Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Botched Shot

Puff88

Puff88

Dec 28, 2022
2 days ago I did my shot in the quad, a typical favorite location for me, never an issue. I will even alternate and do upper quad (about fingers length when standing upright with arms at side) and lower quad (just a few inches down from there). I used a 5/8 pin this time in the upper, instead of 1 inch. Have done that before, no issue, but usually go with 1 inch. My leg is killing me! Huge lump, swollen, limping, can't bend it, hurts to the touch. I've had this happen in other sites but not the quad. It goes away, sometimes takes longer than others.

When this happens with a shot:
Is it a sign that your oil went subq instead of IM? Thinking maybe since I'm a little bigger than usual and my quads got a little thicker, the 5/8 wasn't long enough.
Does it mean that the oil/hormone is not absorbed? Is it a wasted shot? Or same absorption, just different pathway and more pain?

I did do a bit more oil in that one particular shot. But not really enough to consider that the reason for the pain. It was the end of the vial and rather than save half an ML for next time I just cleaned it up in that last pin.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I literally just had this happen to me. Same injection area, same size pin, redness, goose egg under the skin, pain, hot to touch, everything.

You posted this somewhere else & I can’t wait to see your response to my question.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
How much volume in the shot? I would almost guarantee that it was thr shallow injection with the 5/8. I had it happen before in my delts. It was only 1 cc but small sterile abcess that was red swollen and hot to touch. Body treats the sterile abcess with an inflammatory reaction. Used heat and massage and had a bit of test flu. Cleared up in a week. The hormones in the depot get absorbed it's just not as clean as a regular shot. I took a few days double course of Augmentin and used ibuprofen just in case to help clear it up.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I’ve used 5/8 many times in the past. I have switched to 1” now but I found some 5/8 I had so I thought I’d use them up. I’ve never had an issue before but it’s def a possibility that’s the issue.
I ran 1500 mgs daily with amoxicillin & it went away pretty quick.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Keflex is usually the go to if you think it might be an infection, but as said above heat and massage are your friend. Get a heating pad. Monitor your temperature and redness/itchiness on the off chance that any flora from your skin surface was introduced and caused a cellulitic infection.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5.0
LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
Yep, they use to call it grunt candy. Didn't matter if your arm was hanging on by a thread or you just had a swollen ankle.
The only thing you're leaving with is Motrin.
Lol. Yep Air Force here and yes we called Vitamin M. Take your daily vitamin and get back on the flight line. Lmao.

Puff88

Puff88

Dec 28, 2022
Update on this:

Since that shot in my right quad, i have since had injections into the left quad, left delt, and right delt. All with no issue. A little more pip than usual in the right delt but nothing to make me think twice about anything.

Fast forward to this past Monday evening, i did my inject into my right glute with a 1 inch pin. This time the swelling and pain is even worse than that right quad shot in my original post. Ive never used larger than a 1 inch in the glute and never had any type of issue. i am fairly lean and not a very large dude.

I did legs on Tuesday morning and had a terrible workout. Part of that is because i am 8 weeks into anavar and the back pumps on leg day have been unbearable the last 2-3 weeks. Cut the workout short and spent some good time stretching. Really felt worn out and fatigued that whole day. Wednesday rolled around and i felt like absolute garbage. The pain in my glute is extreme, and causing discomfort all down my leg and lower back. In addition to that, i really started to feel run down, clammy, worn out, fatigued, and like everything just hurt and ached. Sensitive skin, my shirt hurt my skin. Started taking my temperature around 8pm or so lastnight, got as high as 100.9. Took it twice throughout the night and it was 98.4-98.8. Ive only been taking some aspirin here and there. Was so uncomfortable in bed all night i could barely sleep. Could not position myself to where my glute was not throbbing in pain. As the night went on, the pain my glute moderated a bit, but then i was up for some time because i had tension and pain all down the outside of my upper leg and severe aching all around my right knee. I had to get up at one point and stretch it was that uncomfortable.

Ive been doing alot of reading on infections and abscesses. Yes it is warm to the touch and i did have a low grade fever. The swelling is hard to the touch, not soft and spongy. In addition, the swelling itself is a good couple of inches to the left, right, and down of where the actual inject was, its takes up a pretty good portion of my right glute, and is very sore to the touch. Perhaps it was too quick of an inject and the oil did not pocket itself in and rather disbursed throughout a larger area and ended up subq to some extent. It comes and goes as far as being super severe and limping, to just being manageable. But now the aching in the knee is just uncomfortable. My temp has been under 99 since middle of the night.

Im thinking that i may have injected into a nerve, or too close to a nerve. Maybe that was the case with both of these injects. The one last week in my quad went away almost 100% within a few days. This one didnt really start to be a problem until mid day Tuesday, so im trying to give it into tomorrow/Saturday to see it subside a bit. Im thinking nerve because to me that would help explain the discomfort going down the leg into the knee. Nothing is visible to the eye except the glute being swollen, which it certainly is quite swollen. No visible veins, bruising, dark spots, etc.

Im contemplating maybe going to an urgent care to get an antibiotic. I just dont know how honest i can be with them and say i stuck a needle in my ass and now i need an antibiotic, and not risk them notating my record and submitting to insurance.

Either way, i think i am taking a break from pinning anywhere below the waist for a while. My upper body shots have been fine. If its an infection, im not blaming the gear, id blame a bad inject on my behalf. Ive been using the current oils since May, with these 2 shots being the only of any issue. Ive also been using this supplier for about 3 years now. The only time i have ever experienced pain and swelling like this is anytime i have tried to inject in the calf. Which i dont do at all anymore since it leaves me unable to walk for a week and cankles.

I will say, i did recently slightly increase the amount of oil in my shots around the time of that quad inject. Maybe a week or 2 prior. Im doing about .7 ML of a 350mg/ml sust, and .5 ML of a 200mg/ml Mast E, each shot twice per week. Perhaps pinning in the legs with the larger amount of higher concentrated sust is not agreeing with me well.

Through past experience, these instances have always subsided on their own. Sometimes 2-3 days, sometimes a full week. These 2 have just been the worse in regard to pain and size of the swelling. If it was an abscess, id imagine the overall size of the swelling may be more confined to just the abscess itself. This seems to be much larger of an area, very hard to the touch, and feels like it needs to be stretched out but is too sore and too tight.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Update on this:

Since that shot in my right quad, i have since had injections into the left quad, left delt, and right delt. All with no issue. A little more pip than usual in the right delt but nothing to make me think twice about anything.

Fast forward to this past Monday evening, i did my inject into my right glute with a 1 inch pin. This time the swelling and pain is even worse than that right quad shot in my original post. Ive never used larger than a 1 inch in the glute and never had any type of issue. i am fairly lean and not a very large dude.

I did legs on Tuesday morning and had a terrible workout. Part of that is because i am 8 weeks into anavar and the back pumps on leg day have been unbearable the last 2-3 weeks. Cut the workout short and spent some good time stretching. Really felt worn out and fatigued that whole day. Wednesday rolled around and i felt like absolute garbage. The pain in my glute is extreme, and causing discomfort all down my leg and lower back. In addition to that, i really started to feel run down, clammy, worn out, fatigued, and like everything just hurt and ached. Sensitive skin, my shirt hurt my skin. Started taking my temperature around 8pm or so lastnight, got as high as 100.9. Took it twice throughout the night and it was 98.4-98.8. Ive only been taking some aspirin here and there. Was so uncomfortable in bed all night i could barely sleep. Could not position myself to where my glute was not throbbing in pain. As the night went on, the pain my glute moderated a bit, but then i was up for some time because i had tension and pain all down the outside of my upper leg and severe aching all around my right knee. I had to get up at one point and stretch it was that uncomfortable.

Ive been doing alot of reading on infections and abscesses. Yes it is warm to the touch and i did have a low grade fever. The swelling is hard to the touch, not soft and spongy. In addition, the swelling itself is a good couple of inches to the left, right, and down of where the actual inject was, its takes up a pretty good portion of my right glute, and is very sore to the touch. Perhaps it was too quick of an inject and the oil did not pocket itself in and rather disbursed throughout a larger area and ended up subq to some extent. It comes and goes as far as being super severe and limping, to just being manageable. But now the aching in the knee is just uncomfortable. My temp has been under 99 since middle of the night.

Im thinking that i may have injected into a nerve, or too close to a nerve. Maybe that was the case with both of these injects. The one last week in my quad went away almost 100% within a few days. This one didnt really start to be a problem until mid day Tuesday, so im trying to give it into tomorrow/Saturday to see it subside a bit. Im thinking nerve because to me that would help explain the discomfort going down the leg into the knee. Nothing is visible to the eye except the glute being swollen, which it certainly is quite swollen. No visible veins, bruising, dark spots, etc.

Im contemplating maybe going to an urgent care to get an antibiotic. I just dont know how honest i can be with them and say i stuck a needle in my ass and now i need an antibiotic, and not risk them notating my record and submitting to insurance.

Either way, i think i am taking a break from pinning anywhere below the waist for a while. My upper body shots have been fine. If its an infection, im not blaming the gear, id blame a bad inject on my behalf. Ive been using the current oils since May, with these 2 shots being the only of any issue. Ive also been using this supplier for about 3 years now. The only time i have ever experienced pain and swelling like this is anytime i have tried to inject in the calf. Which i dont do at all anymore since it leaves me unable to walk for a week and cankles.

I will say, i did recently slightly increase the amount of oil in my shots around the time of that quad inject. Maybe a week or 2 prior. Im doing about .7 ML of a 350mg/ml sust, and .5 ML of a 200mg/ml Mast E, each shot twice per week. Perhaps pinning in the legs with the larger amount of higher concentrated sust is not agreeing with me well.

Through past experience, these instances have always subsided on their own. Sometimes 2-3 days, sometimes a full week. These 2 have just been the worse in regard to pain and size of the swelling. If it was an abscess, id imagine the overall size of the swelling may be more confined to just the abscess itself. This seems to be much larger of an area, very hard to the touch, and feels like it needs to be stretched out but is too sore and too tight.
"Since that shot in my right quad, i have since had injections into the left quad, left delt, and right delt. All with no issue." All with the same volume and product?

Puff88

Puff88

Dec 28, 2022
"Since that shot in my right quad, i have since had injections into the left quad, left delt, and right delt. All with no issue." All with the same volume and product?
Yes

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic