Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Drone delivery

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Amazon dot com is working on a drone delivery service to get ur Goods to you... Imagine the possibilities.. Live tracking and conformation, supper fast delivery...I'd like to have my own personnel drone one day lol...

http://techland.time.com/2013/12/01/amazon-bezos-drones/

Amazon’s Jeff Bezos Reveals Drone Delivery System
Unmanned delivery aircraft could be ready within five years

By Alex Fitzpatrick and Courtney Subramanian Dec. 01, 2013Add a Comment
ShareRead Later
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos revealed an experimental drone-based delivery service in a 60 Minutes segment Sunday. Bezos said the service, dubbed “Amazon Prime Air,” could be ready for customer use in “four or five years.”

“I know this looks like science fiction, it’s not,” said Bezos, before adding that “this is early, this is still years away.”

Bezos said the drone aircraft can carry objects of up to 5lbs within a 10-mile radius of an Amazon distribution center. Given that Amazon has been steadily building distribution centers in an increasing number of urban areas, the service would theoretically cover a significant number of customers.

The craft are autonomous, per Bezos: An Amazon employee would enter a delivery recipients’ GPS address and away the aircraft would fly.

“The hard part here is putting in all the redundancy,” Bezos told interviewer Charlie Rose. “All the reliability to say this can’t land on somebody’s head.”

Amazon’s drone delivery service will also have to comply with the Federal Aviation Administration’s new airspace rules for unmanned aircraft, which the agency is planning to have in place by 2015.

After the 60 Minutes segment aired, Amazon shared this footage showing the system in use:

In preview segments, Bezos promised “something he wanted to unveil for the first time,” leading people on Twitter to speculate that it could be an Amazon television. Others joked that perhaps Bezos would buy CBS (he stunned the media world when it was announced in August that he had bought the Washington Post for $250 million). At least one guesser hit the nail exactly on the head:

Popeye50

Popeye50

Nov 5, 2012
I just saw that too...but, there are so many problems that could arise...from hoodlums shootin/hitting them down to steal packages...crashing into home/property, malfunctions causing vehicle accidents or crashing on to an unsuspecting child playing outside...the list goes on and on...No way is that gonna happen

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Ya if there weren't issues like you mentioned we would already be using them for commercial use... But drones have been around and in use for some time now and the technology is here..
I think theft would be the biggest issue but remember behind the controls is a live person operating it and will report any attack and even be able to follow the attacker and record the whole thing... Who wants to be followed by a drone while le is hot on there tail? Not to mention theft is already a issue within the delivery business this might actually be an improvement.. As far as liability these are not ur average remote control helicopter you buy at the mall for 29.95 I'm sure they will be the same grade as what the military uses... In fact if a real plane failed the damage and liability would be much greater than if a drone failed with a total weight of prolly around ten pounds...well just have to wait and see what happens... I guess there running trials all month...

Cosmokramer

Cosmokramer

MuscleHead
May 6, 2013
That would be awesome a drone delivering juice and pins...lol..haha

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
How long before a hacker gets hold of their signal and takes over the delivery of the package? I've often thought this about the drones the military use, it's only a matter of time before a hacker figures something out and takes over control of the remote controlled vehicle.

Cosmokramer

Cosmokramer

MuscleHead
May 6, 2013
How long before a hacker gets hold of their signal and takes over the delivery of the package? I've often thought this about the drones the military use, it's only a matter of time before a hacker figures something out and takes over control of the remote controlled vehicle.

Or crashes into your house or someone killing them..lol..just imagine..or just for fun you could shoot them out of the sky..lol

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
They were using drones since the Vietnam war, I read documents when I was in the Service referencing them.
This would be like science fiction for Amazon...lol

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Ya if there weren't issues like you mentioned we would already be using them for commercial use... But drones have been around and in use for some time now and the technology is here..
I think theft would be the biggest issue but remember behind the controls is a live person operating it and will report any attack and even be able to follow the attacker and record the whole thing... Who wants to be followed by a drone while le is hot on there tail? Not to mention theft is already a issue within the delivery business this might actually be an improvement.. As far as liability these are not ur average remote control helicopter you buy at the mall for 29.95 I'm sure they will be the same grade as what the military uses... In fact if a real plane failed the damage and liability would be much greater than if a drone failed with a total weight of prolly around ten pounds...well just have to wait and see what happens... I guess there running trials all month...

There will be no live person operating the drones if they are running autonomous as it reads in the first post.
"The craft are autonomous, per Bezos: An Amazon employee would enter a delivery recipients’ GPS address and away the aircraft would fly."

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Yes I caught that last night while rereading it... But I'm sure it will be supervised, maybe not individually but if a problem arises you would think they have a plan B... Look folks I'm on ur side lol I'm the skeptical type also and like to find the weak links but for every problem there is a solution! And my concern prolly would focus not on the delivery business but once we're all comfy with these things flying all over delivering us pizzas in 15 mins during rush hour traffic is when they start using drones to patrol the airways and monitor everyone.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic