Latest Member
jacobss

Blood Sugar Drops in Prep

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Blood sugar drops during intense cardio session. Seems to only happen in prep for me.
Happens usually during step mill time, no other time. Any other cardio does not happen. Only on the step mill. And i ensure i have eaten my meal prior. Gosh i hate that. Because i left gym, went to a gas station, got some shit food and chowed down in the car. Then went back in and finished lol.

Also, it doesn't happen every time i do the step mill either. Might happen to me maybe once or twice during my last 5 weeks of prep. Is weird....scary and weird.....

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
How low is low? Any intense work should drop blood sugar. Perhaps stepmill is using more energy than others. Do you eat the same thing every time? I know I could get mine pretty low and still function.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
What does your meal prior consist of?

It could be a case of reactive hypoglycemia depending on what you ate.

Taking any slin? peptides? GDA's (Metformin, ALA, etc)?

Also, a large, quick drop can make you feel like you are going hypo, even though it may not be technically low.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Instead of slamming junk, try 3-4 small pretzels or a swig of high glycemic fruit juice (cranberry or grape). I would go hypo at work while prepping especially 2-3wks out when I was starving off the last bit of lower back. I found that 15-20g of simple carb quickly solved the issue without blowing the fat loss. Just make sure the next whole food meal gets eaten with an hour or you might be right back hypo lol.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
No, i'm not diabetic.

I'm not sure how low it was as i didn't measure it. Just felt the typical symptoms.

The meal i did have was 4oz of chicken breasts and some roasted green peppers. I do eat the same thing prior to working out.

Yea MikeRN, I know i shouldn't have reached out to junk. My coach said to keep some rice cakes in my gym back in case that happens again.

Thanks all for your input. Just weird that it happens only on the step mill, never on the treadmill or eliptical.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I would start feeling it during prep when I was still doing rest pause work for legs and back. I keep a package of Airheads in my gym bag. I think there are 14 grams of carbs in one of them and they worked well. I just adjusted the carbs in my post workout meal to account for it.

Anita Blumpkin

Anita Blumpkin

TID Lady Member
Jul 19, 2023
Blood sugar drops during intense cardio session. Seems to only happen in prep for me.
Happens usually during step mill time, no other time. Any other cardio does not happen. Only on the step mill. And i ensure i have eaten my meal prior. Gosh i hate that. Because i left gym, went to a gas station, got some shit food and chowed down in the car. Then went back in and finished lol.

Also, it doesn't happen every time i do the step mill either. Might happen to me maybe once or twice during my last 5 weeks of prep. Is weird....scary and weird.....
Have you tried Berberine?

Darkness

Darkness

VIP Member
May 7, 2011
I had this same issue. I was basically going hypoglycemic once or twice a day and almost always when training. It got worse as prep dragged on.

my wife had the same issue. She just got a new coach who is pretty much a legend and he had her add a teaspoon of cinnamon to every preworkout meal. It fixed her issue and she hasn’t went hypo since. I started doing it as well six weeks ago and have not went hypo since either.

If I were you, I would do this too. There’s something magic about cinnamon apparently that levels blood sugar and prevents that large insulin spike that reacts and drives blood sugar to the diet.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
@Anita Blumpkin yes, been using it for about a year or so now : )

@Darkness interesting about cinnamon.....might try that. And again, it doesnt happen to me all the time, and its only during prep...and happens once maybe twice....

Historically my blood sugars are in the good range.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic