jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
MiddleweightIsrael Adesanya (c)vs.Sean Strickland
HeavyweightTai Tuivasavs.Alexander Volkov
FlyweightManel Kapevs.Felipe dos Santos
HeavyweightJustin Tafavs.Austen Lane
Light HeavyweightTyson Pedrovs.Anton Turkalj

It will be in Aussie land but will start reg time here. 10pm EST.

Izzy vs Strikland. Izzy is a counter striker, Strickland a volume striker with a GREAT ground game. I like Izzy but would love to see a shake up with Sean winning.

Tai vs Volkov, Tai has lost 2 in a row vs real monsters 1 of them being Gane. Volkov won 2 in a row vs lower rank guys but big punchers. Should be a good one.

Kape vs FDS: Kape is a striker who has never been KO'd but has lost via sub. FDS can do it all. His best shot is grappling.

Tafa vs Lane this fight happened not long ago but was a NC due to eye poke. Gonna do it all over.

Pedro vs Anton Pedro is a crafty well rounded guy who just cannot seem to get ranked. Anton "the pleasure man" Yeah that is his nickname. He is a contender series guy with a 50% record once fighting in the UFC. 2 fights.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Is it me, or is this a very weak card? I have absolutely no interest in any of the fights outside of the main fight:(

I'm sure Izzy will be the heavy favorite, but if he's smart, he will not sleep on Sean. Sean has one of the most unique forward approach standups i've ever seen. His ability to work in close quarters and avoid getting hit is amazing. He also has a huge gas tank, so he will not get tired either. Im hope if he gets the opportunity, he will take it to the ground. If he takes Izzy down, it could be over. I really like this fight.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Strickland hasn’t beat anyone meaningful ever, I dunno how he’s getting a shot at Izzy.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Strickland hasn’t beat anyone meaningful ever, I dunno how he’s getting a shot at Izzy.

Yeah I hear ya but who else? Izzy has cleaned out the top 5. No one wants to see him fight Cannonier again, boring, Vetorri? already beat the shit out of him. Bobby Knuckles? Robert Whittaker for those who do not listen to the CME. Beat him 2x. Costa has signed the Khazmat fight. Brunson lost his last 2. You see where I am going bro. No one left to fight that has not been beaten by Izzy or has a winning record in the top 10.Strickland is at least 6ish in the ranks.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I think one of the main reasons Strickland is getting the nod for a title shot is because Dricus was not able to fight, and nobody steps in on short notice like Strickland (and Holland, but he is a division below, lol). Then, like Jipped stated, it is somebody new who hasn't already lost twice to Izzy.

I think after this fight, assuming he wins, he will fight the winner of Costa/Chimaev. Izzy vs Chimaev is the fight everybody wants to see, but I guess we'll see if it goes that path.

Actually, scratch that, it will probably be Dricus first.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
This has been a decent card so far, kind of surprised, lol!!!

Tafa straight laid out Lane and then did some GnP to hell, lol.

Kape vs Dos Santos was a badass fight. Kape won, but Dos Santos has a SUPER bright future. It was his debut fight and he fought Kape who is ranked #10. Dos Santos took the fight on short notice. The Kape vs Kasi Kara France is going to be a super heated fight. These guys HATE each other. Kape called France pretty much every name you can think of for backing out of their fight, then he called his whole team a bunch of faggots!!! LOL!!! Heck, this is not even counting the pre-fight conference where he went off on Kai and then Adesanya, haha :D

CO and Main fight up next. I don't have a lot of desire to see Tuivasa/Volkov, but hopefully there will be a huge punch or something, lol.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
MiddleweightSean Stricklanddef.Israel Adesanya (c)Decision (unanimous) (49–46, 49–46, 49–46)55:00
HeavyweightAlexander Volkovdef.Tai TuivasaSubmission (ezekial choke)24:37
FlyweightManel Kapedef.Felipe dos SantosDecision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)35:00
HeavyweightJustin Tafadef.Austen LaneKO (punches)11:22
Light HeavyweightTyson Pedrodef.Anton TurkaljKO (punches)12:12

• Fight of the Night: Manel Kape vs. Felipe dos Santos
  • Performance of the Night: Sean Strickland and Justin Tafa
BROS! WHAT AN UPSET! Some guy bet close to $250K on Izzy to win as if it was a lock to win $36K. NOPE! Lost $250K
Sean had the perfect gameplan. Stand in front, pressure and parry shots. I think he was conservative in the first 3 even with the knock down then added to the volume in 4-5. His kick checking should be a 101 course for all fighters. Yeah it HURTS so bad to check a kick. But your leg will still work. Unlike if you take a bunch of un-checked calf/leg kicks. Like I said, it hurts but the kicker hurts just as much. Some say that a checked leg kick led to the loss to Pereria . (Looks it up, it is a very plausible theory). Hell I am glad Sean won, the dude is sincere with all he says, he truly believes. Also I like it when a champ gets de-throned. (See O'Malley vs Sterling for a perfect example)

Anyway, forwards pressure is tiring, with your back against the fence or ring ropes it is hard to feel comfortable. I think Izzy is probably one of the best at dealing with this but Strickland encroached upon his longer range and it made Izzy uncomfortable. Was it a barn burner? No. But was it filled with intensity and skill from both guys? YES! Strickland's patience was incredible, the dude is so disciplined. Long live the champ!

Volkov was just too much for Tai. There have been lots of rumors that Tai just does not take training all that seriously. This was a bad match for him. He struggles vs taller opponents with bug reach and Volkov is so tall and rangy. That Ezekiel choke was awesome. Honestly I was not sure what it was until they said it. I am not very current on my subs for sure.

Kape vs FDS. Fight of the night! BMJ, you said it. This kid has a bright future, with a good coach, he can reduce damage taken and increase accuracy. I cannot wait to see him in just 2 years. Kape's after fight interview with DC was hilarious! Calling out Kai Kara-France and his antics were entertaining. I busted out laughing when he said "You team are a bunch of faggots". I think Kai beats him personally. But now I wanna see it.

Tafa vs Lane: He got his $50k for that one. Lane was doing what he was supposed to. Used longer range weapons and the jab to keep at a longer range. but Tafa's career has been made by closing that range very quickly and throwing that overhand (either side). that was all she wrote.

Pedro made quick work of "the pleasure man" I think that maybe something is lost in translation in that nickname from Swedish to English. I think it is supposed to convey that hew is fun to watch. Anyway, Pedro looked really great...but vs a lower unranked guy. He has never fought a real ranked opponent. Only names he has won vs was Paul Craig and Khalil Roundtree. Way back 5-6 years ago. Both guys have come on strong and would win now I think. Hey, best of luck to hiim.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
MiddleweightSean Stricklanddef.Israel Adesanya (c)Decision (unanimous) (49–46, 49–46, 49–46)55:00
HeavyweightAlexander Volkovdef.Tai TuivasaSubmission (ezekial choke)24:37
FlyweightManel Kapedef.Felipe dos SantosDecision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)35:00
HeavyweightJustin Tafadef.Austen LaneKO (punches)11:22
Light HeavyweightTyson Pedrodef.Anton TurkaljKO (punches)12:12

• Fight of the Night: Manel Kape vs. Felipe dos Santos
  • Performance of the Night: Sean Strickland and Justin Tafa
BROS! WHAT AN UPSET! Some guy bet close to $250K on Izzy to win as if it was a lock to win $36K. NOPE! Lost $250K
Sean had the perfect gameplan. Stand in front, pressure and parry shots. I think he was conservative in the first 3 even with the knock down then added to the volume in 4-5. His kick checking should be a 101 course for all fighters. Yeah it HURTS so bad to check a kick. But your leg will still work. Unlike if you take a bunch of un-checked calf/leg kicks. Like I said, it hurts but the kicker hurts just as much. Some say that a checked leg kick led to the loss to Pereria . (Looks it up, it is a very plausible theory). Hell I am glad Sean won, the dude is sincere with all he says, he truly believes. Also I like it when a champ gets de-throned. (See O'Malley vs Sterling for a perfect example)

Anyway, forwards pressure is tiring, with your back against the fence or ring ropes it is hard to feel comfortable. I think Izzy is probably one of the best at dealing with this but Strickland encroached upon his longer range and it made Izzy uncomfortable. Was it a barn burner? No. But was it filled with intensity and skill from both guys? YES! Strickland's patience was incredible, the dude is so disciplined. Long live the champ!

Volkov was just too much for Tai. There have been lots of rumors that Tai just does not take training all that seriously. This was a bad match for him. He struggles vs taller opponents with bug reach and Volkov is so tall and rangy. That Ezekiel choke was awesome. Honestly I was not sure what it was until they said it. I am not very current on my subs for sure.

Kape vs FDS. Fight of the night! BMJ, you said it. This kid has a bright future, with a good coach, he can reduce damage taken and increase accuracy. I cannot wait to see him in just 2 years. Kape's after fight interview with DC was hilarious! Calling out Kai Kara-France and his antics were entertaining. I busted out laughing when he said "You team are a bunch of faggots". I think Kai beats him personally. But now I wanna see it.

Tafa vs Lane: He got his $50k for that one. Lane was doing what he was supposed to. Used longer range weapons and the jab to keep at a longer range. but Tafa's career has been made by closing that range very quickly and throwing that overhand (either side). that was all she wrote.

Pedro made quick work of "the pleasure man" I think that maybe something is lost in translation in that nickname from Swedish to English. I think it is supposed to convey that hew is fun to watch. Anyway, Pedro looked really great...but vs a lower unranked guy. He has never fought a real ranked opponent. Only names he has won vs was Paul Craig and Khalil Roundtree. Way back 5-6 years ago. Both guys have come on strong and would win now I think. Hey, best of luck to hiim.

I wish I would have put a $100 on Strickland!!! DAMN! I almost never would bet against Izzy, but with those odds, and knowing Strickland's patience and defense, I should have thought of it:( lol! Izzy is almost unbeatable versus the whole division, but sometimes styles can win fights. He had never fought somebody like Strickland, maybe Pereira to a degree, but Sean is a whole different beast in the standup. My whole liking this fight was to see how the styles matched up. It was something different. In the back of my mind, I was thinking this same scenario could play out like it did, but with Izzy, he is usually good at adjusting, and he is always just one punch away from KO'ing somebody with his counter-punching, so it made the fight interesting to me. Strickland is a VERY smart fighter, and he is a VERY patient fighter, which helped him win this fight. His other supreme strength is his conditioning, he mentioned he wasn't even a little bit tired at the end of the fight. DC mentioned that he was fighting 20-30 rounds in his camp to prepare for this fight...with fresh fighters!!! He was smart in knowing that Izzy wasn't ready to go down in the first round, he was smart in his overall approach, and Izzy never could figure out a plan, it was a masterful fight imo.

There were times when the crowd was booing during the fight, and I was like WTF is wrong with you guys!?! If Sean would have fought with super aggression, he would have gotten KO'd like all the rest of Izzy's opponents. He admitted to being too cautious the first 3 rounds, but he still won 2 of those 3. I think his experience is from getting the crap kicked out of himself and knowing how to deal with adversity....he has turned it into a major strength for himself.

Now...whether he is champ for very long, I doubt it, but who knows. For the rest of his life, the white trash kid won the UFC middleweight belt, convincingly, and nobody can take that from him. He beat the 1-2 best of all time in doing it. I love it when a major underdog comes out on top, it is so cool. I say that as somebody who likes watching Izzy fight as well.

I can't add anything else. I am super glad the FOTN went to Kape/FDS, it was an awesome fight and possibly the break-out of a future champion in the making...for both guys. Tafa is so much like Mark Hunt, it's pretty cool to see. Hunt had an impenetrable dome though when he got clobbered, and I am not sure Tafa has that same benefit, lol.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Here was a pretty good post-fight interview with Strickland. Guy is humble and grounded for going through so much crap in his life. MMA saved his ass. I don't agree with everything he blurts out, though I like most of it, but I have to admit I have a special place in my heart for a kid that grew up as white trash, lol. I grew up in a hard, low-income white city and have seen so many kids-->men like him in my life. Most of my childhood friends were hooked on drugs in elementary and middle school, and this was in the 80's. Most have died, are in prison with some white gangs like AB and NLR etc, or they are MIA, or are still living the lifestyle. It's even worse now where I lived, except now a bunch of Mexican gangs have mingled their way into the mix like cockroaches.

Anyway...lol. Not sure if this will link right:

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Yeah, he is a regular guy. I like him even if some of the stuff he says is kinda crazy. Still great.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic