Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Any welders here?

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Flash burn sucks. Been there. Feels like there's 80 grit sandpaper being rubbed in your eyes.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Give me the old school hoods any day with the flip up lense. Automatics are know to go out and not darken when u strike a arc. Nothing like waking up at 2am rubbing your eyes because it feels like u have sand in them and it hurts...good old flash burn.

Few things that can help you from being flashed.

1. Get a 4 sensor auto darkening helmet
2. If it's solar powered (Does not use batteries), you need to make sure it's getting charged in direct sunlight whenever it's not in use!
3. If it's battery powered, keep an eye on the life of the batteries. If you are a heavy welder, you can go through lots of batteries.

If you weld inside, I suggest you make sure to be using a battery powered helmet. As long as the helmet is charged/fresh batteries, and it has 4 sensors, there should be no issue of flashing with a decent helmet.

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
A great welding project could be making a squat rack or a bench for your home gym. Square bar steel is pretty darn easy to get

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
A great welding project could be making a squat rack or a bench for your home gym. Square bar steel is pretty darn easy to get

That won't be for a while. Being able to weld well enough to building something that needs to be super safe and super sturdy takes a lot of practice. If ANY of my welds are weak, I could potentially get killed.

I agree though. My dad was a welder for many years. He welded tanks for a living when I was little. He made his own home gym too. That was about 35 years ago though, so he doesn't have them anymore.

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
That won't be for a while. Being able to weld well enough to building something that needs to be super safe and super sturdy takes a lot of practice. If ANY of my welds are weak, I could potentially get killed.

I agree though. My dad was a welder for many years. He welded tanks for a living when I was little. He made his own home gym too. That was about 35 years ago though, so he doesn't have them anymore.

That I agree with, and simple projects could be a way to get the skill necessary to build metal structures that can hold weight safely (like a bench or squat rack)

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
There is a welding and fab shop not far from me. I am going to ask if I can get some of their scrap metal to practice on. Only issue is, what do I do with it once I am done? lol I can't just throw it in the trash.

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
There is a welding and fab shop not far from me. I am going to ask if I can get some of their scrap metal to practice on. Only issue is, what do I do with it once I am done? lol I can't just throw it in the trash.

scrap metal dealers can take it

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
This is the bib I will get eventually.

image_61153.jpg

you could probably wear this out to certain bars as well.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013

You bring it to a scrap yard and get some beer money.

RebelMuscle666

RebelMuscle666

Sep 9, 2014
My Hobart has been working great for years now. I use it for auto body hobbies and side work here and there. Miller and Lincoln are both good as well.

S

sartac

May 12, 2012
Thermal Arc is a slightly lesser known brand that I'm partial to. In case anyone else is looking for units. The Lincoln MIG units are nice, and I think they have more settings than my 220v TA. My TA TIG unit, however, has a myriad of settings... a nice little inverter box about the size of a computer case. At 180A AC/DC, it gives the big Miller TIG units a run for their money.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic