jacobss
What's New?

Ferguson verdict

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Use of Force Continuum:

1. Officer/Offender Presence (call for backup)

2. Verbal Commands

3. Empty soft hand (grab ahold)

4. Empty hard hand (fight is on)

5. Intermediate Weapons (nightsticks, batons, mace, beer bottles, whatever is available)

6. Deadly Force

As I understand it these are not hard and fast rules, only guidelines. But the officer is generally supposed to match the level of force (or threat) is he is receiving from the offender, or at most go only one level higher than the force (or threat) he is receiving from the offender. And of course he is supposed to back off immediately once the offender stops resisting.

I did not post this because I think Officer Wilson was wrong. To the contrary I think that if you are dumb enough to initiate a fist fight with a guy who is openly carrying a handgun then you get what you get--which is usually dead.

No, the reason that I am posting it because the cops also use it to determine the reasonableness of force used in self-defense situations by ordinary citizens. So if you are ever in a bar fight and wind up winning it decisively, the cops and prosecutor will likely use a similar continuum to decide whether or not the amount of force you used to defend yourself was reasonable under the circumstances, even if you can clearly prove the other guy was the initial aggressor.

Of course cops have a tendency to apply the standard a bit more strictly to ordinary citizens than they do to themselves. They let themselves go a step (or two) higher than they are receiving. They do not always grant that grace to ordinary citizens.

Except for Texas, which sounds like my kind of state for sure!

Last edited:
DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
Think about it this way.
The officer might have had 3 force optoins.
1. Taser/stun gun
2. Maze/pepper spray.
3. Gun.

the taser is a singel shot, the maze is a spray that may not work well. Even if it works Brown could still get his hands on Wilson.
The gun is a multi shot weapon with better stopping power then the above.

now think about it this way.
you have 6'4" 290lbs guy thats running towards you.
if he gets his hands on you, you might get seriously injured or even dead.
You have a split second to handle this.
Do you pull the taser, hoping you will hit? If you miss you are ****ed. No chance to get the gun before he is on you.
Do you use the maze hoping he will respond enough to stop him?
Any of those is a single shot chance, you miss or lack of response you are ****ed. Perhaps dead.

or do you use the gun?
Multiple shot, multiple time to fail but still stay in the fight.
Known man stopper.

If you think he could have tried the maze or taser first then transition to gun, you are wrong.
I have done drills where we start at the same time. One guy pulling firearm other guy starts running.
At 21 feet distance I can get you every single time, you might fire at the time I reach you but I got my hands on you at full speed.

Wilson did the right thing. Brown could have stopped but decided to attack a guy with a gun.
Didnt even stop when he got shot the first few times.

In the state of Texas you can shot a guy that advances on you if you have pulled your weapon.
Does not matter if he is armed or not.

Brown got what was coming to him. You dont run towards the guy with a gun after you attack him.

I am still not sure what they are protesting about.

People aren't putting themselves in the cops position and thinking about this realistically. It's so much easier to Monday morning quarter back it, some people just don't get it and they never will. The others aren't protesting because they are basing their decisions on facts, they are protesting because all they see is black guy killed by white cop.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Doesnt matter if you are wrong or not.
You dont fight the officer at the side of the road.
You can't win, its that simple.
You take it to court and you fight it there.

People dont get shot when they follow orders (yes, there are expections).
But this isnt that complicated. Follow orders and you will be on your way or arrested but you will not be dead.

I never said to fight the officer in my post. I was under the impression the member I quoted was interpreting a police stop as automatic proof of guilt. As I said in the follow up post to Raiden, I will be cordial with police until they give me reason otherwise. I do not follow a policeman's orders just bc they have a badge and gun. If it's a reasonable request I have no problem complying with them. If I deem it unreasonable I will not comply.

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
Good move. He would be killed. I heard he is filing a civil case and married his girl so if he wins there can't be anything filed on him and the money he makes can't be touched. Wrongful death or something.

on top of that. I'm sure he'll write a book and make a few bucks.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I never said to fight the officer in my post. I was under the impression the member I quoted was interpreting a police stop as automatic proof of guilt. As I said in the follow up post to Raiden, I will be cordial with police until they give me reason otherwise. I do not follow a policeman's orders just bc they have a badge and gun. If it's a reasonable request I have no problem complying with them. If I deem it unreasonable I will not comply.

That is a brave and honorable position to take. A possible problem with it is that once you refuse to comply and things go to shit after the cop calls for backup witnesses, the cop and his backups are the ones who get to write the official reports about what happened, which may have little resemblance to the truth. Meanwhile your brave and honorable self may well be lying in a jail cell, hospital room or morgue.

Your life is worth more than to throw it away for the sake of proving you are right to a cop that doesn't care anyway. It is utterly humiliating to comply with an unjust command. But sometimes eating the humiliation is the most reasonable thing you can do. If not for yourself then at least for the people who love you.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
The old use of force continuum I remember was, gerbil judo, spray, asp, taze, deadly force. I have seen everything on that list fail except use deadly force. I've seen a guy take 3 different Taser shots at the same time, spray is commonly ineffective.
As for those that don't want to comply, you can be found not guilty on every charge but still be found guilty on resisting arrest, even if the arrest was not lawful. And if you get a good thumping while resisting, you lose all chance of getting a paycheck if you are found guilty of resisting.
It's my understanding Wilson did not have a Taser.

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
1bigun11;362666 Meanwhile your brave and honorable self may well be lying in a jail cell said:
Exactly. This is what i was trying to get across in an earlier post. Suck it up and be done wih the cop as quick as possible,right or wrong. Damn sure aint worth my life confronting a cop in a physical altercation.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
on top of that. I'm sure he'll write a book and make a few bucks.

Yes that seems to be the trend and especially the last 10-15 years. Talk shows etc. Oprah will prolly want to site down with him. Its crazy how these people in general can make all this money off of there bull shit. Its the peoples fault though. Don't buy the books and stuff. Americans love drama.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
how is it looking over there today Paul?

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
how is it looking over there today Paul?

Not really a whole lot going on which is good. I thought they would start back up again with the bad stuff but they haven't. Went to a rams game yesterday and things were cool.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic