Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt

DEADLIFTS - How much of a difference does the bar make?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It only allows for improvement b/c you know how to pull with a DL bar. For those who have never pulled with one... they'll find it different and may even hurt them numbers wise in the beginning.

I remember my first time clearly. It was my opening pull at my first meet lol

my opener came flying off the floor because it felt like a rack pull to me. Wound up with a big ass pr for the day because of it. It was only 530 which wasn't quite enough to really bend the bar but heavy enough for it to move slow and not whip so bad.

last Friday when I did the 545 for triples that bar was whipping like a sumbitch though

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A bar makes a HUGE difference on all lifts.....

Deadlift, especially, because of the whip and grip of the bar. No amount of chalk can fix a slick bar.

The whip is nice on DL if you can pull the slack out before the ascent, but if you're not used to it some sumo pullers get messed up at lockout with it.
You want a stiff squat and bench bar though.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
TO a degree, yes, I agree with you....however, POB and I have trained with stiffer bars for a couple weeks then we go back to the DL bar and we've made some great progress....not a permanent change but with speed lifts at 60-70%, IMO it's ok but not for 80% or more....with that %, stick to the thin grip, whippy bars.

Interesting info more more more

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I remember my first time clearly. It was my opening pull at my first meet lol

my opener came flying off the floor because it felt like a rack pull to me. Wound up with a big ass pr for the day because of it. It was only 530 which wasn't quite enough to really bend the bar but heavy enough for it to move slow and not whip so bad.

last Friday when I did the 545 for triples that bar was whipping like a sumbitch though

Fascinating - so is it safe for me to guess that I could learn to make the whipping motion if the bar wirk for me?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yup, makes total sense.

The stiffer bars are almost like a deficit pull....but as I stated earlier, it's not for the heavy sessions IMO.

Yup, and that's why i need to pick up a DL bar for my gym. I gotta hit up some meets and see if a promoter has a beater bar I can take off their hands.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Fascinating - so is it safe for me to guess that I could learn to make the whipping motion if the bar wirk for me?

Yes. If you are pulling with a deadlift bar it flexes as you initiate the pull. And the weights don't break the floor at the exact same time. So with say a Texas deadlift bar which is moderately whippy and very reasonably priced with anything over 450 on the bar it will reach midshin before all the weight breaks
When i pulled 605 last week the bar was damn near at my knees. It let's you keep the chest up and the spine in alignment.

But where it will screw you up is at the top as the weight bounces around. The trick is to squeeze the lats hard which keeps the bar against the legs while squeezing the glutes which then pushes the thighs against the bar. Pins it in place similar to how the over under grip works.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I went back at watched the vid of my pull. Maybe just below the knee was a bit exxagerated. Felt that way though lol...

Here is a pic of me and my Texas dl bar with 605. You can see the severe flex in the bar.

http://imgur.com/q9bGCkX

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic