Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

6 pack at 40

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it. I guess my biggest concern is how to lose the weight yet add muscle at the same time.

When we start weight lifting and a good diet, that is very possible. The body gains muscle quite easily, even in a caloric deficit. However, as time goes on, the body needs a caloric surplus more and more to gain muscle, because we start reaching a point where muscle becomes higher maintenance to hold on to. Is it possible to do? Sure, is it optimal? not at all. If you're an athlete that has goals of gaining speed, power etc, then it's great, but if you're looking to put on mass, then you're in for an uphill battle trying to juggle those two goals.

I personally like brackets of about 6 months to make lean gains, or as lean as possible, and then addressing any excess fat I put on in the following 6 months by sticking to maintenance for a while. The slower progress of 6 months vs 12 week bursts seems to have done me better in the long run, but I didn't see it until I had been at it for a year and a half!

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
<<<<-----Almost 44. Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. Cardio, 250-500cals below BMR and diligence.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
Fine post Shortz. Incidentally "clean eating" generally implies the avoidance of pre-packaged or canned or pre-made meals. The bottom line you only eat what you cooked. That's the best means of knowing what your eating and it's food group caloric proportion. Moreover people generally eat less when they cook their meals "from scratch".

Become involved in core fitness aerobic classes, and maintain a healthy diet. Incidentally unless your cycling AAS the consumption of more than 1.0 gm/kg /day of protein is of limited benefit, IMO.

Regards
Jim

Did you just use the word aerobic?........would you like some pink dumbbells to go along with that suggestion?

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Don't bother doing copious amounts of abs training. Do some core movements just for strength. Working your abs won't make them show. That time is better spent on cardio or meal prep.

Ever see that beer gut guy on the abs crunch machine doing a million reps? Huge waste of time.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic