle of sex, drugs, and rocknroll....or just eating better. lol. Love me some chili... Any yes my diagnosis is acute cholitis...I think?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic