Latest Member
jacobss

Back Arch

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Here's my next question.

When you get into position for a conventional dead lift, should your back be arched or neutral? Your back shouldn't be bent forward any right?
Correct. You don't want to fold over, shoulders back, chest up.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Correct. You don't want to fold over, shoulders back, chest up.

Thanks NOV. That helps man.

Remember Turbo, you're pulling back, not up.

Thanks for the reply up. That makes sense. When I started pulling sumo, I saw some videos that said you are also pulling back instead of up.

So I'll try to apply that to conventional pulls.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks NOV. That helps man.

Thanks for the reply up. That makes sense. When I started pulling sumo, I saw some videos that said you are also pulling back instead of up.

So I'll try to apply that to conventional pulls.

It's not "also"....you ARE pulling back. Sumo or conventional, you're still pulling back.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
It's not "also"....you ARE pulling back. Sumo or conventional, you're still pulling back.

Thanks.

I'm gonna work on my approach to conventional pulls. Honestly, I've always thought you were going up instead of back. So this is something I'm going to work on.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks.

I'm gonna work on my approach to conventional pulls. Honestly, I've always thought you were going up instead of back. So this is something I'm going to work on.

I pull conventional....hit a 55lb PR at the meet and it came up like it was a warmup set. I can't pull sumo...my hips and hip flexors take too much of a beating. most likely from all my years playing hockey and pitching I would reckon.

But no, it's back....once I understood that, it clicked. POB loves my conventional pull form when I keep my hips down....I owe a lot of credit to him working with me but it's something that I thoroughly enjoy and I understand it more than ever.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Uhc how long did you play hockey and to what level? I played for 15 yrs

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Uhc how long did you play hockey and to what level? I played for 15 yrs

Junior A was my highest level..gave it one last run after I lost my baseball scholarship due to injury. Hockey I was high D2 at best.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
What position did you play? I was left defense and my favorite part of hockey was standing over some poor bastard that had his head down and hear him trying to breath after I layed him out. Mmmmm, great memories!

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
What position did you play? I was left defense and my favorite part of hockey was standing over some poor bastard that had his head down and hear him trying to breath after I layed him out. Mmmmm, great memories!

Defense, ran the point on the PP and moved up to forward on PK's. more assists than goals however I rushed the puck through the neutral zone a bunch when on D...I had good skills but not great.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I miss playing and I won't do men's leagues. It's not hockey without hitting

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I miss playing and I won't do men's leagues. It's not hockey without hitting

Agreed there. I just coach on the side when I can fit it in.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 4 members watching this topic

, , ,