jacobss
What's New?

Effects of non-nutritive sweetened beverages versus water

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011

Effects of non-nutritive sweetened beverages versus water after a 12-week weight-loss program: A randomized controlled trial​

Joanne A. Harrold, Scott Hill, Cristina Radu, Paul Thomas, Paula Thorp, Charlotte A. Hardman, Paul Christiansen, Jason C. G. Halford
First published: 21 July 2023, https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.23796

Abstract​

Objective​

The aim of this study was to compare non-nutritive sweetened (NNS) beverages versus water for weight loss after a 12-week behavioral weight-management program.

Methods​

This is an ongoing, 2-year, parallel-group, open-label, controlled equivalence trial; week-12 data are reported. Adults with BMI of 27 to 35 kg/m2 who regularly drank cold beverages were randomized 1:1 to intention-to-treat water or NNS beverages while undergoing a weekly 12-week group behavioral weight-management program. Weight change to week 12 was the primary end point (equivalence: two-sided p > 0.05); changes in waist and hip circumference, blood pressure, glycemic control markers, fasting lipid profiles, liver function tests, hunger (visual analog scale), sugar and sweetener consumption, and activity levels were secondary end points.

Results​

Overall, 493 participants were randomized (water: n = 246; NNS beverages: n = 247); 24.1% were NNS beverage naïve. Weight change was equivalent with water versus NNS beverages (−5.6 vs. −5.8 kg; difference [90% CI]: −0.2 kg [−0.7 to 0.4]). There were no significant differences between groups for secondary end points except reductions in waist circumference (greater with NNS beverages vs. water), glycated hemoglobin, and consumption of any type of sweetener (both greater with water vs. NNS beverages).

Conclusions​

Weight loss was equivalent with NNS beverages and water following a 12-week behavioral weight-management program.

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
For those wondering....

Non-Nutritive Sweeteners (Artificial Sweeteners)​

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I still stay away from that shit as much as possible. At best it is fairly benign, at worst it is terrible for you. Also I think some people metabolize it differently. Many studies show it raises blood sugar levels in some of the populace even though zero carbs. I do imbibe in a diet beverage from time to time but not often. IMO better to eat real foods.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I'm being pretty dense this morning is that study saying that artificial sweeteners and water have basically the same effect on weight loss??

I don't drink a lot of artificial sweeteners every once in awhile I have a soda but I've cut out the fake sweeteners and just used real sugar because it tastes better and I can account for one can of soda a couple of times a month

I'm reading more and more studies talking about NutraSweet and other artificial sweeteners make people gain weight. I don't really care either way because I try not to put fake things on my body and I think overall healthwise whether it's weight gain or loss using water versus artificial sweeteners I can't see how putting chemicals in your body can be good for you at all cutting out the weight issue.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I'm being pretty dense this morning is that study saying that artificial sweeteners and water have basically the same effect on weight loss??

I don't drink a lot of artificial sweeteners every once in awhile I have a soda but I've cut out the fake sweeteners and just used real sugar because it tastes better and I can account for one can of soda a couple of times a month

I'm reading more and more studies talking about NutraSweet and other artificial sweeteners make people gain weight. I don't really care either way because I try not to put fake things on my body and I think overall healthwise whether it's weight gain or loss using water versus artificial sweeteners I can't see how putting chemicals in your body can be good for you at all cutting out the weight issue.
The weight gain is a second order effect. The artificial sweetener by itself, has no impact on the accumulation of bodyfat. However, what artificial sweeteners do is increase carb cravings, so most people who have poor diet adherence that drink water with artificial sweeteners get fatter due to eating more carbs.

There are a lot of competitors, me included, who use artificial sweeteners in water all the way up to the contest and still get lean as hell. It just takes discipline. When ghrelin starts to get the better of me, I will drop the artificial sweeteners for the rest of the day and just pound straight water and it usually helps.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic