Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Alcohol, gains and body fat.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I was drinking tequila until drunk (5-12 shots) once and sometimes twice a week. I looked great but I was also on Test, Tren, Winny or Test, Deca, Superdrol. I rarely drink these days, run around 120-150 max Test and 70mgs Mast and look pretty good for over 60. I am curious how much you all drink and how you look, feel and how is the good ole belly fat?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Liquor such as gin, whiskey and vodka don't not illicit an insulin response, so it's OK for a ketogenic diet. Carnivore dieters would frown on that, but I'll never frown on gin or bourbon.

Those liquors above are about 150 calories a shot. So if you drink it straight, 2-3 drinks puts you under 500 calories. Not a good way to lose weight, but not the devil either.

C

CesarIM

Jan 8, 2024
Well lol. I gave all that shit up 3 yrs ago just to see what will happen. Ill tell you what ,,,,I have never felt better . No belly fat at all and no hangovers.
It took me 38 yrs of drinking and doing dope to figure out that it has no place with working out..lol

Reactions: CFM
JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I never really drank at all till I had to end with my crazy X over 12 years ago. Because you couldn’t drink alcohol unless she was, never had any. Got pretty heavy into the craft of beer, whiskey, and wine till about 2019. No real physique issues and drank most days of the week. Jan 2019 I did dry January and felt amazing. Slept better, had better workouts, and overall better quality of life. Since then I have a drink here or there, but nothing like before. I haven’t had any alcohol this year so far, and my Body fat has dropped 4% in the first 6 weeks while also eating really clean and working out hard. It seems to me that alcohol diminishes gains and inhibits fat burning and crushes progress. Plus, now that I’m older, I value my time and the day.

Reactions: CFM
genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Liquor such as gin, whiskey and vodka don't not illicit an insulin response, so it's OK for a ketogenic diet. Carnivore dieters would frown on that, but I'll never frown on gin or bourbon.

Those liquors above are about 150 calories a shot. So if you drink it straight, 2-3 drinks puts you under 500 calories. Not a good way to lose weight, but not the devil either.
I have a couple dozen clients and the ones who make the greatest progress are the ones who abstain from drinking or really limit themselves to a couple drinks at social events once or twice a month. I have explained exactly what you said, 2-3 drinks might erase your entire calorie deficit for some of them that day.

Even worse, your body doesn't know how to use the calories from alcohol (non-essential macro). It identifies alcohol as a foreign entity that must be removed first and foremost. It will abandon all other forms of metabolizing energy to burn off the alcohol. This means 2-3 drinks could pretty much stop all fat loss, muscle protein synthesis, etc... for 4-6 hours depending on how quickly you could burn off the alcohol.

I am not against drinking. I just want to put that into perspective for those who wonder why they stick to meal plan, train their asses off, but do not see the results they want, because they have a few drinks multiple times a week.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I drink 2-3 craft beers 3days/wk and smoke an inordinate amount of cannabis. Could I look leaner? Sure but I’m not competing anymore nor chasing skirts.

That said the only issue with the beers is a little love handle action. The benefits are social lubrication and dealing with a world full of self important assholes.

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
I'll give my opinion: alcohol destroys microbiome and mitochondria. The result is a compromised metabolism. Infact alcohol in any form halts protein synthesis and allows the protein process to become 'rancid' for lack of a better word. I rarely drink because I don't like it.

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
I drink 2-3 craft beers 3days/wk and smoke an inordinate amount of cannabis. Could I look leaner? Sure but I’m not competing anymore nor chasing skirts.

That said the only issue with the beers is a little love handle action. The benefits are social lubrication and dealing with a world full of self important asshol
But Mike, everyone matters. Some less than others.

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
I have a couple dozen clients and the ones who make the greatest progress are the ones who abstain from drinking or really limit themselves to a couple drinks at social events once or twice a month. I have explained exactly what you said, 2-3 drinks might erase your entire calorie deficit for some of them that day.

Even worse, your body doesn't know how to use the calories from alcohol (non-essential macro). It identifies alcohol as a foreign entity that must be removed first and foremost. It will abandon all other forms of metabolizing energy to burn off the alcohol. This means 2-3 drinks could pretty much stop all fat loss, muscle protein synthesis, etc... for 4-6 hours depending on how quickly you could burn off the alcohol.

I am not against drinking. I just want to put that into perspective for those who wonder why they stick to meal plan, train their asses off, but do not see the results they want, because they have a few drinks multiple times a week.
I see a kid at the gym, found out he's 46. We have been treadmilling and talking. I asked him what is your goal here? He told me to build muscle. I told him you train like a beast but make no gains. Sure as shit he "has just a few shots of single malt every night". There you go!

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
my go-tos:
vodka and club soda
scotch and water

There are lots of negatives to alcohol besides its caloric content. Its a toxin so the body prioritizes it. Its also hard on the liver and if you're PED's already you're giving your liver a workout. I actually try to avoid alcohol when on a cycle (especially if orals are involved).

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013

That said the only issue with the beers is a little love handle action. The benefits are social lubrication and dealing with a world full of self important assholes.
This is today, I’m in Playa Del Carmen. Of course I strategically hid the love handles. But I’m 53 and party like a semi-retired Rock Star.
IMG_2233.jpeg

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Nice to be on vacation!

I think whether alcohol is a good idea or not really gets down to what are your short and long term goals. If you're looking to cut, alcohol is not helping you. If you're in a maintenance mode, happy with your physique, and chugging away, I don't see the harm.

While I've got no beef with those people who are strict on their diet year-round for years, that's just not the way I'm wired. I'm presently on a keto diet and attempting to lean up for the summer, and due to that alcohol will be a once a week treat.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic