Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Do you train to failure?

B

-BRI-

Oct 8, 2010
Based on the science we have training to failure is optimal for hypertrophy. The thing is I rarely see most pros train to failure. Didn't dorian train to failure on just about every set?
Personally I have always made my best size gains in the 12-20 rep range. My best strength gains in the 6-8 rep range. Then again if you look at Olympic lifters they have huge huge quads, spinal erectors, and often very well developed traps and delts but rarely do more than 3-5 reps during their training.

I also find it hard to believe training a muscle once per week is really optimal especially for small bodyparts like biceps,calves etc which often recover in 24-48 hours.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I will go to positive failure pretty often, in fact I do the majority of the time. I'm usually in the 6-12 rep range.

I do a 4 day split & as long as I hit everything once per week I'm good BUT if I can get an extra day or two in I will by just continuing with the rotation. You have to remember those small muscle are working indirectly when you are working the bigger muscle groups (tris are getting hit pretty hard on chest day & bis on back day).

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
I haven't in a bit but used to always train to complete failure every set. Always see better results when I do.

F

FlipDigler

Dec 6, 2016
I get nice and warm, pick a rep range for that day, then fail at every set, a set without failure is a wasted set since you asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Do I train till failure.... no. Albeit I'm a PLer and training in that fashion will not help my lifts.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
No, it's not neccessary and not efficient. Research, the gym and life support that. I am not saying that one shouldn't rather that it is not needed. Simply train hard and to within a rep or two of failure is what is required to stimulate growth. Doing another set or adding another session is far more effective. Problem is most folks can't hold their egos in check. Unfortanely, life does not support that thinking.

If some fat slob like myself wanted to run a half marathon would it be better to run till I pass out and then have a few buddies help me go further or run a bit more every day with some rest mixed in. The problem with killing oneself is the extra recovery required robs one of precious training time down the road. Truth is the more often you can do a thing is more important than how hard you do a thing. Proffesional athletes and coaches know this, but bbing is still surrounded by mysticism.

You could always perform your own experiment as well.

Good luck,
Hawk

MrRippedZilla

MrRippedZilla

VIP Member
Feb 18, 2015
Based on the science we have training to failure is optimal for hypertrophy.

Can you please post this science stating that training failure is optimal for hypetrophy?
Because having kept up with the data religiously I can say with 100% confidence that the data, taken as a whole, does not say that.

Training to failure, like most things, should be incorporated within an optimal periodized programme - sometimes you do, sometimes you don't:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20847704
"At least some of the sets should be carried out to the point of concentric muscular failure,
perhaps alternating microcycles of sets to failure with those not performed to failure to minimize the potential for overtraining."

Last edited:
chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Can you please post this science stating that training failure is optimal for hypetrophy?
Because having kept up with the data religiously I can say with 100% confidence that the data, taken as a whole, does not say that.

Training to failure, like most things, should be incorporated within an optimal periodized programme - sometimes you do, sometimes you don't:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20847704
"At least some of the sets should be carried out to the point of concentric muscular failure,
perhaps alternating microcycles of sets to failure with those not performed to failure to minimize the potential for overtraining."

Yeah, I suspect there isn't any myself. Emperical date using myself and many others suggest it is not neccessary. As far as optimal...I doubt it as well, but think it's another tool for the box. I bet "failure" is used in most research since it is black and white. RPE's and other such concepts might leave too many variables for unexperienced subjects in particular.

Hawk

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
There is a time and a place for failure, but not all the time. 1 out of every 4 weeks Ill train to failure on body parts, the rest of the time is lower reps higher weights. Sometimes I screw up, and train till I fail, but not cause im programing to do that. I just get over confident and raise the weights to fast.

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
I'll train to failure on very few body parts. I love drop sets on lateral raises, side and front. I'll do it once every 4-5 weeks at the end of my workout. Additionally, I'll do a type of flat bench failure routine I learned every six weeks. I've made ridiculous strength gains with it.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Seldomly, risk of injury is too high imo. I did that shit in my early teens and throughout my twenties, my shoulder is worse off for it.

T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
I agree with OMS . There's a time and place for failure training , IMO . Everyone is different so if training to failure gets some1 killer gains , for some1 else it may actually hinder gains .
I like to train legs to failure !!! Every set is to failure , no matter if I do 15 sets for an excersise or 4 sets for an excersise , it failure . For me I get maximum muscle fiber recruitment from my legs when I train them this way .
As for failure with any other body part , it really depends on how I feel that nite . I may do failure sets , drop sets , pyramids , low reps , high reps , really depends .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic