Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Blackenalma
What's New?

About how many calories a day do you eat when bulking?

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
I know erbuddy does this a bit different. I do try to stay 40/40/20 but I am having a hard time eating enough calories. I've been trying to get 5000 calories a day but i'm not sure i'f that's enough, and i am not good at force feeding myself. it's been a struggle.

I was curious as to how much everyone else is eating, if you care to share.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I dont "bulk" anymore, but when I would, I would structure a surplus that had me gaining 1lb/weeek and that would be about 3300cal. Not a physical job and 4 workouts / week.

5000 is A LOT (but I dont know how active you are). You could be a ripped 275lb mailman that walks 8 miles a day and then 5000 sounds about right.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
At my biggest I was taking in probably close to 8000 a day. Tried to be as clean as possible. But on 5000 I wasn't growing, just maintaining.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Im on 2750 right now, and I have gained 6 lbs in 4 weeks, I have replaced fat with muscle too, so I may have gained about 8 to 10 lbs in the last 4 weeks. How do I know this, cause my jeans still fit me, but my legs are having a hard time getting into them. My button up shirts are all tight across the shoulders and chest, but my belly, love handles are getting smaller.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
3,000 or slightly over is what I am aiming for now, and that seems like a considerable amount of food for me. I think I had always overestimated what how much I was actually consuming in an average day.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I do 14 cals x bodyweight for a bulk... 16 for a fast bulk. (12 for maintenance and 10 for cut.)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I think I had always overestimated what how much I was actually consuming in an average day.

You are not alone. I hear all the time, guys posting outrageous statements about the amount of calories they claim to eat.

Even guys who say they eat 5000 cal per day probably dont even come close in real life to that every day.(unless they just get very fat along the way).

To illustrate, take a guy with an elite physique....say 230@ under 10% bf. Using a TDEE calculator (which I know is just an estimate), puts him about 3300 cal a day. (if you assume 4 weight training sessions per week, and a non-physical job.

Eating 5000 cal per day, would have him gaining 3 1/2 lbs per week (every week). Or translated.....just getting fat as hell. For a guy that size to need that many cals as a reasonable surplus, on top of his weight training, he would have to be performing a TON of cardio. Briefly figured....it would involve about 3 hours of intense cardio 7 days a week.

So unless you are a mail-man.....or maybe a heavy labor worker, you are probably not really eating 5000 either.

For those that have never taken the time to accurately track, it is an eye opener. The old "bro-lore" you need to eat 5000 calories a day is just plain silly. (and if really carried out, will mostly just leave you fat)

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
You are not alone. I hear all the time, guys posting outrageous statements about the amount of calories they claim to eat.

Even guys who say they eat 5000 cal per day probably dont even come close in real life to that every day.(unless they just get very fat along the way).

To illustrate, take a guy with an elite physique....say 230@ under 10% bf. Using a TDEE calculator (which I know is just an estimate), puts him about 3300 cal a day. (if you assume 4 weight training sessions per week, and a non-physical job.

Eating 5000 cal per day, would have him gaining 3 1/2 lbs per week (every week). Or translated.....just getting fat as hell. For a guy that size to need that many cals as a reasonable surplus, on top of his weight training, he would have to be performing a TON of cardio. Briefly figured....it would involve about 3 hours of intense cardio 7 days a week.

So unless you are a mail-man.....or maybe a heavy labor worker, you are probably not really eating 5000 either.

For those that have never taken the time to accurately track, it is an eye opener. The old "bro-lore" you need to eat 5000 calories a day is just plain silly. (and if really carried out, will mostly just leave you fat)

Tbh I have been doing this for about a week with a fitness tracker and measuring everything. But it's real fucking hard to cram 5k in my gullet and yes, I believe I am visibly fatter after this short time.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I focus on getting the most protein I can, not particularly the calories but the grams of protein:)
Just eat enough to keep from feeling starving and maintain a good energy level

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
These days I eat pretty much whatever I want. I've gone as high as 10,000 cals in a day just for the hell of it. (not even close to healthy) We are talking multiple large pizzas here. These days I typically stay around 3,500 - 4,000 I eat my protein first and when I can't eat more meat I'll toss in a veggie or two to stay regular.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic