Latest Member
jacobss

Drying Out for a Show

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
I get the concept, wanna remove all water so that more muscle definition can be seen.

But how TF do these pros get that dry? Shit man, i'm seeing them dry AF, and i just don't get it. I know some use diuretics', i get that too. Their conditioning just must be insane to get that dry. I dunno.....
I'm just a lil old amateur trying to dry out for a show, started Expel today.
I don't see how i can get dry by Saturday, but my coach knows what he is doing.

One change he did make me do this week is to start doubling up on the Nolvedex this week. We never did that before.

I need to stop looking at these pro's and then look at me LOL. I hope to get there ONE day.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
It's drug. It also doesn't' matter how dry you are if there's nothing under that paper skin.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Are you doing a water or sodium loading protocol? Using a potassium sparing diuretic? Creatine?

It's more about sucking the water out of your skin, and sucking it into the muscle, than it is about just losing water. You will lose lots of water with a loop diuretic (Lasix) but the water will draw from inside the muscle too.

What does your coach have you doing, Bova?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Are you doing a water or sodium loading protocol? Using a potassium sparing diuretic? Creatine?

It's more about sucking the water out of your skin, and sucking it into the muscle, than it is about just losing water. You will lose lots of water with a loop diuretic (Lasix) but the water will draw from inside the muscle too.

What does your coach have you doing, Bova?

Yes, water loading, 1.5 gals per day Mon-THurs. On Fri, he wants me to have 1 gal into me by noon, then just sips after.
Potassium, yes, salting everything.
I use creatine in my intra workout drink so having that these next couple of days. Fri is off from all cardio/lifting.
Doing expel this week, not sure if that is a loop diuretic or what.

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
It is the same as training and diet, what works for one, person does not necessarily mean it is going to work for another person.

First thing though is to make sure there is almost zero fat under that skin. If you look at the ones that are or have been in condition for a few months now (prior to Olympia) in both males and females, those are the ones that do not use or need to use diuretics. Like WP Anne Mohn and Men's John Jewett and even Iain Valliere at times. Simple water & salt manipulation works for them and makes it easier to carb up, you need water to activate the carbs. Heck, John was drinking 10 oz of water with meals and 40 in between right up to the Atlanta show and was grainy as hell.
Me, I take a sip of water or coffee and I'm f-ed unless I'm 100% on and taking dandelion root and if I absolutely have to a mild diuretic.

What competition are you doing this weekend? I'm doing Legion Sports Fest pro masters Saturday & pro open Sunday. When I land Thursday I'll probably take 1/2 and aldactone just due to the water I'll hold from flying, then once I get checked in the hotel and get what I need from the store (things I can't fly with because I'm only bringing carry-on, so egg whites and shit like that, will have all my meals with me except those things) then I'll head to do an hour of cardio hitting it hard to flush what I can too. I'll stop before bed Thursday night and just drink sips that I need for carb-up on Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
It is the same as training and diet, what works for one, person does not necessarily mean it is going to work for another person.

First thing though is to make sure there is almost zero fat under that skin. If you look at the ones that are or have been in condition for a few months now (prior to Olympia) in both males and females, those are the ones that do not use or need to use diuretics. Like WP Anne Mohn and Men's John Jewett and even Iain Valliere at times. Simple water & salt manipulation works for them and makes it easier to carb up, you need water to activate the carbs. Heck, John was drinking 10 oz of water with meals and 40 in between right up to the Atlanta show and was grainy as hell.
Me, I take a sip of water or coffee and I'm f-ed unless I'm 100% on and taking dandelion root and if I absolutely have to a mild diuretic.

What competition are you doing this weekend? I'm doing Legion Sports Fest pro masters Saturday & pro open Sunday. When I land Thursday I'll probably take 1/2 and aldactone just due to the water I'll hold from flying, then once I get checked in the hotel and get what I need from the store (things I can't fly with because I'm only bringing carry-on, so egg whites and shit like that, will have all my meals with me except those things) then I'll head to do an hour of cardio hitting it hard to flush what I can too. I'll stop before bed Thursday night and just drink sips that I need for carb-up on Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

Yes, you are right about low body fat, i get that as well. Its even harder on women lol to get low bf

Good luck this weekend @Friggemall ! Yea flying to a show is a whole other ball game and water lol.
I'm doing the KY Bluegrass NPC, in louisville KY. Its a new show this year, put on by Gary Udit.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Want to be careful not to step on a coaches toes, you do have to trust him... Scott stevenson has a neat trick of sleeping at a slight slant with your feet above your head to stimulate more urine output....

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Want to be careful not to step on a coaches toes, you do have to trust him... Scott stevenson has a neat trick of sleeping at a slight slant with your feet above your head to stimulate more urine output....

I used this technique for my last contest and it works extremely well. I use an Ozark Trail Folding Cot, Mainstays Home Bed Extenders and 4 pieces of 2x4. The bed extenders come in a 4 pack, so just stack them so you have 2 pedestals for the foot. This will give you the correct foot height to achieve the 6 degree angle. If you take 2 2x4 blocks and stack them they are the perfect height for the center support. Then I just tape the pedestals to the foot, so the cot does not slide off. The angle is not bad enough to cause a headache or head rush. I guess if your BP was really high then it might, but I was fine and I have loaned it to some powerlifters who had to make weight and they didn't have any issues.

Anyways, doing this along with some water manipulation and the following diuretics: two shots of crown the night prior and 3 grams of vitamin C to start then 1 gram every 2 hours the day prior up until I cut off water, Weigh in was at 5 pm Friday and I woke up Saturday morning 13.1 lbs lighter. The lighter than my trial runs without the hold down tilt technique by 4 lbs.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I used this technique for my last contest and it works extremely well. I use an Ozark Trail Folding Cot, Mainstays Home Bed Extenders and 4 pieces of 2x4. The bed extenders come in a 4 pack, so just stack them so you have 2 pedestals for the foot. This will give you the correct foot height to achieve the 6 degree angle. If you take 2 2x4 blocks and stack them they are the perfect height for the center support. Then I just tape the pedestals to the foot, so the cot does not slide off. The angle is not bad enough to cause a headache or head rush. I guess if your BP was really high then it might, but I was fine and I have loaned it to some powerlifters who had to make weight and they didn't have any issues.

Anyways, doing this along with some water manipulation and the following diuretics: two shots of crown the night prior and 3 grams of vitamin C to start then 1 gram every 2 hours the day prior up until I cut off water, Weigh in was at 5 pm Friday and I woke up Saturday morning 13.1 lbs lighter. The lighter than my trial runs without the hold down tilt technique by 4 lbs.
My understanding with the Vitamin C as a diuretic is that since it is water soluble, once you reach a saturation point of it in your body, if you keep adding more and more Vitamin C, your body will want to get rid of the excess and will start pulling water (which is now holding the excess Vit C as well) so you can piss out and eliminate the excess Vit C. And all that pissing to get rid of the Vit C is how Vit C works as a diuretic.

Is that your experience how it works?

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
My understanding with the Vitamin C as a diuretic is that since it is water soluble, once you reach a saturation point of it in your body, if you keep adding more and more Vitamin C, your body will want to get rid of the excess and will start pulling water (which is now holding the excess Vit C as well) so you can piss out and eliminate the excess Vit C. And all that pissing to get rid of the Vit C is how Vit C works as a diuretic.

Is that your experience how it works?
Yes

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
Yes, you are right about low body fat, i get that as well. Its even harder on women lol to get low bf

Good luck this weekend @Friggemall ! Yea flying to a show is a whole other ball game and water lol.
I'm doing the KY Bluegrass NPC, in louisville KY. Its a new show this year, put on by Gary Udit.
Yes! Women and bf is a struggle. It amazes me how Sara and Anne can get so crazy shredded and hold it for months. Anne has been ripped since she won the Arnold Europe in February. (Anne is my wife's coach and my wife has the same issue as you . She can get shredded and deep cuts everywhere but cannot get striation in her gluts for nothing. We are really trying to get her there for the Olympia Amateur in 3-1/2 weeks.
Good luck to you as well! I know a few people competing there, dadbod82's wife is I believe in WP & figure and her coach is doing MP & Classic, (was my first coach a few years ago), Michelle Prater is doing WP and I believe her son Chance Gates (with downs syndrome) is doing BB. Sounds like it will be a good show. Enjoy, best of luck and have a great time!! I'll look for the results next week or on IG. LFG!!!

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I was listening to Dr. Todd Lee and Dr. Mike Israetel in the gym today, so I am not sure which one mentioned it, but they said newer fat cells hold a lot less water than older fat cells. The idea was the more often you reach contest condition the less of the older fat cells you will have and the better you will look on stage, so if you competed each year for 5 years, had the same amount of muscle for each show and your bodyfat was 4% for each show, you would still look better each show due to holding less water.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic